2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

5 hours ago, LMU said:

They called both shades of purple used ( 4b3048 for 1993-1994 through 1998-1999 and 512a44 for 1999-2000 through 2005-2006) just purple.  The reason for the change to a slightly different shade was probably colour matching, as the team changed to black pants and bucket for 1996-1999 and then changed back to purple for both in 1999-2000, which suggests the Ducks had an issue with getting the shades to match with the old purple, then resolving it for the 1999 - 2000 season. 

Both purple shades were more red than blue, unlike most big 4 teams who used shades that were more blue than red.

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

It was their 1992 throwback jersey, so not sure, but maybe

There were a number of variations of the Barberpole in terms of crest, jersey striping, sock striping and pants striping between 1937 and 1955, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a version the team hasn't worn as a throwback. They could also wear a version of the white jersey from 1940-1955 or their first jersey from 1926-1927, as they haven't worn them for a Winter Classic and those were used as the home uniforms back in the day (1951-1955 they used the white jersey as their home).

With the NHL officially announcing the Four Nations Faceoff happening instead of the All Star Weekend next year, I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of what Fanatics is looking to do with the jerseys down the line. The 2016 World Cup of Hockey was the debut of the Adidas templates before the NHL teams adopted them.

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

With the NHL officially announcing the Four Nations Faceoff happening instead of the All Star Weekend next year, I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of what Fanatics is looking to do with the jerseys down the line. The 2016 World Cup of Hockey was the debut of the Adidas templates before the NHL teams adopted them.

I guess that could make sense.  But who knows

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 11:20 AM, Nordiks_19 said:

https://theathletic.com/5254698/2024/02/06/blackhawks-winter-classic-wrigley-field/

Oh great, more Blackhawks in the Winter classic.. I'd see the Blues dust off their late 80s - early 90s look

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the Blues bring out a St. Louis Eagles-inspired sweater for the Winter Classic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the Blues bring out a St. Louis Eagles-inspired sweater for the Winter Classic.

I would be, the team lasted for a single season and were absolutely rank rotten, and the stale cherry on top was that they were the only team to play in an arena with racially segregrated seating.

3 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I would be, the team lasted for a single season and were absolutely rank rotten, and the stale cherry on top was that they were the only team to play in an arena with racially segregrated seating.

The Blues still have some nice sweaters that they haven't thrown back to. No reason to bring back the Eagles (even though I kind of love that jersey). I bet less than 1% of the city even knows who the Eagles were. 

I said this earlier on the thread. The Hull/Cujo/Shanahan era seems to be really logical to me.  

spacer.png

Red in blues jerseys acted like black for other teams. It worked so nicely on this set and then the 90s insanity took it to the extreme. But I love this set. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

They shouldn't throw back to the Eagles sweater because they're not the St. Louis Eagles.  They're the St' Louis Blues, a second six franchise started in 1967.  The Eagles were around for one season in 1935 and had an 11-31-6 record.  Not exactly a sterling history worth remembering.

A 1987-1994 throwback, with a few tweaks, has the potential to look amazing.  Hopefully this is the direction they take.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Aside from all that, the Eagles never even had memorable jerseys. Their uniforms were basically identical to Tampa's current away set, which is already derivative of the Leafs.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I'm confused. Many teams have taken inspiration from past local professional hockey teams for Winter Classic uniforms. Suddenly we're deciding the Blues aren't allowed? Give me a break.

I was thinking the same thing, other teams have done some far reaching stuff as well for inspiration.

St Louis Braves was their minor league, which was the Blackhawks farm team, so they just wore Blackhawks uniforms

So the other choice is this.

image-asset.png

Just replace Flyers with Blues in St Louis blues colors and replace the stars with the Blues logos

image.png

I did a quick crappy photoshop of what they would look like, I didn't replace all the stars,

35 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I'm confused. Many teams have taken inspiration from past local professional hockey teams for Winter Classic uniforms. Suddenly we're deciding the Blues aren't allowed? Give me a break.

