Attempting to salvage the XFL 2023

WideRight

Houston Roughnecks

First off, I hate a lot about the current 2023 Roughneck look, especially the three-tone helmet and the yoke.  But there are several elements that are salvageable.   They have 2 solid logos, and the idea of an "oil slick" effect on striping and numbers is a good one.   That said, a lot needs to go. 

Keeping from 2023:   Primary and secondary logo, oil slick as a motif

Ditching;  The yoke, the helmet, all "Texas" themed elements since there are 3 teams in Texas, not just one. 

Adding:  A helmet effect similar to the 2019 AAF Memphis Express.   Greater use of the blue to red oil slick effect.

I am still not entirely comfortable with having blue numbering (even half-numbers) on a blue jersey, part of my distaste for color on color numbers in general, but for the sake of the overall look, i stick with it. 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Yawn 1

4 hours ago, eegl75 said:

the red outlines of the numbers on the blue jersey dont realy work

I think the bigger issue is the gradient. Going from white to blue on a blue jersey makes the red outlines necessary in order to see the blue-on-blue bottom half of the numbers. Perhaps the better solution, if you're going to use a gradient, is to make it a white-to-red transition on the numbers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I think the bigger issue is the gradient. Going from white to blue on a blue jersey makes the red outlines necessary in order to see the blue-on-blue bottom half of the numbers. Perhaps the better solution, if you're going to use a gradient, is to make it a white-to-red transition on the numbers.

I had a similar thought. A white-to-red transition with the red outline would be easier to see, and be consistent with the away jersey in the sense that the outline is the same color as the bottom of the digits.

That comment aside, I really like this. I agree the IRL uniforms are just too much with the asymmetrical 3-tone helmet, etc. Greater use of the oil slick motif gives it more cohesion and because its a common trait it feels less busy even though it's about the same number of elements that the IRL uniforms possess.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Next up is San Antonio.  There is actually a lot I like about this design, so a lot remains the same, but with a few tweaks. 

Kept from 2023 XFL:  Primary logo (not the best, but as broasted chickens go, a pretty good depiction),  helmet design, use of the crackle effect, yellow "light" jersey

Other elements:  I brought back the original secondary logo, which the team seems to have swapped out for the Alamo monogram.  i expanded the use of the crackle effect to the sleeves and collar.  Got rid of the wide pant stripe and went with a Jax Jaguar-esque knee band instead.  

spacer.png

• Like 4

Some minor revisions to Houston, and then the last of the 8 teams the Dallas Renegades (note, Dallas, not Arlington). 

spacer.png

Now, what is the deal with the Renegades.   I know Arlington wants some respect, but sorry, just like Orchard Park, East Rutherford, or Santa Clara, these towns only exist because they sprung up as suburban options for folks from the actual big city right there, so the team keeps the big city name, not the suburban sprawl town name.  

So, Dallas Renegades are back, which means the new DR logo actually makes sense.  It's fine as a secondary, so that is what it is.  The masked bandit is back to being the primary. 

Elements retained from 2023:  Secondary Logo, use of a thin line within the number font.

Elements from 2020:  Primary logo, more traditional striping, more use of red.

Original:  I played with the striping and decided the thick stripe with a thin "stripe cap" in red worked pretty well.  Decided to put the secondary on the hips and leave the sleeves blank.  Number font is not the curved font of 2023, but a more angular font for the numbers. 

spacer.png

• Like 2