LMU

Animals native to Utah that could work-

* Utah Rams

* Utah Bighorns

* Utah Cougars

* Utah Bobcats

* Utah Black Bears

* Utah Jackrabbits

That said, watch it be something like the Utah Swarm and the arena will be known as the Hive

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Salt Lake Eagles in tribute to the old CHL Salt Lake Golden Eagles. Dark green at home and yellow-gold on the road. Use a swooping golden eagle as the main crest.

How about this look?

In all seriousness, I created a Utah team for NHL 24 and named them the Eagles, using the state flag's colors. Dark royal, red and yellow looks OK, but a bit like the KC Scouts/Colorado Rockies.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:03 PM, VikWings said:

The NHL already has too many teams. Brining back the Coyotes and Thrashers or putting a team in Kansas City would be stupid.

Sucks to see the Yotes (and their gorgeous logo and uniforms go). I'm sure whatever Utah comes up with will be horrible especially if it's anything like what Smith did with the Jazz.

"Dear Mr. President,

There are too many hockey teams nowadays. Please eliminate three.

P.S. I am not a crackpot"

• LOL 2

4 hours ago, bowld said:

Animals native to Utah that could work-

* Utah Rams

* Utah Bighorns

* Utah Cougars

* Utah Bobcats

* Utah Black Bears

* Utah Jackrabbits

That said, watch it be something like the Utah Swarm and the arena will be known as the Hive

I have a feeling they're going collective noun. If so, Swarm works very well for the beehive state. I'd expect black/yellow colors then, which would suck. But maybe instead go non-traditional and go purple/gold. Would be too close to Jazz colors.

If they go with an animal:

Rams (no, even though they can, I don't want to see teams in multiple leagues/sports have the same name and doubt they want it, too)

Bighorns (it works, but I don't associate Bighorns with Utah as much as I do other states.

Cougars (has the older woman trope ruined this name now for teams?)

Bobcats (failed NBA team name, could work, but doubt they wouldn't want to try something new)

Black Bears/Bears (Bruins? Feels generic, too. Also, not as fierce. The old Utah Grizzlies names would be meaner/angrier/fiercer but we know that was already a minor league name)

Jackrabbits (Again, I know they might be there but I associate Jackrabbits with more western plains states moreso than Utah)

In no particular order, my preference (and my preferred colors/logo ideas):

Utah Mountaineers (blue and green, logo could be a bighorn)

Utah Archers (rust red, sand, and black; Wild themed anomalous logo)

Utah Rockers (rust red, sand, and black; Wild themed anomalous logo)

Utah Swarm (purple and gold, or black and gold; hornet/bee logo)

Utah Yellow Jackets (primary yellow, navy/black/gold secondary)

Utah Venom (black/red, or yellow/red/black)

Utah Stingers (black/red, or yellow/red/black)

Utah Dragons (like Archers/Rockers, rust red, sand, and black)

33 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I have a feeling they're going collective noun. If so, Swarm works very well for the beehive state. I'd expect black/yellow colors then, which would suck. But maybe instead go non-traditional and go purple/gold. Would be too close to Jazz colors.

If they go with an animal:

Rams (no, even though they can, I don't want to see teams in multiple leagues/sports have the same name and doubt they want it, too)

Bighorns (it works, but I don't associate Bighorns with Utah as much as I do other states.

Cougars (has the older woman trope ruined this name now for teams?)

Bobcats (failed NBA team name, could work, but doubt they wouldn't want to try something new)

Black Bears/Bears (Bruins? Feels generic, too. Also, not as fierce. The old Utah Grizzlies names would be meaner/angrier/fiercer but we know that was already a minor league name)

Jackrabbits (Again, I know they might be there but I associate Jackrabbits with more western plains states moreso than Utah)

In no particular order, my preference (and my preferred colors/logo ideas):

Utah Mountaineers (blue and green, logo could be a bighorn)

Utah Archers (rust red, sand, and black; Wild themed anomalous logo)

Utah Rockers (rust red, sand, and black; Wild themed anomalous logo)

Utah Swarm (purple and gold, or black and gold; hornet/bee logo)

Utah Yellow Jackets (primary yellow, navy/black/gold secondary)

Utah Venom (black/red, or yellow/red/black)

Utah Stingers (black/red, or yellow/red/black)

Utah Dragons (like Archers/Rockers, rust red, sand, and black)

They could definitely go a bit Wild West with the name.

• Cowboys

• Outlaws

• Wranglers

• Rattlers

• Herd

• Pioneers

• Railroaders

• Wagoners

• Blizzards (think ice lizards)

• Sundancers

Gosh, I love blindly throwing darts and hoping they stick.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

They could definitely go a bit Wild West with the name.

• Cowboys

• Outlaws

• Wranglers

• Rattlers

• Herd

• Pioneers

Railroaders

• Wagoners

• Blizzards (think ice lizards)

• Sundancers

Gosh, I love blindly throwing darts and hoping they stick.

• Cowboys ( never gonna happen for obvious reasons)

• Outlaws (I like it, but is that a name that's going to win over the mormon population?)

• Wranglers (I know this name from Arena Football. It's a good name. Feels a bit of a reach.)

