British Gridiron League - 16/16 Coventry Titans

raysox

Hull Norsemen

This one was a fun one, because it was a bit of a challenge. How to create a strong football logo, that doesn't directly rip from an existing football team? The vikings raiders and traders went to current day England in the 800s, settling in the east and midlands. I thought this was fitting for a team in Hull. The colors are a tie to the Hull City colors of amber and black. The logo is a bearded viking, wearing a horned football helmet. The shadow of the helmet casts over his face to feel mysterious and imposing. The font is something I found on a font website that lended itself to about 80% of the fonts used in this project.

The uniforms use the amber on the helmet and pants, but I went with a menacing black top with a simple sleeve design. The original logo I created, a horned H on a shield, finds itself on the sleeve and pants, which is a good reminder to push your designs.
Hull-Norsemen.png

BGL-Hull-ALL.png

This design started a stretch of some of my best work as a designer, period. I hope you all check in over the next week to see what i've made!

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Applause 3

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 6/16 Hull Norsemen
10 hours ago, raysox said:

Hull Norsemen

This one was a fun one, because it was a bit of a challenge. How to create a strong football logo, that doesn't directly rip from an existing football team? The vikings raiders and traders went to current day England in the 800s, settling in the east and midlands. I thought this was fitting for a team in Hull. The colors are a tie to the Hull City colors of amber and black. The logo is a bearded viking, wearing a horned football helmet. The shadow of the helmet casts over his face to feel mysterious and imposing. The font is something I found on a font website that lended itself to about 80% of the fonts used in this project.

The uniforms use the amber on the helmet and pants, but I went with a menacing black top with a simple sleeve design. The original logo I created, a horned H on a shield, finds itself on the sleeve and pants, which is a good reminder to push your designs.
Hull-Norsemen.png

BGL-Hull-ALL.png

This design started a stretch of some of my best work as a designer, period. I hope you all check in over the next week to see what i've made!

I'd argue that this is a wonderful design for a Viking based team. Out of curiosity what was that don't website called? 

7 hours ago, Dion Jones Jr. said:

I'd argue that this is a wonderful design for a Viking based team. Out of curiosity what was that don't website called? 

Yeah it's here https://pixelsurplus.com/collections/free-fonts

Just why we're playing around, here is the same logo in the vikings colors

Hull-Norsemen-Viking.png

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

Greater Manchester Inferno

One thing in the back of my head I wanted to do was have a shield logo kicking around. Not that I planned for it to be for Greater Manchester, but I think it works. Wait, what about that name huh? Well, it's the name of the county that Manchester is in obviously. I chose that because the stadium I penciled them in to play in is in Bolton and I was unsure how cool it would be to use it for a large suburb. The crest features a GM monogram with flames at the bottom to fill the negative space.

THe uniforms are a bit Jacksonville Jaguars with cues from the  Kansas City Chiefs. I didn't want to have much black at all, so I used sparingly. I also made their helmet matte to stand out from the other teams.

Greater-Manchester-Inferno.png

BGL-Greater-Manchester-ALL.png

• Like 7

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 7/16 Greater Manchester Inferno
12 hours ago, raysox said:

Greater Manchester Inferno

One thing in the back of my head I wanted to do was have a shield logo kicking around. Not that I planned for it to be for Greater Manchester, but I think it works. Wait, what about that name huh? Well, it's the name of the county that Manchester is in obviously. I chose that because the stadium I penciled them in to play in is in Bolton and I was unsure how cool it would be to use it for a large suburb. The crest features a GM monogram with flames at the bottom to fill the negative space.

The Toughsheet Community Stadium isn't in the town of Bolton, rather the Metropolitan borough -  it's on the outskirts of a town called Horwich and is 5 miles from the actual town of Bolton itself. Many people consider what is Greater Manchester to still be either Lancashire or Cheshire depending on what county it was previously part of, and nobody considers Bolton to be a suburb of Manchester  - it is its own town, like most of the towns in what is called Greater Manchester. The Toughsheet is far from being a well located Stadium,  the City of Manchester Stadium or Old Trafford (as run down as that place is) would be better bets.  So I would change the name to Manchester Inferno and have the team play at the City of Manchester Stadium, which is a bigger venue and much easier to get to than the stadium in Horwich.

I'd also just use the name Manchester Inferno, as it's almost certainly what everyone would call the team anyway. You could even keep the GM in the logo (which looks great) and have it stand for "Gridiron Manchester".

• Like 1

appreciate the feedback, this one I made assumptions for. I didn't really think Old Trafford would be rolled out to host a team since Man United would be protective of the field. BUt then again, the Glazers are their owners.

I'll take a look at some changes later this week!

@timberwolf DM me ^^

Brighton Waves

This team was a layup name that I figured I could brand, but really felt the name was bland. I was open to changing it up until I really started working. Originally, I had planned an Orlando Magic color scheme, including black into blue and silver. It felt very muddled down and you can tell from my tone in the tweet that I knew there was something but I couldn't figure out what. Turns out, some inspiration came from watching my Bucs get torn apart by the Detroit Lions. I dropped the black for a cleaner look. I hand drew a wave to fill the bottom half of the B. I also put a W in the foam of the wave, just so you can remember the team name!

The uniforms are Lions inspired as well, but also mimic the New Orleans breakers helmets since they're so cool. This is my girlfriend's favorite helmet, so you better all like it! I didn't overthink the striping, just use white and silver where I could. 
Brighton-Waves.png

BGL-Brighton-ALL.png

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 8/16 Brighton Waves
On 10/29/2023 at 10:06 AM, raysox said:

appreciate the feedback, this one I made assumptions for. I didn't really think Old Trafford would be rolled out to host a team since Man United would be protective of the field. BUt then again, the Glazers are their owners.

I'll take a look at some changes later this week!

They play the Rugby League championship there every year, so depending on how many extra games we're talking about they might allow it. It's in worse shape than Bolton at the moment though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Leicester Wolfpack
Crossing another team off the generic team name list. Leicester City is the foxes, and nearby Wolverhampton is the Wolves. I wanted to use the Wolfpack name, but make them super different from the others. I went with a Washington State inspired color palate. The logo is a fierce modern wolf that has a second wolf in the negative space, inspired by Hofstra's double Lion logo. The pupil on the eye of the logo has cinquefoil to reference back to Leicestershire County.

The uniforms have basic sleeve stripes and two spikes on the chest for a modern look, paired with some sharp angles on the pants to the same striping.

Leicester-Wolfpack.png

BGL-Leicester-ALL.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 9/16 Leicester Wolfpack