2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

On 4/8/2024 at 2:32 PM, Krona said:

I submitted Oxen, Unique, region appropriate, a variety of ways to go thematically (pioneers, tough aggro, stoic, single or a team). Utah Oxen rolls off the tongue in a pleasant, sing-songy way. "the Ox" is a nice sub-nickname, too. And lets get a primarily brown colored hockey team!

UtOx???

20 hours ago, charger77 said:

Isn’t Utah the Bee Hive State… maybe there is something that can be done with that?

How about *checks state law requiring "Utah" to be in the name of any team utilizing state funding* Utah Stingwingers??? 

stingwingers.jpg

CjHZ2hYWsAAWYRn.jpg

🙃

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/8/2024 at 2:43 PM, LMU said:

Blizzards meets the quota of Zees/Zeds in a Utah team name so that checks.

Although, something to be said for the southwest and teams naming themselves after a lower-ranked version of their closest rival.  Already Kings? Throw in the Knights next door.  Already a team named for snow rolling down a hill?  Name the team after snow falling from the sky.

Interesting. I had never noticed that. 

2 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Yeti seems to be a popular one as well based on comments 

The NHL already has a team who's regionally specific team name actually has nothing to do with the region, why not make it another?

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I'd like to see a team use "Salt Lake City" instead of Utah. Not a lot of three-word city names out there, and I think it could prove important to differentiate a more gentile-based following from the very Mormon-based Jazz fanbase: Salt Lake City is now more than just the Mormons (at the expense of becoming Second Denver; the first one is mediocre enough as it is), whereas "Utah," well, less so. Basketball is part of Mormon culture and hockey isn't.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

There used to be a minor league hockey team in Utah called the Salt Lake Golden Eagles, could always go with that 🤷‍♂️

Yeeeaaahhh I think the Golden Knights might have a lil' issue with that...

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

On 4/8/2024 at 7:04 PM, charger77 said:

Isn’t Utah the Bee Hive State… maybe there is something that can be done with that?

Apologies to the State of Ohio, but I submitted Yellowjackets and Stingers as a couple names.  there already being a team named “Blue Jackets” currently in the league and a long-defunct WHA team that once used the “Stingers” moniker.

Some other names I’ve submitted:

—Owls

—Stags (another WHA name)

—Eagles*

—Copper Eagles (if there has to be an adjective to “Eagles” that isn’t “Golden”)

—Comets

—Cosmos**

—Browns (as in Brown Trout)*

—Yetis

—Vipers**

*Not  confident at all either of these would get past this point with how protective the NFL is of its trademarks, though the use of “Browns” referring to “Brown Trout” here has been stuck in my head for quite some time, regardless of the sport.

**I recall a couple concepts here with a “Utah Vipers” and a “Cleveland Cosmos”(one an NHL expansion to 40 team concept, the other a sports fan fiction league), and figured either of these names would fit, given that there are plenty of snake species throughout the state, as well as Utah being known for having dark skies (hence why “Comets” is in there too).

Just buy out the Grizzlies name from the ECHL team and call it a day.  Don't need to take the whole identity with them, just the name and build a whole new identity.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, Webhamster said:

Just buy out the Grizzlies name from the ECHL team and call it a day.  Don't need to take the whole identity with them, just the name and build a whole new identity.

The NBA's Memphis Grizzlies might pitch a fit about that...

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, M4One said:

Utah Coyotes.  Or is that name associated with failure too much?

What, Utah? 🙃

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

16 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Not sure an NBA team has much to say about an NHL team.

We already have the Kings in each league

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So it looks like Fanatics will be selling Canadian-made true authentic jerseys at retail again, instead of them only being scarcely available through people on eBay who know a guy. 425 American dollars, though. Woof.

• Hate 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

Los Angeles Kings/Kansas City; Kansas City-Omaha; Sacramento Kings

New York Rangers/Texas Rangers

New York Jets/Winnipeg Jets

Carolina Panthers/Florida Panthers

New York Giants/San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals/Arizona Cardinals

Kansas City Royals/Cincinnati Royals (defunct)

Edmonton Oilers/Houston Oilers (defunct)

There's enough precedent.

VmWIn6B.png