British Gridiron League - 16/16 Coventry Titans

raysox

On 10/31/2023 at 1:17 PM, raysox said:

Leicester Wolfpack
Crossing another team off the generic team name list. Leicester City is the foxes, and nearby Wolverhampton is the Wolves. I wanted to use the Wolfpack name, but make them super different from the others. I went with a Washington State inspired color palate. The logo is a fierce modern wolf that has a second wolf in the negative space, inspired by Hofstra's double Lion logo. The pupil on the eye of the logo has cinquefoil to reference back to Leicestershire County.

I’ve always like that Hofstra logo, and I think you’ve paid homage to it very well here. Great execution.

gYH2mW9.png

5 hours ago, raysox said:

I think there's a few of these with 3+ pants options that I left off for the template.

I'm assuming these include stuff like gold pants for the Lightning, lime for the Concordes, maybe light blue for the Claymores?

Also let me guess, Dublin's team is green

• Like 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

14 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Also let me guess, Dublin's team is green

Sometimes you gotta play the hits

Dublin Harps

This name was a placeholder for a long time, and up until a week before I made this logo, I was consider changing it. But I thought of a logo that I really needed to sink my teeth into. I don't think i'm that good at script logos, but wanted to test myself. I made a cursive script for the Harps with an r being in the shape of a harp. Simple, although not subtle. 

The logo also allowed me to cross another football trope off the list in this league, a script helmet. The uniforms were inspired by the Eagles kelly green, but differ in a few ways. I did a consistent three stripe pattern on the pants and helmet, but wanted to make a shoulder stripe. I made a design replicating harp strings that loop around to the back. The bumper on the helmet has the saying "ní neart go cur le chéile", which translates to 'there's no strength without unity" which sounds so football-y.Dublin-Harps.png

BGL-Dublin-ALL.png

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Applause 2

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 10/16 Dublin Harps
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the break, I was in Mexico for work and wanted to fill up my back log before I started posting again.

Amsterdam Admirals
I wanted to keep these guys because the Netherlands and England do have a lot of direct flights, and this would expand the league's footprint to a major market on mainland Europe.

One of the two legacy teams in this project. I always felt like they had a really strong brand, but looking again, there wasn't too much I wanted to keep from their original set. What I did keep was the anchor from the crest, and the three X's from the Amsterdam flag. I felt like those were two strong things to build around, plus adding an A since the name is an illiteration.

The uniforms are simpler than they ever had been. I knew I wanted to make a stripe design with the three X's that would fit cleanly and be representative of the city. It was just a matter of mixing in orange, navy, and white in the same pattern.

Amsterdam-Admirals.png

BGL-Amsterdam-ALL.png

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 11/16 Amsterdam Admirals
18 hours ago, raysox said:

Sorry for the break, I was in Mexico for work and wanted to fill up my back log before I started posting again.

Amsterdam Admirals
I wanted to keep these guys because the Netherlands and England do have a lot of direct flights, and this would expand the league's footprint to a major market on mainland Europe.

One of the two legacy teams in this project. I always felt like they had a really strong brand, but looking again, there wasn't too much I wanted to keep from their original set. What I did keep was the anchor from the crest, and the three X's from the Amsterdam flag. I felt like those were two strong things to build around, plus adding an A since the name is an illiteration.

The uniforms are simpler than they ever had been. I knew I wanted to make a stripe design with the three X's that would fit cleanly and be representative of the city. It was just a matter of mixing in orange, navy, and white in the same pattern.

Amsterdam-Admirals.png

BGL-Amsterdam-ALL.png

Nice to see the Admirals here as they were my favorite NFLE team back in the day.

One critique I can offer is that the white jerseys would look better with Navy pants.

I would also suggest that you could get away with having the white socks have an orange/white/navy stripe pattern to mimic the Dutch flag. Or orange socks to pair with the navy pants.

2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I would also suggest that you could get away with having the white socks have an orange/white/navy stripe pattern to mimic the Dutch flag.

You couldn't. The Dutch flag is red, white and blue, the flag you've described is the Prince's Flag, which formed the basis for the Apartheid era South African flag and is strongly associated with, and used by the Far Right in the Netherlands.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

You couldn't. The Dutch flag is red, white and blue, the flag you've described is the Prince's Flag, which formed the basis for the Apartheid era South African flag and is strongly associated with, and used by the Far Right in the Netherlands.

I admit I wasn't aware of that till you mentioned it.

Maybe plain orange socks to go with the navy pants?

Leeds Gallants

Leeds was an obvious choice for this project, but I gave them a more abstract name for me to figure out branding later. I felt like Knights would be too generic, but a team with Knight imagery would  fit in perfectly. After invisioning a completely different concept that involved a banner and horse, I ended up drawing a suit of armor torso in a menacing style, lit up by color highlights. Originally, this concept was a play on claret and blue, but after I tweeted it, I got suggested making it closer to Leeds' usual color palette of blue and yellow.

The uniforms are pretty simple compared to others. If you think about it, not every team has a striping pattern or design. Very college feeling on this one. But I thought the three main colors were emphasized enough to stand out without any flashy designs.

Leeds-Gallants.png

BGL-Leeds-ALL.png

• Like 3

• raysox changed the title to British Gridiron League - 12/16 Leeds Gallants
4 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

At the end of this series, will you layout a table for which team would be in what division/conference? , Plus length of regular season and scheduling formula?

Yep I have a few things that show everything!

I also might get a football manager game and build this as a sim league when it's done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GriffinM6 said:

Amsterdam and Dublin look spectacular. I really like where you've started for Leeds, but it feels like there's something missing from the top of the knight's helmet. Perhaps you could add a flume like UCF's logo.

H0344-L340851039.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFzrAeH6kn93XP2KsknWY

Plumes weren't actually used on that specific helmet. But I think it's suffered from the same falsehood as Viking helmets, with extra adornments preferred that were never used. At least not in combat. They were included in ceremonial armor at times.

2014.112-A-RESIZE-e1635269254300.jpg?forgarniture.jpg

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

You've done killer work so far.

This is a personal thing, but I don't like the fact that three of the teams have the standard block number font. I think that every team in a league should have its own number font.

For the Harps, do you have an actual harp logo? I also think it'd be neat if you continued the striping pattern throughout the entire shoulder yoke, since harps have lots of strings.

• Like 1

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 11/14/2023 at 1:32 PM, raysox said:

I also might get a football manager game and build this as a sim league when it's done.

Is there such a thing? I'd be curious to try one

It's a block font, don't worry about it so much.

And like I said, it's a personal preference. I would prefer every team have different fonts, but that's a preference of mine. Like I said, you've done killer work on this series.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

16 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Is there such a thing? I'd be curious to try one

And like I said, it's a personal preference. I would prefer every team have different fonts, but that's a preference of mine. Like I said, you've done killer work on this series.

I appreciate it, I mean't no harm. Block font is the most digestible font for a football uniform, and it feels like it's both simple and timeless. I counted 4 of the 15 finished concepts using them, and it mostly comes down to the font I used on the actual concept. You'll see the second London team soon, and I had a modified version of the font I used but it just didn't look as good as reliable ol' block.

I haven't played it, but there's a game called Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2024 that looks serviceable and modable from the youtube videos i've watched.

Think i'll post Liverpool's team later today