2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

59 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Neither of those are professional hockey teams, so this isn't an issue.

Then that would explain why they were able to include those into the list to begin with.

• Like 1

Voted: Black Dimonds, Swarm, Outlaws and Venom.

I don't think Hive is bad either. Caribou could be interesting. Don't really like Glaciers but it would lend itself to a nice color scheme based on light blue. Yeti needs to be Yetis.

6 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

It's very disappointing that despite all the snow related names in the contest, apparently no one in the organization has the cojones to push for the Utah Gnar. Or the plural, Utah Gnar Gnar. What a bunch of clowns!

Salt Lake Shredders would be pretty sweet.

jNTsTyQ.png

I like Black Diamonds, Caribou and Swarm the best, and voted for Mountaineers as the fourth. I always thought the Utah Mountains would be the best pivot if the Jazz were to ever change their name, so it’s close enough to that.

I can live with Yeti or Outlaws, but I feel like Yeti’s trying a little too hard to be cool. I also don’t know any Utahns, but I don’t believe Yeti is a huge part of local folklore like Kraken was in Seattle. 

Outlaws is too Southwestern to be a perfect name, but is deserty enough to work. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

I can live with Yeti or Outlaws, but I feel like Yeti’s trying a little too hard to be cool. I also don’t know any Utahns, but I don’t believe Yeti is a huge part of local folklore like Kraken was in Seattle. 

You have no idea the trauma the Yeti has caused our people
TNUhX4PDJbvfaxfudGUZPY.jpg

1 hour ago, MalibuSunrise said:

I'm assuming Outlaws is on the list because of Butch Cassidy. 

Yes, it's this. The Outlaw Trail runs through Utah

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I voted for Black Diamonds, Swarm, Caribou, and Mammoth.

Black Diamonds just lends itself into such great imagery between the simplistic trail emblem being incorporated into a crest, to a likely crossed ski and hockey stick over the shape of Utah. Could be a lot of fun.

Shame it’ll be the Utah Yeti 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Do they provide updated voting results as this is progressing? I could look, but I thought some of you might already know.

They don't.
This is the live local news poll that's running alongside the vote.
It probably hews pretty close to what the actual percentages are.
https://strawpoll.com/7MZ0AeEPmyo

• Like 3

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Based on that straw poll above, it looks like the egregiously bad names like Fury, Hive, Freeze, etc are faring poorly, so that’s a bit encouraging. Yeti, Outlaws, Mammoth, Blizzard, and Black Diamonds are the top five as of this post. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Voted for Black Diamonds, Caribou, Outlaws, and Swarm. 

I honestly am not a fan of pretty much all of these names. The four I voted for are, in my opinion, the least egregious. “Black Diamonds” would be a unique name and brand, but I think I like it more in theory than how “Utah Black Diamonds” rolls off the tongue. 

“Mammoth” and “Yeti” are ridiculously minor league. Why they aren’t plural, I don’t know. The only other name that I think is okay is “Mountaineers,” but even then as a general rule I think keeping names to two syllables of less just sounds better. 

I also wish the team would go with “Salt Lake” rather than “Utah.” I understand that Utah probably has a wider appeal for the target audience, but Salt Lake just sounds better imo. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Voted for Black Diamonds, Caribou, Outlaws, and Swarm. 

I honestly am not a fan of pretty much all of these names. The four I voted for are, in my opinion, the least egregious. “Black Diamonds” would be a unique name and brand, but I think I like it more in theory than how “Utah Black Diamonds” rolls off the tongue. 

“Mammoth” and “Yeti” are ridiculously minor league. Why they aren’t plural, I don’t know. The only other name that I think is okay is “Mountaineers,” but even then as a general rule I think keeping names to two syllables of less just sounds better. 

My concern over Yeti being plural is that folks seem to be confused that Yeti’s with an apostrophe is NOT how it works.  

27 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

My concern over Yeti being plural is that folks seem to be confused that Yeti’s with an apostrophe is NOT how it works.  

It's [not sic] always a concern in using apostrophe's [sic]

It's where I sit.