2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

I think Utah Coyotes has a nice ring to it. The name works for the locale. They could tweak the logo and colors, if they want something new and fresh.  I’m not an NHL fan so maybe there’s too much baggage that I'm not fully aware of with the name to keep it?

There’s also the issue that most of the good names are taken at this point. Grizzlies or Raptors is obviously out of the question.  Bighorns might be cool if, but maybe it’s too close to the LA Rams. Elk would be awesome too, but it’s being used in the CFL. Maybe Pronghorns or mule deer might be a direction they could go if they’re dead-set on ditching coyotes.

Listening to Elliotte Friedman's podcast, he says offhand in a confident tone that the team will go by "Utah _____" rather than "Salt Lake City _____" with their new nickname, which makes sense in aligning with the Jazz. Not a huge bombshell but felt like it was worth mentioning.

spacer.png

If Salt Lake City gets an NHL team, what will it be called? ‘It’s got to be a momentum builder’ - The Athletic

This is what being said for team names

"Several of the suggestions have ties to Utah’s mountainous and rugged terrain, as the Yeti, Stag and Mountaineers have been floated out by several fans. There is some traction for the idea of the franchise adopting the Golden Eagles — the same nickname used by the wildly popular IHL team that thrived in Salt Lake City in the 1980s. 

Since Utah is known as “The Beehive State,” the suggestions of Hive or Stingers are also on the radar."

On 4/11/2024 at 10:10 AM, spartacat_12 said:

Based on the reporting, it seems like the league is trying to come up with a deal that allows them to move the team without risking being sued by Moruelo. Part of that deal likely involves preserving the branding for the imaginary future franchise (which will most likely never see the ice).

At that point they're halfway to a Charlotte Hornets retcon where they could reunify the NHL Winnipeg histories and declare the 1996-2024 franchise to be something new to be resumed.

I'm still waiting on the Seattle Supersonics that the Thunder have just been hanging onto in the meantime, by the way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, GFB said:

You could get away with a name like Clippers or Barons or Zephyrs decades ago, but in the era of Kraken and Wild and Lightning it has to be something more exciting to capture the public interest.

Two Soyjaks Pointing - HD Template with Background Removed

THE UTAH SANDWORMS! THE SPICE MUST FLOW! 

Spoiler

I hate that you're probably right. In the future please consider not being right

• LOL 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

48 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

At that point they're halfway to a Charlotte Hornets retcon where they could reunify the NHL Winnipeg histories and declare the 1996-2024 franchise to be something new to be resumed.

I'm still waiting on the Seattle Supersonics that the Thunder have just been hanging onto in the meantime, by the way.

We need to be careful about reunifying Winnipeg’s history, that’s a Pandora’s box in if itself, especially with another Canadian team that would suddenly be tied 3rd all time in Stanley Cups. 

zyyMk1d.png

1 minute ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Whatever terrible name they pick, I’m just hoping for a unique color scheme. Let’s get a primary purple uni back in the league! No red and black or double (triple) blues. 

Easy. Green, brown, light grey, and white. Bam, unique colour scheme that ties into Utah's state geography.

In other words, just copy what the Utah Grizzlies have and call it a day. You just have to ask permission, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I think Utah Coyotes has a nice ring to it. The name works for the locale. They could tweak the logo and colors, if they want something new and fresh.  I’m not an NHL fan so maybe there’s too much baggage that I'm not fully aware of with the name to keep it?

There’s also the issue that most of the good names are taken at this point. Grizzlies or Raptors is obviously out of the question.  Bighorns might be cool if, but maybe it’s too close to the LA Rams. Elk would be awesome too, but it’s being used in the CFL. Maybe Pronghorns or mule deer might be a direction they could go if they’re dead-set on ditching coyotes.

There is already a team in SLC called the Grizzlies and they have played in the IHL/AHL/ECHL

spacer.png

Getting a name through the copyright process in time for 2024/25 might be the biggest challenge. This took the Washington Commanders two years to do. The NHL Jets only got the name because the Coyotes were owned by the league and they just transferred the name to the team

Buying the naming rights to the Grizzlies might be their best option

Utah Ska

Utah Reggae

Utah Yotes

Utah Bumblebees

Utah Dutch Ovens

Utah Drylanders

Utah Sockeye

Utah Nordiques

Utah Utahans

Utah Landslide

Utah Non-Newtonian Fluids

Salt Lake City HC

Salt Lake City Saltines

Salt Lake City Super Soakers

Salt Lake City Stormin' Mormons

Salt Lake City Thunder

Rocky Mountain X-treme

1 hour ago, FCMacbeth said:

Easy. Green, brown, light grey, and white. Bam, unique colour scheme that ties into Utah's state geography.

In other words, just copy what the Utah Grizzlies have and call it a day. You just have to ask permission, though.

Technically, that "brown" color is more copper or gold, depending on the application. Copper is one color I'd love to see used by the team. Not sure what the change to Fanatics manufacturing brings, but hopefully it won't affect metallics materials--I'd love to see how copper would be handled like the Knights' gold or Kings' silver have been under Adidas.

If it's possible, bringing the Grizzlies name up to the NHL wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would bringing back the Golden Eagles, minus the Golden, thanks to Vegas. But either of those names would likely need to find a way past lawyers in Memphis and Philadelphia, which seems more difficult now than even in 2011 when "Jets" was used outside of a certain NFL team in New York. I'd love to see it happen, but it seems to add another speed bump to this whole transaction; hopefully I'm wrong.

That said, using a (slightly) different color scheme could help distinguish the original minor league variations of the Eagles or Grizzlies from the major league version. I could see an NHL version of the Utah Grizzlies maybe going with Purple/Black/Copper/Dark Green, for example. I could also see a Light Blue/Black/Purple color scheme as well, regardless of the team color--for some reason I like the idea of tapping the unused Quebec Nordiques color scheme, in terms of color and design. If the team name is bee-related, it's hard not to see anything other than some combination of Black and Yellow/Gold, though I'd be tempted to use a more Black/Creamsicle Orange pallet to hopefully stand out from Boston and Pittsburgh. I guess we'll see soon enough.

8 hours ago, clonewars2008 said:

We need to be careful about reunifying Winnipeg’s history, that’s a Pandora’s box in if itself, especially with another Canadian team that would suddenly be tied 3rd all time in Stanley Cups. 

That would be a good thing

• LOL 1

1 minute ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Is there enough time to get a new branding and uniforms by October?

Likely no.  They'd have to work out a whole permanent identity, including logos, uniforms, and a full brand strategy, and given that Fanatics can't even get MLB uniforms to the teams in time (and those are pre-existing designs), there's zero chance they'd be able to get stuff to NHL teams (or get merch in stores - I forget if they actually make the NHL uniforms).  MLB is top of their food chain.  NHL... probably close to the bottom.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."