2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

1 minute ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’ve tried to find information on when and where the bracket is releasing, but haven’t found it anywhere. Could you please share where you found that info? 

There was a city council meeting or something about Ryan Smiths plans for downtown (arena renovation etc). And the rep from SEG said the bracket would release today for Utahns. Didn’t say when but I’d expect it at some point. 

• Like 1

I honestly don’t know what I’ll vote for Outlaws I like. Mammoths is growing on me as well as Yetis. And I’m not sure I entirely hate Fury haha. 

35 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Yetis is a perfectly fine nickname. Is it my first choice? No, but so many of y'all have your panties in a wad over it. 

Yeah, it’s not a name I’m clamoring for myself, but I do think it posseses a lot of branding potential if done right. If a name like “Kraken” can work with the help of excellent branding, then I think “Yetis” can as well. Plus, I really trust Doubleday & Cartwright to do an excellent job with whatever name they ultimately work with. They’re a very solid agency.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, it’s not a name I’m clamoring for myself, but I do think it posseses a lot of branding potential if done right. If a name like “Kraken” can work with the help of excellent branding, then I think “Yetis” can as well. Plus, I really trust Doubleday & Cartwright to do an excellent job with whatever name they ultimately work with. They’re a very solid agency.

Is that who is going to be doing the design? If so, that does aspire some confidence... even if the name doesn't pan out for a lot of people.

2 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Yetis is a perfectly fine nickname. Is it my first choice? No, but so many of y'all have your panties in a wad over it. 

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...  But I suppose it will all depend on how they do with the branding.

8 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Is that who is going to be doing the design? If so, that does aspire some confidence... even if the name doesn't pan out for a lot of people.

Yep that is who will be doing the branding. They also were involved with the survey too. 

I also don’t think Mammoths rolls off the tongue easy. Feels kinda like a mouthful but I think it could be a cool identity. 

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I really trust Doubleday & Cartwright to do an excellent job with whatever name they ultimately work with. They’re a very solid agency.

Have they done any work with the NHL before?  A quick look over their website would suggest no.

I'm a big fan of Mammoths, but unfortunately the trademark is just Mammoth which isn't nearly as good. Outlaws would also be fine but I don't really think it fits Utah. Of the options, Yetis would get my vote.

• Like 2

ExJworW.png

10 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Have they done any work with the NHL before?  A quick look over their website would suggest no.

I don't know about NHL, but I'm pretty sure they had a hand in the Bucks redesign, which turned out pretty solid.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PrimalCookie said:

I'm a big fan of Mammoths, but unfortunately the trademark is just Mammoth which isn't nearly as good. Outlaws would also be fine but I don't really think it fits Utah. Of the options, Yetis would get my vote.

Outlaws probably "fits" Utah better than the other options (except for Raptors but that's probably not one). However, more appropriate for southern Utah mainly 

I really like Mammoths as well, and I don't like the trademark isn't pluralized, but its still one of the best options of the potential names we've seen. 

"Ice" is way too generic. So is "Blizzard". They're the most quintessentially generic hockey team names you can imagine. They're a half step below "Wildcats" and "Bulldogs", except they're more hockey specific. These are the names of the teams the protagonists of a bad made-for-tv movie about hockey need to defeat to win the championship.

"Venom" is really bad. It reeks of that '90s vibe that is in-vogue right but will be incredibly dated in a few short years. If 'Venom' wasn't an invariant plural you would imagine they would use a 'Z' instead of an 'S'

"Outlaws" is also really generic.  It comes across as something I'd see as one of the names you can pick when you relocate your Madden team to Texas. It also doesn't feel very 'Utah' and "Utah Outlaws" has a weird cadence, its awkward to pronounce.

"Yetis" I'm not super fond of but I don't think its as terrible as many others say. It feels like they're trying to latch onto the popularity of naming the team after a mythical creature like Seattle did, but that identity is carried by the branding. It also has the opposite effect of  "Mammoth" where I think it should be "Yeti" without the 's'. 

"Fury": See "Venom"

"Hockey Club" or "HC". I really have a hard time imagining a team in North America would forego a nickname entirely just for "Hockey Club" when they can still use that as part of the branding anyway. The only place I could see trying that would be somewhere like Portland, and I don't think they could pull it off either. 

• Like 1

Fury, Venom, Mammoth, Blizzard, and Ice would all be in the running for worst North American major league franchise name of all time. I'm not even sure anything else would be that close. Just pure dog doo. (This is where I admit that I've probably just become desensitized to Wild.) 

Mammoths looks better on paper but saying it out loud is going to make some announcer sound like Daffy Duck. 

That leaves Yetis and Outlaws as the only acceptable choices as Hockey Club or "HC" is a joke that I refuse to even consider. Yetis probably lends itself to a more unique color scheme (Baby blue, purples) over Outlaws (Red, black, orange...) so I hope they go with that. 

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Fury, Venom, Mammoth, Blizzard, and Ice would all be in the running for worst North American major league franchise name of all time. I'm not even sure anything else would be that close. Just pure dog doo. (This is where I admit that I've probably just become desensitized to Wild.) 

Mammoths looks better on paper but saying it out loud is going to make some announcer sound like Daffy Duck. 

That leaves Yetis and Outlaws as the only acceptable choices as Hockey Club or "HC" is a joke that I refuse to even consider. Yetis probably lends itself to a more unique color scheme (Baby blue, purples) over Outlaws (Red, black, orange...) so I hope they go with that. 

Agreed fully. The fact that these are even mentioned are concerning lol.

• Like 1

sig.png

42 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Agreed fully. The fact that these are even mentioned are concerning lol.

Or they were put in there specifically to try and drive a specific name forward. It's the Hornberger System.

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

I don't know about NHL, but I'm pretty sure they had a hand in the Bucks redesign, which turned out pretty solid.

The Bucks knocked it out of the park.  If Utah's branding is half as successfully executed I will be happy.