2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

Utah Coyotes and keep the Kachinas, continuing the proud Utah tradition of their sports teams wearing another regions’ heritage like a hunting trophy

• Like 5
  • LOL 8

3 minutes ago, GFB said:

Utah Coyotes and keep the Kachinas, continuing the proud Utah tradition of their sports teams wearing another regions’ heritage like a hunting trophy

I love the Coyotes identity. I really hope they leave it in Arizona with the chance of an expansion team down the road if anyone ever gets their :censored: together. 

• Dislike 1

sig.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

Los Angeles Kings/Kansas City; Kansas City-Omaha; Sacramento Kings

New York Rangers/Texas Rangers

New York Jets/Winnipeg Jets

Carolina Panthers/Florida Panthers

New York Giants/San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals/Arizona Cardinals

Kansas City Royals/Cincinnati Royals (defunct)

Edmonton Oilers/Houston Oilers (defunct)

There's enough precedent.

The most recent of those was the Panthers in the 90s, most of the others 50 years+. Notice the pattern? Trademarks and lawsuits have all but made this trend a non-starter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Not sure an NBA team has much to say about an NHL team.

We already have the Kings in each league

Even if there aren't trademark issues, it just feels like a poor branding strategy to use a name that's already associated with a major pro team. Besides, we already have a bear-based team in the NHL, so Grizzlies wouldn't exactly be original.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I love the Coyotes identity. I really hope they leave it in Arizona with the chance of an expansion team down the road if anyone ever gets their :censored: together. 

I would think 28 years in the desert is long enough to realize it's just never going to work.  They got kicked out of their old building and are the tenant in a college arena.  How much lower can you go?  It's time to ship the Coyotes off to somewhere else and never look back.  I say Utah should just keep the name, but change the logos and jerseys around.  It probably would be better than anything else they might come up with.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I'd like to see a team use "Salt Lake City" instead of Utah. Not a lot of three-word city names out there, and I think it could prove important to differentiate a more gentile-based following from the very Mormon-based Jazz fanbase: Salt Lake City is now more than just the Mormons (at the expense of becoming Second Denver; the first one is mediocre enough as it is), whereas "Utah," well, less so. Basketball is part of Mormon culture and hockey isn't.

It’s because Mormons traditionally got enough fighting out of basketball that they didn’t need hockey. As they say about Mormon church basketball: “the brawl that begins with a prayer.”

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 hours ago, Mingjai said:

If they’re not going use heritage names like Grizzlies or Golden Eagles or keep the Coyotes name, which works for Utah too, then my vote is Cutthroats, named after the state fish.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Bonneville_cutthroat_trout

Who would you prefer to drop the ceremonial first puck, Clint Malarchuk or Richard Zednik?

• LOL 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Is there any chance we see a sort of "Washington Football Team" situation next year in Utah if this all goes through? Seems like a very rapid turnaround to rebrand the team, which sounds like a necessity due to some deals with Muruelo/Arizona, and Smith will probably want to get this right considering how the last rebrand he oversaw was received by fans. 

I could really see them rolling with something like what the PWHL has this year before committing to an identity full time.

toronto-pwhl-season-1-jersey---home--awa

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, henburg said:

Is there any chance we see a sort of "Washington Football Team" situation next year in Utah if this all goes through? Seems like a very rapid turnaround to rebrand the team, which sounds like a necessity due to some deals with Muruelo/Arizona, and Smith will probably want to get this right considering how the last rebrand he oversaw was received by fans. 

I could really see them rolling with something like what the PWHL has this year before committing to an identity full time.

toronto-pwhl-season-1-jersey---home--awa

The Thrashers sale and relocation to Winnipeg was announced May 20, 2011 and they had unis ready for the following season.  The only issue I could see at hand would be the Adidas to Fanatics transition and that may cause the possible Utah team to remain the Coyotes at least in the short term.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

The Thrashers sale and relocation to Winnipeg was announced May 20, 2011 and they had unis ready for the following season.  The only issue I could see at hand would be the Adidas to Fanatics transition and that may cause the possible Utah team to remain the Coyotes at least in the short term.

And I recall the story after the move being that Winnipeg ownership was intending to bring the Moose moniker up to the NHL, to the point where they had commissioned prototype uniforms, but they realized "the Jets are coming back" was too strong a tide to fight and too much free money to turn down.

Oddly, the Coyotes removing the location name from their shoulder patches when they revived the Kachina would make it easier to just bring the same home and road looks to Utah.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Always thought "Coyotes" as a team name is really cool. You can abbreviate it to Yotes or Dogs, comes with a fun howl cheer the fans can do. Plus it's got good logo potential. I wouldn't mind if they kept it for Utah. The kachina logo doesn't make much sense there, but neither does Jazz. 

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 minutes ago, Sport said:

Always thought "Coyotes" as a team name is really cool. You can abbreviate it to Yotes or Dogs, comes with a fun howl cheer the fans can do. Plus it's got good logo potential. I wouldn't mind if they kept it for Utah. The kachina logo doesn't make much sense there, but neither does Jazz. 

Theres always these....

Coyotes14.png

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

And I recall the story after the move being that Winnipeg ownership was intending to bring the Moose moniker up to the NHL, to the point where they had commissioned prototype uniforms, but they realized "the Jets are coming back" was too strong a tide to fight and too much free money to turn down.

Oddly, the Coyotes removing the location name from their shoulder patches when they revived the Kachina would make it easier to just bring the same home and road looks to Utah.

Coyotes is a fairly generic name, but the Kachina design is too Arizona-specific to work anywhere else. I'd also think that the Utah group is looking for a clean break from all the negative baggage associated with the Yotes.

Based on the reporting, it seems like the league is trying to come up with a deal that allows them to move the team without risking being sued by Moruelo. Part of that deal likely involves preserving the branding for the imaginary future franchise (which will most likely never see the ice).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Theres always these....

Coyotes14.png

Bettman would insist they keep the Arizona state shaped shoulder patch too - It's a dream market you guys

• Yawn 1

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10