PS - I realize some folks have concerns about the actual jersey design, which is totally reasonable.

Yeah, and they've all looked underwhelming at best.  The worst of which, being the Dallas Texans fauxback which resulted in little more than a green Detroit template with a logo whose only interesting feature was the felt material it was made of.  Just because a design is old, doesn't mean it's worth bringing back. 

The St Louis Eagles jersey is a relic from an era where little time and consideration were put into uniform design.  The striping is derivative, the colours are synonymous with much more iconic teams and the logo is a third rate illustration at best.  The St Louis Flyers jersey is the gaudy bastard child the New York Americans and Washington Capitals with no aesthetic ties to the current franchise what so ever.  Neither of those designs are worth resurrecting.

• Like 2

The other side of this coin is that the Blues and Blackhawks rivalry is about as rich as it gets. No need to have the Blues playing dress up as a different franchise. They have too much untapped history of their own to dive into that well. 

• Like 2

It's time to realize the third jersey Mike Keenan scrapped on sight. It's just another Chicago Winter Classic, it's an automatic win for the road team, have fun with it.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Yeah, and they've all looked underwhelming at best.  The worst of which, being the Dallas Texans fauxback which resulted in little more than a green Detroit template with a logo whose only interesting feature was the felt material it was made of.  Just because a design is old, doesn't mean it's worth bringing back. 

That feels like a bit of a blanket statement. Between all the outdoor games, we've seen fauxbacks/throwbacks to non-connected franchises from Seattle, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Dallas, Nashville, and Minnesota. Sure, they might not all be your cup of tea, but to say they've all been underwhelming or worse seems like a pretty big exaggeration.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

That feels like a bit of a blanket statement. Between all the outdoor games, we've seen fauxbacks/throwbacks to non-connected franchises from Seattle, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Dallas, Nashville, and Minnesota. Sure, they might not all be your cup of tea, but to say they've all been underwhelming or worse seems like a pretty big exaggeration.

it's a blanket statement for sure, but I stand by it.  With the exception of what Seattle did recently, underwhelming is a generous way to describe those uniforms you listed.

Vancouver and Dallas cheated us out of potentially great looking faux-backs based on their respective team's actual histories, Calgary had a truly horrible colour scheme, Minnesota looked goofy with the brown elbow patches, Winnipeg shoehorned a contemporary logo on a retro jersey and the rest simply looked boring.

• Huh? 1

15 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

It's time to realize the third jersey Mike Keenan scrapped on sight. It's just another Chicago Winter Classic, it's an automatic win for the road team, have fun with it.

That would be epic. 

I assume you're talking about this one. If so, I would buy one the second they are available. 

spacer.png

I've read some other things that happened around this era. Apparently there are drawings indicating that Blues management wanted the team to skate onto the ice out of a large trumpet, much like the Sharks skate out of the shark head. 

I have also always thought a  jersey designed around the 90s trumpet logo as the crest could be really great. 

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

That would be epic. 

I assume you're talking about this one. If so, I would buy one the second they are available. 

spacer.png

I've read some other things that happened around this era. Apparently there are drawings indicating that Blues management wanted the team to skate onto the ice out of a large trumpet, much like the Sharks skate out of the shark head. 

I have also always thought a  jersey designed around the 90s trumpet logo as the crest could be really great. 

spacer.png

This atrocity should never see the light of day. Ever.

As previously mentionned, the 80s look would be an automatic win

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

That would be epic. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think a jersey with this trumpet logo or the rejected third jersey would be a cool idea for the Stadium Series. It seems like that event is all about going crazy with uniforms. That jersey would fit into what the Stadium Series is all about and I have a feeling a lot of fans would love to see it on the ice. Aside from the Stadium Series, I think the trumpet logo on a third jersey would be a nice change. It could make for a really cool jersey.

• Like 3