2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

I'll allow that it was the right move to go back to the colors, but the logo itself was not great. You had the banner and wordmark forming a Chevrolet logo, the afterthought "Los Angeles," and the speedline Kings script, which now feels as dated as the 1998 script they've clung to. 

The standalone crown, maybe cleaned up and simplified a bit, should have become their canonical primary logo when they shook off the last of the purple. 

• Like 14

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'll allow that it was the right move to go back to the colors, but the logo itself was not great. You had the banner and wordmark forming a Chevrolet logo, the afterthought "Los Angeles," and the speedline Kings script, which now feels as dated as the 1998 script they've clung to. 

The standalone crown, maybe cleaned up and simplified a bit, should have become their canonical primary logo when they shook off the last of the purple. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. A crown front and center is all they need.

• Like 8

sig.png

19 hours ago, LMU said:

Starting this now as we have our first rumor. Kings looking to change, possibly going back to the Gretzky logo.

Based on the success of their 2 Reverse Retro uniforms, it would make the most sense to go back to the purple(Forum Blue) and yellow-gold with white as the light base. The classic jeweled crown by itself and updated would make the most sense, no matter what colour scheme.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Based on the success of their 2 Reverse Retro uniforms, it would make the most sense to go back to the purple(Forum Blue) and yellow-gold with white as the light base. The classic jeweled crown by itself and updated would make the most sense, no matter what colour scheme.

They won't go back to purple and gold as long as Luc Robitaille is president. He pretty much said at a luncheon last year that I attended that they are a Black and Silver team. I figure if they change, as someone mentioned about they will go to a look of their 3rd as home and away.

47 minutes ago, mjarvie said:

They won't go back to purple and gold as long as Luc Robitaille is president. He pretty much said at a luncheon last year that I attended that they are a Black and Silver team. I figure if they change, as someone mentioned about they will go to a look of their 3rd as home and away.

My obligatory reminder that the Kings have always borrowed identity elements from a team from Los Angeles or a team named the Kings. Heretical as it may seem, either the Ducks or Golden Knights color scheme would have finally given them their own path.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ion' know,  I kinda favored this crest and typography:

nhl--los_angeles_kings_2000.gif

Even stripping all the purple out of that amd making it straight black/silver/white would be a more distinctive way to go than the Chevrolet logo...but then, a/ nostalgia is a he—well, finish the sentence; and b/ I'm not one of [whatever exists of] Kings Nation, so ultimately my opinion matters nada, so...

...Anyway, so this is interesting, regarding next season's uniform pairings:

Getting back to the two-jersey limit for next season, keep in mind that the league likes it when home and road jerseys share the same crest. This also makes it easier on jersey manufacturers. If Fanatics is truly going to limit teams to just two jerseys next season, the Kings would need to decide — (a) keep the current home/road combination pretty much as is, thereby ditching the chrome kit for next season or (b) switch to the white alternate jersey as the new road sweater, and create a black version to wear at home.

That, along with some pictures, came from this here, for those who haven't read it yet.

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, mjarvie said:

If the Kings keep the black and silver full-time, they should just use the classic jeweled crown on its own on the same current 3rd and matching black. Use the Chevy shield as the official team logo but the jeweled crown as the sweater crest.  Use purple and yellow-gold as a 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCL said:

The Kings should find a fourth other California sports team to rip off this next design go around.

The Kings only ripped off the Raiders. Their first NHL season was the NBA Lakers' first season in purple(Forum blue) and yellow-gold after years of wearing double blue and white.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Kings only ripped off the Raiders. Their first NHL season was the NBA Lakers' first season in purple(Forum blue) and yellow-gold after years of wearing double blue and white.

What many people don't know is Bruce McNall was looking to change the Kings to a dark blue and silver team because that was the colors of his company. Also when Gretzky showed off the jersey, the league had no idea the Kings were changing their uniforms and it caught the league off-guard. Thus now you have the rule where you have to alert the league of possible change,

• Like 1
  • WOAH 2

9 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Sacramento Kings changed their scheme to black, purple, silver and white in 1994, and the LA Kings changed to the same colours for the home and away for the 1998-99 season, though with different shades for the purple and silver.  Though LA did come up with the Burger King for the 1995-96 season and I think parts of that monstrosity might have been concieved before the Hardwood Kings made their colour change, including the decision to reintroduce gold and purple.

8 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

If we're being reminded of the fact that the NHL prefers teams to have the same front crest logos on home and away uniforms, will they pressure the Hurricanes to do this rather than the three different ones they have now?

Perhaps they should.

Kings should take the white jersey, get rid of the piping on the sleeves and make a black version.  Use the modern crown as the logo.  I would even be okay with them keeping the current logo, though changing the font on the LA.  And, never wear chrome helmets and white gloves ever again.

2 hours ago, M4One said:

Kings should take the white jersey, get rid of the piping on the sleeves and make a black version.  Use the modern crown as the logo.  I would even be okay with them keeping the current logo, though changing the font on the LA.  And, never wear chrome helmets and white gloves ever again.

White gloves are nothing. Chrome helmets, though, would be more of special thing than part of a regular set.