2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

Salt Lake City Sun Devilzz. Let's go for the record for how many teams (AZ State, New Jersey), communities (Tempe, SLC), and religions (Mormons) we can alienate in one shot.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I saw a huge post of possible names and some of the ones I could get behind:

Utah Grizzlies (by far my favourite)

Utah Blizzard (but too close to an Avalanche I think)

Salt Lake City Saints

Salt Lake City Eagles (have to drop the "Golden" because of the Knights)

Salt Lake City Olympics (I mean the Expos did it so why not?)

Coyotes are native to Utah, so that could work.  I looked at a list of animals native to Utah and found some possible original options that haven't been said (not in the Big 4 leagues):

Foxes

Bighorns

Pronghorns

Jackrabbits

Merlins (hawk family)

Kestrels

5 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I mean although Utah doesn't scream 'Southwestern U.S.', the vast majority of it is a desert. It could work. Keep the logo and just tone down the striping patterns. 

And you know, now that you say this, as many times as I've been out to UT & Salt Lake specifically, I've never thought of it that way. I know it's west, but I never thought of it as southwest. Probably because Utah's probably more well known for the Wasatch Front...or the Delicate Arch in Moab. 

Anyway, perhaps IF the Coyotes were to move to Utah, the nickname and likeness of a coyote could be kept...but the environmental branding could be reworked around Wasatch and Red Rock imagery. 

(Of course this is also just me thinking out loud, so take that for the two cents it's worth...) 

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/10/2024 at 4:43 PM, Mingjai said:

If they’re not going use heritage names like Grizzlies or Golden Eagles or keep the Coyotes name, which works for Utah too, then my vote is Cutthroats, named after the state fish.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bonneville_cutthroat_trout

Hey, we've got a color scheme and logo all picked out and ready to go too........
Cutthroat_label.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

8 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I doubt they'd let a team be called the Cutthroats after last year's Adam Johnson incident. 

The incident with Clint Malarchuk sticks out in my mind...and not in a good way.  (If you've never seen it, it may still be on YouTube, but it is definitely NSFW or for squeamish stomachs.)

Anyway, that colorway seems like it'd transfer over to a potential Salt Lake/Utah Coyotes brand identity...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/11/2024 at 6:54 AM, Sodboy13 said:

And I recall the story after the move being that Winnipeg ownership was intending to bring the Moose moniker up to the NHL, to the point where they had commissioned prototype uniforms, but they realized "the Jets are coming back" was too strong a tide to fight and too much free money to turn down.

Oddly, the Coyotes removing the location name from their shoulder patches when they revived the Kachina would make it easier to just bring the same home and road looks to Utah.

yup, I even saw the Moose Logo slick prior to starting work on the Jets identity.

1 hour ago, MEANS said:

yup, I even saw the Moose Logo slick prior to starting work on the Jets identity.

Was it any different from their branding at the time? Or just a full elevation of the identity?

• Like 1

8prlQWA.png

Given that the name has to be Utah ____, I hope they don't try to force the 'Y' sound alliteration. Yetis and 'Yotes all ring a little hollow to me. (if they pick Unicorns, though.....)

It would be interesting to see them try to alliterate the 'Aw' sound instead. Foxes, Pronghorns, Tomatoes, etc...
That said, this is also a chance to exercise one of the long-running name candidates in Utah sports history. Utah State University tried it in the 70's, Real Salt Lake almost went for it in the aughts...is it finally time for the Utah Highlanders?

Thank you for reading.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE