2023 World Baseball Classic

raysox

On 1/29/2023 at 4:06 PM, -Akronite- said:

The US cap logo is atrociously outdated. An interlocking US would look so much better. I saw a version of something like that years ago but can't find it now.

ff_2680499alt1_full.jpg%26w=900&f=1&nofb

Of course, I don't think anything can match the beauty of the DR's cap (either version). Though I've always been fond of Mexico's as well.

161_c45b5d5e-a3b4-4102-b1a9-87f2263a5777

3855157_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1%26wid=500%2

the entire USA set needs an update. it's truly terrible.

btw, if MLB wants to make this a global showcase, how about some promotion? the tournament starts in just over a month. let's see some unis! and MLB has virtually no merch available. nuts.

• Like 9

sig2024.png

6 hours ago, Brian E said:

btw, if MLB wants to make this a global showcase, how about some promotion? the tournament starts in just over a month. let's see some unis! and MLB has virtually no merch available. nuts.

Thats about normal for MLB merch too.  Usually the spring training gear is released in February, so with WBC rosters set to come out next week or so, the gear probably isnt far behind.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Thats about normal for MLB merch too.  Usually the spring training gear is released in February, so with WBC rosters set to come out next week or so, the gear probably isnt far behind.

yeah, you're probably right. just wild to me, because you know they'll over-order on inventory and then be selling the stuff at a 40% discount in april. might as well try to move some stuff now, even if it's not player-specific. 

• Like 2

sig2024.png

On 1/27/2023 at 1:36 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

The logo is, uhh, "quite similar" to the logo of the city of Charlotte... 🤔

Noooo, patented Hollandsekroon! Old family insignia.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/2/2023 at 8:57 AM, Brian E said:

Between MLB and NHL, I don't know who's worse when it comes to marketing their own game. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 1/27/2023 at 3:41 PM, TBGKon said:

That large flags as well as the gray underbrim make me think this might not be real.  I know the 59Fifty BP and spring training caps have the gray, but usually they on-field caps are black underbrim.

I was hopeful that these were a bad rendering at least but I saw a couple of US and PR hats at lids today and they’re legit. The flags are just as big as those renders make them look. Didn’t think to snap a picture.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

41 minutes ago, Seido_Ace said:

WBC hats are now live on New Era's site: https://www.neweracap.com/collections/world-baseball-classic

Wow, what a downgrade for China, which formerly had the best hat. I'm glad that I was able to get one in the previous style.

s-l500.jpg

Of the current batch, I think the best one is South Africa.

60358242_59FIFTY_2023WBC_WBCSAF_OTC_3QR_600x.png

The caps for New Zealand and France are good, too.

Most disappointing, along with the U.S., are Italy (here again, I'm glad I got one in the previous style, with the red outline on the white initial), Japan,  and Great Britain.  For Britain's first appearance in the WBC, they had a prototype cap with an interlocking GB.

s-l500.jpg

But they never actually wore it on the field.

And, of course, all the flags are obnoxiously large.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I rather like this logo the Mexican Pacific League has been using for the Caribbean Series more than the WBC one.

DPV_7UcX_400x400.jpg

The half-hearted 3D effect on the Germany hat is somehow more offensively ugly than if they had just done a boring, flat letter like Italy.

Flags should be half the size and on the left, but I know that would be offensive to our corporate overlords.

The baseball cap monogram is a poor fit for just about every one-word country. Why is China represented by an Old English C when they've historically been hostile to the English? Japan with an Old West J while being the Far East? Mixed metaphors abound. Israel and the Netherlands have the right idea, though admittedly, the Israel hat will be a huge hit with terrible amateur rappers who attend Tufts.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

All these hats suck.

It's weird to me that Japan, Korea, China, and Taiwan are in English letters. 

That's been the default for most teams from the start of baseball. Japan has used it for their pro teams forever, as has Korea and Taiwan. They have used their own alphabet for last names however. 

How Good Is the Japanese Professional Baseball League? | News, Scores,  Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Nippon Professional Baseball: 10 players to watch in Japan, including some  potential future MLB aces - CBSSports.com

Seibu Lions pitcher Yusei Kikuchi speaks to reporters at Tokyo Dome on July  3, 2017, after being added to the Pacific League All-Star team. The  two-game Japanese baseball All-Star series will be

Rakuten Eagles pitcher Masahiro Tanaka (L) and first baseman Daichi Suzuki  pose for a photo after a win over the Seibu Lions in a Pacific League  baseball game at Rakuten Seimei Park

Korean baseball could return by early May - MLB | NBC Sports

Korean Baseball Organization stops season amid COVID-19 surge - UPI.com

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's been the default for most teams from the start of baseball. Japan has used it for their pro teams forever, as has Korea and Taiwan. They have used their own alphabet for last names however.

Korea does use its language for names, but Japan does not.

cropped_image_l.jpg

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 2/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, Seido_Ace said:

WBC hats are now live on New Era's site: https://www.neweracap.com/collections/world-baseball-classic

I imagine Fanatics/MLBShop will update today as well especially since the official roster reveal is scheduled for this evening (6p ET).

Is the US the only country in the WBC (or in general) with the rule that the canton must be on the right side of the flag when the flag is placed on the right side of the wearer/vehicle? 

Australia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, and South Africa seem like they should be flipped horizontally, but maybe their flag usage doesn’t demand it.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Is the US the only country in the WBC (or in general) with the rule that the canton must be on the right side of the flag when the flag is placed on the right side of the wearer/vehicle? 

US Flag code dictates it, so it's likely the other countries don't have that restriction.