2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

It's going to be the top-left one as a spiritual continuation of the Whalers' logo, right down to claiming there's an H in the negative space.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

It's going to be the top-left one as a spiritual continuation of the Whalers' logo, right down to claiming there's an H in the negative space.

Good observation. That execution of it ain't hitting (the top-left), but the idea of that could work well as a secondary/shoulder patch if rendered the right way.

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Par for the course from the Hurricanes organisation. 

I find all the primary concepts to be an unnecessary downgrade from their current logo (which has always been underrated imo, and has stanley cup history). But at least this might meant they'll actually commit to an identity instead of constantly being all over the place.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The Canes logos: 

Top Left: Neat idea... for a name & number font and Captain's "C", but not a primary logo. 

Top Right: Good idea of going for a negative space thing ala Whalers, but it looks forced, and not sure it'd work on a jersey. 

Mid Left: Terrible. 

Script and variations: I like it, but for merch, not for a jersey itself. 

• Like 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

The two C-storms are a definitely downgrade from what they have- they feel ECHL-y. The script is mediocre but at least sort of works. The C with the flags is...competent, maybe a lateral move? The Hurricanes are low-key among the biggest aesthetic disasters in the big five, though, so I can see them making this change.

Carolina's "vintage-inspired" specialty jersey uses a serifed version of the current Canes C.

• Hurl 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/23/2024 at 11:23 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

No one cares about the Blue Jackets. Why is it in Columbus?

You don't have to be this guy. Lots of people care about the Blue Jackets. It's in Columbus because they haven't participated in an outdoor game yet and there's a famous outdoor sports venue in the city that would've been used years ago, but the outgoing OSU athletic director was a stubborn wrench that prevented any discussions with the NHL and Ohio State. He's finally retiring and getting out of the way, which is why it's now happening in Columbus. 

On 2/23/2024 at 12:20 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I wonder if people in Columbus actually care about them.

They do. Currently averaging >93% capacity with a reliable season ticket base to watch a team who's going to miss the playoffs for the fourth straight year. 

On 2/23/2024 at 12:20 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm surprised they haven't been a topic of any relocation talk.

That's because they aren't a candidate for relocation. At all. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

Carolina, this isn't hard. You brought back your best uniform ever as an alternate last year, wore it in the playoffs, and then inexplicably dumped them for the previous red jersey . . .

spacer.png

Just bring back the road version as well spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Applause 5

On 3/20/2024 at 4:12 PM, Sport said:

You don't have to be this guy. Lots of people care about the Blue Jackets. It's in Columbus because they haven't participated in an outdoor game yet and there's a famous outdoor sports venue in the city that would've been used years ago, but the outgoing OSU athletic director was a stubborn wrench that prevented any discussions with the NHL and Ohio State. He's finally retiring and getting out of the way, which is why it's now happening in Columbus. 

They do. Currently averaging >93% capacity with a reliable season ticket base to watch a team who's going to miss the playoffs for the fourth straight year. 

That's because they aren't a candidate for relocation. At all. 

I'll vouch for this.

I've never been a die-hard hockey fan, but I've been to 2 CBJ games in my lifetime and despite both being losses, I had a blast each time. Looking to go again before the season's over to take my girlfriend out for her birthday. A ton of my colleagues are season ticket holders as well.

You'd think the 'Jackets were annual playoff contenders the way the crowds show up at Nationwide. Not only is it a great venue itself, but there are tons of great restaurants and bars within a short walk. 

• Like 1

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

1 hour ago, LAWeaver said:

I'll vouch for this.

I've never been a die-hard hockey fan, but I've been to 2 CBJ games in my lifetime and despite both being losses, I had a blast each time. Looking to go again before the season's over to take my girlfriend out for her birthday. A ton of my colleagues are season ticket holders as well.

You'd think the 'Jackets were annual playoff contenders the way the crowds show up at Nationwide. Not only is it a great venue itself, but there are tons of great restaurants and bars within a short walk. 

That's great to hear. Honestly it's pretty impressive that the crowds are that good for a team that's pretty much had no chance at a championship. 

I will say this though... I'm pretty much an all around sports fan. I watch most major sports, golf, etc. The Jackets are super forgettable from an outsiders perspective.  That probably mostly has to do with the fact that they haven't been relevant in the standings. I think it also stems from a pretty strange identity with the neon hornet, to the cannon, etc. For a non Columbusian, there is almost no reason to follow them since they aren't a good hockey team and I don't find their visual identity appealing. Plus I follow the Blues, so I watch a lot more Western Conference teams.

But this post isn't meant to dog the franchise, just FYI. I'm glad that Columbus is supportive of them. And the posts you gave have written make me think a Blues road game in Columbus would be cool. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

Modern classic.  This should have never been changed.

They eventually got changed because of the random shoulder yoke outline that they added for the Reebok Edge transition

spacer.png

spacer.png

50 minutes ago, Patchey13 said:

Phantom yokes are one of the few Reebok designs that I don't mind.

I'm in the opposite boat. I used to not mind them, but now after they haven't been around for almost 10 years, I can't stand how they look when I see old pics of them. 

• Like 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

5 hours ago, ruttep said:

They eventually got changed because of the random shoulder yoke outline that they added for the Reebok Edge transition

spacer.png

spacer.png

Why was this even a thing? 

XM4KeeA.png

Don't know, but two theories:

1) Karmanos didn't want to do a full-scale rebrand for 07-08 because of his own traditionalist tendencies but also didn't think they could get away with big-timing the entire Edge concept the way the Devils and Blackhawks did, so they made a nominal change for the sake of change to goose sales

2) the Hurricanes under Karmanos were always a giant Red Wings LARP and he wanted the shoulders to stand out like they do on Detroit's white sweater

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Edge uniforms were originally supposed to be tucked in as this early prototype suggests.  I remember hearing that Karmanos fought RBK on this so they could keep their distinctive hem stripes intact.

nY4Nh17.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1
  • Hurl 1