2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

1 hour ago, SenatorJake said:

While I agree that the Thrashers is a pretty poor name because half the NHL's audience still has no clue what it means or what a Thrasher is, it's an identity that was dreamt up by the legend Ted Turner himself. This is certainly one of the more interesting name origins in the NHL, and for that reason, I totally dig it.

Firebirds is also a great name given the circumstances.

How is naming the team after the state bird any different than any other identity that was "dreamt up" the someone?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, McCall said:

How is naming the team after the state bird any different than any other identity that was "dreamt up" the someone?

Most sports teams' names aren't a unilateral decision made by a mega-famous, eccentric billionaire who paid the expansion fee with his WCW money.

thecatch.jpg

22 hours ago, SenatorJake said:

The 2007 design for the Flames was even worse than what you're showing here.

JAROME IGINLA 2007 CALGARY FLAMES REEBOK PREMIER NHL JERSEY MEDIUM | eBay

Truly one of the worst re-designs of 2007. Absolutely brutal.

My opinion is that the Flames uniforms never should've changed after winning the Stanley Cup in 1989. That's the perfect look for them.

I have no idea how those lasted as long as they did. They were one of the last teams to move off the edge designs too somehow. (No idea how the Capitals are still going. They have to just be waiting for Ovechkin to retire at this point)

17 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I disagree.  The original scheme was perfection.

0cZi7fg.jpg

JQ0nd10.jpg

Imma say something about the Sharks...

...The silver should stay; its the orange that should go.

tumblr_nlnlak3PAg1qz9wlpo1_500.gifv

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

26 minutes ago, VikWings said:

I have no idea how those lasted as long as they did. They were one of the last teams to move off the edge designs too somehow. (No idea how the Capitals are still going. They have to just be waiting for Ovechkin to retire at this point)

I don't know why but I've always sensed a sort of aloofness about Flames ownership. Not really hockey lifers like Ilitch or Karmanos or Jacobs, it's always just been a consortium of oil-and-gas men. So I can see how some slick marketing guy from Reebok could approach them with some drivel about performance armpits and how vertical striping panels make players look slimmer and faster and them just being like "yeah sure ok" and then getting back to their actual resource-extraction jobs. Then again, the Oilers were run by a hockey nerd in Daryl Katz who let them talk him into "looking like the Baltimore Ravens," so who's to say.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, AstroCreep said:

I never understood the flags and their purpose on the jersey. Did the Flames ever give a reason why they were included in the first place? 

CEO, Ken King thought it'd be novel if the jersey had crests representing the City, Provine and Country.