2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

10 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Modern classic.  This should have never been changed.

The Adidas red jersey is miles ahead of the pre-Edge or Edge reds and if they'd just used a matching white version, the Hurricanes would've had their best set by far with the caveat that they should've changed the font. A non-italic version of the original font would be best.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

23 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

The Adidas red jersey is miles ahead of the pre-Edge or Edge reds and if they'd just used a matching white version, the Hurricanes would've had their best set by far with the caveat that they should've changed the font. A non-italic version of the original font would be best.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

They eventually got changed because of the random shoulder yoke outline that they added for the Reebok Edge transition

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tuomo Ruutu! Loved him in Chicago. When the Canes began, I hated their jerseys. Just too much red for my taste and clunky fonts. It wasn't until they started screwing with them that I realize how much they got it right the first time.

18 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

That's great to hear. Honestly it's pretty impressive that the crowds are that good for a team that's pretty much had no chance at a championship. 

If Josh Anderson doesn't get hurt against Boston the Blues might not have a cup and you'd have a different username. That team had more than a good chance at a championship. 

18 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I will say this though... I'm pretty much an all around sports fan. I watch most major sports, golf, etc. The Jackets are super forgettable from an outsiders perspective.  That probably mostly has to do with the fact that they haven't been relevant in the standings. I think it also stems from a pretty strange identity with the neon hornet, to the cannon, etc. For a non Columbusian, there is almost no reason to follow them since they aren't a good hockey team and I don't find their visual identity appealing. Plus I follow the Blues, so I watch a lot more Western Conference teams.

But this post isn't meant to dog the franchise, just FYI. I'm glad that Columbus is supportive of them. And the posts you gave have written make me think a Blues road game in Columbus would be cool. 

Fair and I don't disagree. If I could time travel back to 1997 and name them anything other than Blue Jackets I would. Too late now. 

But that's a different topic than "Nobody cares about them, they shouldn't even get the B version of the outdoor game, and I'm surprised they haven't relocated". 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

But that's a different topic than "Nobody cares about them, they shouldn't even get the B version of the outdoor game, and I'm surprised they haven't relocated". 

The whole two-arenas-on-the-same-street thing did give them a bit of a scare, though, didn't it? Like, if they hadn't come up with a single body to manage both buildings and keep them from cannibalizing the market, wouldn't they have been in some danger?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

The whole two-arenas-on-the-same-street thing did give them a bit of a scare, though, didn't it? Like, if they hadn't come up with a single body to manage both buildings and keep them from cannibalizing the market, wouldn't they have been in some danger?

The only scare according to my contact with the team was that the original lease agreement made it impossible to compete without losing piles of money (they were also GMed by a moron who made it impossible to compete by doing things like ignoring his scouts' advice and drafting Gilbert Brule instead of Anze Kopitar) That had nothing to do with the market or fanbase, was just a poorly designed agreement structure. Restructuring the lease agreement in 2011 brought them more in line with the rest of the league in terms of operating expenses. They used some standard "we would hate to have to move" tactics to get a new deal done, but it was never seriously considered. 

This connects back to OSU and the reason an outdoor game at Ohio Stadium hasn't been entertained until this year - Ohio State is a famously terrible partner to work with in Central Ohio. They don't give a honk about the rest of Columbus unless it has something to do with Ohio State. I very much doubt they would've cooperated on an arena in the late 90's if the hockey team had been amenable to it anyway. 

So, in conclusion, Columbus is fine. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The whole two-arenas-on-the-same-street thing did give them a bit of a scare, though, didn't it?

The what now?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

11 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The what now?

In the late 90’s OSU built a new pro-style basketball and hockey arena while the city/Blue Jackets built Nationwide Arena. They’re not literally on the same street. One is downtown, the other is on OSU’s campus. The problem it caused was two arenas competing for concerts and other events. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/22/2024 at 12:23 PM, ruttep said:

Carolina, this isn't hard. You brought back your best uniform ever as an alternate last year, wore it in the playoffs, and then inexplicably dumped them for the previous red jersey . . .

spacer.png

Just bring back the road version as well spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I agree with ruttep.

The Canes had it right the first time.

Preferably without the phantom yokes, but that's not a deal breaker.

One thing they would need to fix (and they've addressed this recently) is the secondary logo.

Is gotta be two flags (hurricane warning), not one flag (storm warning).

• Like 4

On 3/23/2024 at 1:21 AM, Kevin W. said:

The Adidas jersey was a big improvement over the Team Canada rip offs they had before, but the lack of silver & the barely noticeable flag pattern make it worse than the originals. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Adidas jersey was a big improvement over the Team Canada rip offs they had before, but the lack of silver & the barely noticeable flag pattern make it worse than the originals. 

The problem with the flag pattern has nothing to do with how visible it is.

• Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:42 AM, GFB said:

Did we ever come to a consensus on the “Canes logo looks better rotated 180°” idea?

Myth debunked: Toilet flushes

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/23/2024 at 1:21 AM, Kevin W. said:

Aucune description de photo disponible.

I remember seeing this concept on the nhluniforms Facebook page and was really hoping it would be that instead of the lame and ugly one they ended up with

• Like 3
  • Yawn 2

1 hour ago, Nordiks_19 said:

I remember seeing this concept on the nhluniforms Facebook page and was really hoping it would be that instead of the lame and ugly one they ended up with

If the Hurricanes had gone with that instead of the wordmark (though the wordmark jersey works well as an alternate, especially if they'd gone with a black version) they'd have one of the best sets in the league.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

This is basically Chicago's road jersey with red numbers and the black stripes extended to the end of the sleeves/hem.

• Like 2

Without the (non-sublimated) storm flag striping and silver accents, they look just like any other Red, Black and White team...  The inaugural set is miles better than the red Adidas version and its conceptual white counterpart.

• Applause 1