Minnesota North Stars logo concept (UNIFORMS 8/17, EXPANDED LOGO SET 8/16)

B-mer

Once again, @StevenGrant94 inspired me with his work. His latest look at "If the North Stars Never Left" got the wheels spinning, and I wanted to take a crack at an updated logo for them. What I came up with is a combo of elements from 3 teams: basic concept of the original North Stars logo, the shooting star from the Wild's logo, and the beveled letter from Dallas's current logo. I wanted it to be a little more cohesive compared to the old mark. 

spacer.png

I feel like the bevelling might need some work, and I have a lot of color combos i tried but this seemed the best to me. I'll post those as well but i'd love to hear suggestions.  

• Like 4

• B-mer changed the title to Minnesota North Stars logo concept

Still playing with this, but think i like it a little simpler without the extra strokes. Here's one with more of a drop shadow effect like the original.spacer.png

Is this a step in the right direction? I like keeping the star gold, and still want to keep it connected to the N, so does this work?

• Like 7

Alright, sorry for being post-happy, but i'm continuing to tweak and think i'm getting it nearly there. These versions are with the star straightened out a little, before it had some curve to it. The last one also uses the gold color from the Wild's palette (green as well with these and previous post)

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B-mer said:

Still playing with this, but think i like it a little simpler without the extra strokes. Here's one with more of a drop shadow effect like the original.spacer.png

Is this a step in the right direction? I like keeping the star gold, and still want to keep it connected to the N, so does this work?

I think this is the best one - the bevel isn't doing much for me. I prefer the slight curve on the star as well.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

Expanding the logo set, or at least attempting to. I've seen other concepts for Wild logos that are similar. I did keep the star straight, but edited the accent/bevel on it a little. Roundel would be the shoulder logo, while the stand-alone M-Star would be for an alternate uniform.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• B-mer changed the title to Minnesota North Stars logo concept (EXPANDED LOGO SET 8/16)
  • B-mer changed the title to Minnesota North Stars logo concept (UNIFORMS 8/17, EXPANDED LOGO SET 8/16)

YES! 

When I first saw the beveled logo, I thought that it reminded me too much of Nashville, out of context.  The way you've pulled this together as a coherent brand is awesome. The Minnesota Wild have, in my opinion, the best logo not only in the NHL, but in all professional sports. So, if the Wild were never born, therefore the logo never created... I would still consider this a top 5-10 brand in the NHL.

Nice work!

• Love 1

6 hours ago, AHcreative said:

YES! 

When I first saw the beveled logo, I thought that it reminded me too much of Nashville, out of context.  The way you've pulled this together as a coherent brand is awesome. The Minnesota Wild have, in my opinion, the best logo not only in the NHL, but in all professional sports. So, if the Wild were never born, therefore the logo never created... I would still consider this a top 5-10 brand in the NHL.

Nice work!

Thanks! 

The N-Star logo is really nice. Not sure I like it better than the late 1980s logo but a decent update. And the uniform you design with it is pretty close to perfect.

I think the M logo is nice but I don't think it's compatible with the N-Star logo because of the four-pointed star. I think the state/star should logo (which is very nice) is a great patch for the N-Star jersey and then the M logo and roundel shoulder patch go together as a completely different concept. 

Good stuff.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

The N-Star logo is really nice. Not sure I like it better than the late 1980s logo but a decent update. And the uniform you design with it is pretty close to perfect.

I think the M logo is nice but I don't think it's compatible with the N-Star logo because of the four-pointed star. I think the state/star should logo (which is very nice) is a great patch for the N-Star jersey and then the M logo and roundel shoulder patch go together as a completely different concept. 

Good stuff.

Thanks. Fair points and that was something I considered with the M-star, but it fit better than trying to force the 5point star and both shapes came up in graphic research for “North Star”. I figured as a secondary mark it might pass by. 

I suppose an alternative could be to place the state/star in the roundel. I thought after of including the MPLS + St Paul from the winter classic logo as well, just within the state shape