British Gridiron League - 16/16 Coventry Titans

raysox

35 minutes ago, raysox said:

I haven't played it, but there's a game called Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2024 that looks serviceable and modable from the youtube videos i've watched.

Madden 19 or 20 could work, as well as 2K05. Either of them should be pretty cheap. I believe Thomas Hatfield used Madden 22 for his league series that started as World Gridiron. For Madden there's a lot of layers for adding logos and such, but it's an option as well if you'd still have to pay for Draft Day.

kMGwTNz.png

fIzPvf2.png

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Merseyside Shipwrights

Boxed myself into a corner naming this Liverpool team after a profession, but I guess the Steelers fall into line too. A shipwright is a person that builds ships. Liverpool, or the greater area Merseyside, is known for that. Easy peasy. 

I made an M logo with a ship crashing through waves in the negative space at the top of the letter. I made it asymmetric because it began to look like a bird with two symmetrical sides. The colors were something I was excited to use. It's kind of Dolphins-y, but a darker shade of green to match a few ships I found online. The rust orange color comes from the paint on the bottom half of a sea liner ship.

The uniforms are the most modern in this series, taking cues from the Dolphins and Falcons. The pants are interchangable so long the orange side stripe matches.

Merseyside-Shipwrights.png

BGL-Merseyside-ALL.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 13/16 Merseyside Shipwrights

London Hornets

This name felt appropriate for a team in London, mostly due to the downfall of the London Wasps rugby team. This team would be a crosstown rival of the London Lightning playing at Tottenham, while the Hornets play at the rugby center of England, Twickenham - who has hosted NFL games before. I created a stinger-forward hornet at an angle using a green and faded yellow color, paired with off white. The eye is a honey comb shape.

The home uniforms were inspired by the Packers alternates, that they funny enough wore this week. I wanted a classic look, and I feel like the yellow details paired with the numbers on the helmets did this. The away uniforms did end up looking like the Packers, but that's a feature not a bug.
London-Hornets.png

BGL-Hornets-ALL.png

• Like 7

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 14/16 London Hornets

Interesting idea. Ive lived in the UK my whole life and never encountered a hornet if I'm honest, though climate change seems to have introduced some Asian hornets in the South East apparently. Only issue with the Wasps connection is that The Stoop, the stadium attached to Twickenham is the home of Harlequins, the long time rival of Wasps. nice rendering of the logo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, raysox said:

Thanks everyone.

Small update but I have officially finished this in the back end, including two small redos of Manchester and Bristol.

I would be interested in a tweak for Newcastle with a shade of teal closer to that found on the wings of a Magpie. I like the uniforms as they are, but I feel like using an accent colour more faithful to the shade of teal would make it even better.

Wales Dragons

Little bit of a layup for a name, but I think it's a strong identity to build around. The dragon on the Welsh flag is a little unique, with a pointed chin, a big ear, and spiked tongue. I tried to bring all of that in to really lean into the uniqueness of that specific dragon. The colors are red and green, as to represent all of Wales. 

The uniforms are kind of simple, but kind of modeled after some Rams uniforms where the uniforms have a big loop and different colored sleeves. THe helmet and pants were kept clean, otherwise.
Wales-Dragons.png

BGL-Wales-ALL.png

• Like 8

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 15/16 Wales Dragons

Coventry Titans
Last team! People on twitter really wanted to see Coventry, and this team threw me for a loop for a bit. But the more I looked into the city, the more obvious the team logo became. Coventry has a lot of elephant imagery, including the town crest and several buildings in the area. I went with Titans as a name, among a few options. The colors are sky blue and muted navy, to tie to other teams in the stadium. The checker board pattern throughout was a suggestion on twitter because local band The Specials used it on an album cover, and since then, the city has adopted it as a symbol of pride. 

The uniforms are what you'd expect with what I laid out. Think if UNC was Kentucky. That's what I was aiming for.
Coventry-Titans.png

BGL-Coventry-ALL.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 16/16 Coventry Titans
16 hours ago, raysox said:

thanks yeah I was worried about that and had these guys with black for a majority of the development

Can always be an alt, if you're gonna do those afterwards

Or maybe even a dark gray, you know, like an elephant

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.