• Rattlers (Same as Wranglers. It could work, but I doubt it'd be an option, though snake-theme might be possible)

• Herd (A low-key solid name, but I don't think it has the oomph to wow anyone, Ya Heard With Perd)

• Pioneers (This is a good one. Has a lot of options. But if Seattle and Vegas are any indications on direction of team names... it's not going to be a folksy name. Shame because it works well)

• Railroaders (Love this name. Golden Spikes, Golden Spikers, Spikers, etc all tied into the transcontinental railroad being finished. Railers also works; There's a high school in Kansas called the Ellis Railroaders and they regularly shorten it to just "Railers" as a nickname to a nickname)

• Wagoners (Goes with Pioneers. Similar theme and good name. I like it. But not edgy/modern at all so think it'll fail to deliver)

• Blizzards (think ice lizards)  (I liked Blizzard in general. Not sure if pluralization works. but it's not bad. I think there's more that can be done with the "Blizzard" name compared to Blizzards. If they go the Yeti/Abominable route, Blizzard would maybe make more sense the same way Avalanche went with the big foot logo for a general 'Avalanche' nickname)

• Sundancers (I like it. Feels more of a New Mexico "Zia Sun" motif than something for Utah. But props for originality. But you know within two months everyone will be calling them the Dancers. Some focus group somewhere will kibosh that one just for that)

I just really really really hope they don't go with some minor-league style pun/kid-friendly name that will be embarrassing just a few seasons in. Such as anything ending in Z or X. Nothing that's a cultural cliche like Raptors were with Toronto. And avoid the 'say nothing while trying to appeal to everyone' like the Wild and Blue Jackets did.

I did a concept years ago for the “Utah Rockies” using MS Paint of all things that’s still floating around on the interwebs.

Yes, it’s a name in use and the MLB (and maybe even the NHL) team(s) in Denver might take issue with it, but the name was floated for an ABA team (a merger between the Utah Stars and Spirits of St. Louis), why not use it here?

It’s supposed to be a mountain behind a red (orange) mesa and refers to the two primarily-identified types of landscape (mountains and red rocks) in the state. Number font was pulled from whatever was available on the computers I was using. Colors are Navy Blue, Orange, and Light Blue.

spacer.png

I’m kind of kicking myself for not submitting that or Dragons in the name submission link (which is now closed) just to have it in the submission pool.

Edited by DustDevil61
Added MS Paint concept

13 hours ago, nash61 said:

The sale was officially announced May 31, 2011, and the name was announced at the draft on June 24. Logos were unveiled July 22, and jerseys were Sept 6.

From the video game side of things, I remember it was late enough in the offseason that NHL 12 shipped with the Jets in just generic NHL home & away jerseys, with the actual jerseys being patched in later & the OG Jets' 80s jerseys included as throwbacks, just to give people before the patch came out, or who's consoles couldn't go online & thus couldn't get the patch, any kind of actual jersey option. I forget what kind of stand-ins the AHL's St. John's Ice Caps got, but whatever it was, offline players were stuck with it. 

Still, could've been worse - as I mentioned years ago in the "wrong jerseys in games that should know better" thread, the Colorado Avalanche's branding came so late in the process (the name was revealed in August '95 according to Wikipedia), after the Rocky Mountain Extreme fiasco delayed things, that EA decided to just keep them as the Quebec Nordiques in NHL 96 when it shipped in early-October. (Similarly, because the Seattle SuperSonics' relocation to OKC didn't officially happen until late-August 2008, 2K Sports kept them as the SuperSonics in the PS2 versions of NBA 2K9 & patched in the appropriate branding for the 360 & PS3 versions.)

I *really* hope they don't go with Yeti -- very cringe. And there's that Avalanche connection...

Salt Lake Golden Eagles would be excellent, except for the previously mentioned "golden" issue with Vegas, the "Utah" rather than "Salt Lake" decision, and the fact that their most recent (and best) colors were black, red, white, and gold. The NHL does not need another red and black team.

The new Utah flag is an option for inspiration, but it's in the red/blue/yellow range, which is just like Colorado and the Nuggets. And the Kansas City Scouts weren't a good look, IMO.

Going with a Beehive State approach requires either a state flag inspired color scheme, or the obvious black and yellow, which is also very much un-needed in the NHL and the Jazz are already trying to move on from that mistake.

A black/purple/copper identity would look good, i.e. the Jazz' early 2000's third jerseys, and the NHL has no purple at the moment. Purple shoulder yokes and copper forearms on a black sweater. Black breezers, helmets, and gloves. Copper calves, thin white stripe, thin purple stripe, then black knees for the socks.

"Promoting" the Grizzlies to the NHL would be the best option IMO. The colors would be unique to the NHL, the darker green and black are are a good connection to the team's most recent roots (similar to the light blue Atlanta-Winnipeg connection), and the name has been in the SLC area for almost 30 years -- keep the local tradition going.

As for the timing, it's bland, but if it's needed to avoid rushing the whole process and actually getting it *right,* a year of Utah Hockey Team wearing the brick non-kachina Yotes uniforms with just "Utah" on them is far better than a permanent, mistaken alternative (like Utah Yeti).

• Like 1

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

39 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Do the Golden Eagles have large talons?

I get this reference.  🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Icethetics' fantasy hockey league, the IceHL, had a Salt Lake City team, the Scorpions.

This entire identity would be incredible.

slc-sixzero.jpg?token=LMS92JCtxB%2BICK%2

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

49 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Icethetics' fantasy hockey league, the IceHL, had a Salt Lake City team, the Scorpions.

This entire identity would be incredible.

slc-sixzero.jpg?token=LMS92JCtxB%2BICK%2

Wow, that does look pretty cool. 

I can’t imagine Bodamer and co. have been sitting on their hands for the last few months.

If they can get a trademark in place, I believe they can unveil an identity by the draft

They could go with the "Utah Salt Barons" and accidentally get invited to join the WHL. That would actually work out, because the WHL and Utah both love having dudes named "Paxtyn" and "Kristansyn."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