2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Everything Smith has put out publicly about wanting an NHL team has specifically referenced bringing a team to "Utah". I think he sees it as a team for the whole state, so it makes sense from a branding perspective to not just go with Salt Lake.

This, and there’s the fact that Southern Utah (especially St. George and Cedar City in the Southwest corner) is, for now, nestled into Golden Knights territory. I think he may understand that he runs the risk of alienating that part of the state and leaving it for the Golden Knights if he doesn’t make it a team for the whole state. 

Personally I think Salt Lake would likely roll off the tongue better with most possible names (“Salt Lake Stags” is one of my favorites that I’ve seen or heard so far), but I totally get what Smith would be trying to do if he went “Utah” instead. 

I haven’t commented on here much lately, but as a Utahn, I’m absolutely thrilled with the news of a team arriving. The last time I ever actively rooted for a particular team was as a kid for the Mighty Ducks some 20+ years ago, so having a team here to root for and follow is going to be a new and fun experience. I also can’t wait for a potential Winter Classic - I always thought I’d have to travel somewhere to experience that, I’d never thought that I just might get to go to one in my own backyard someday. I’m pumped for this!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'd love to see what this incredible, ahead-of-its-time WHL logo would look like if turned into a "U" for the Utah Stingers. Not saying it would be good,  but I love this old logo so much that I'm curious to see if it could be brought back to life in some form.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Besides coming up with a big league professional name instead of a singular Tier II name, I do hope the team uses "Salt Lake City" instead of the state identity. The team can be referenced to as SLC in short. Leave Utah for the Jazz and a future NFL team

The nickname is going to be "Utah" after the state legislature approved a funding bill for a new arena. One of the stipulations (same as a funding bill for a baseball stadium) is that tenants use "Utah" in their nickname.

Source

I do prefer Salt Lake over Utah. 

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

39 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'd love to see what this incredible, ahead-of-its-time WHL logo would look like if turned into a "U" for the Utah Stingers. Not saying it would be good,  but I love this old logo so much that I'm curious to see if it could be brought back to life in some form.

spacer.png

I don't mind the Stingers name, but the last thing the NHL needs is another black & yellow team

• Like 1

If they have to go with Utah in the nickname, I think Utah Talons (like someone mentioned a few pages back) would be great. They can have uniforms inspired by the former Salt Lake City Golden Eagles. 

• Like 3

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I don't mind the Stingers name, but the last thing the NHL needs is another black & yellow team

Agreed. The NHL needs another black and yellow team like it needs another red and black team.

• Like 1

I’ve been seeing “Yeti” get tossed around a bit more and more locally as a popular choice for the name. I’d be curious to see if the Avalanche would have any sort of opposition to that or not, seeing as they used to have the Yeti footprint logo and their first mascot was Howler the Yeti. One part of me thinks that’d get shut down, but another thinks if the Avs willingly dropped the Yeti connection that maybe they’d be fine with it? That’s not necessarily great to hope for “fine with it” if I’m Smith, though. 

As for my personal take on “Yeti”, it’s not a particular favorite of mine, but I can also see the potential for some strong branding with it. I recall not really liking “Kraken” at all until the branding won me all the way over, to the point where I can’t imagine Seattle being anything else. FWIW, I think “Yeti” could score the Kraken points far more than another floated option, “Swarm,” could. 

That being said, my five favorites so far would be (no particular order):

- Stags

- Saints

- Pronghorns

- Elks

- Talons

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

29 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’ve been seeing “Yeti” get tossed around a bit more and more locally as a popular choice for the name. I’d be curious to see if the Avalanche would have any sort of opposition to that or not, seeing as they used to have the Yeti footprint logo and their first mascot was Howler the Yeti. One part of me thinks that’d get shut down, but another thinks if the Avs willingly dropped the Yeti connection that maybe they’d be fine with it? That’s not necessarily great to hope for “fine with it” if I’m Smith, though. 

As for my personal take on “Yeti”, it’s not a particular favorite of mine, but I can also see the potential for some strong branding with it. I recall not really liking “Kraken” at all until the branding won me all the way over, to the point where I can’t imagine Seattle being anything else. FWIW, I think “Yeti” could score the Kraken points far more than another floated option, “Swarm,” could. 

- Stags

- Saints

- Pronghorns

- Elks

- Talons

Would Saints work in this day and age? 

sig.png

21 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Would Saints work in this day and age? 

Possibly not, and I totally get any arguments against it. I think if the branding centered on a more general interpretation of “Saints” - i.e: Wings, Halo, etc. - then it could work. I’m thinking similar to Angel City FC, the LA Angels, Minnesota Fighting Saints, St. Paul Saints, that sort of thing. I like the name solely for the potential of that kind of an identity. But they’d have to be careful with it, which in and of itself may be good reason to not go there.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Top 5 Utah NHL team names, in order:

1 - Utah Coyotes (not happening, unfortunately)

2- Utah Grizzlies (strong name, if a case could be made that it pre-dates the NBA franchise)

3- Utah Yeti (fun to say out loud, it's grown on me)

4- Utah Roadrunners (built-in rivalry if the Coyotes do indeed come back)

5- Utah Blizzard (inoffensive, meets the double-z prerequisite)

thecatch.jpg

7 minutes ago, SenatorJake said:

Top 5 Utah NHL team names, in order:

1 - Utah Coyotes (not happening, unfortunately)

2- Utah Grizzlies (strong name, if a case could be made that it pre-dates the NBA franchise)

3- Utah Yeti (fun to say out loud, it's grown on me)

4- Utah Roadrunners (built-in rivalry if the Coyotes do indeed come back)

5- Utah Blizzard (inoffensive, meets the double-z prerequisite)

As much as I'd love a bigfoot themed name (Sasquatch, Yeti, etc), it's not for the big leagues.  

sig.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

- Stags

Hmmm 🤔

Utah Stags. Salt Lake Stags. Salt Lake City Stags.

Not bad paired with any of the potential market names. Creating a logo would be the tricky part, as the Milwaukee Bucks have practically owned deer themed sports branding in the US for decades.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I still like just Utah Golden Eagles. Although then it may be too close to Golden Knights. 

I also like the name Utah Range but it’s too close to Rangers. 

Sting, Swarm, Stingers, Scorpions, Gulls or Storm would all be good choices I think. 

21 minutes ago, DJT said:

I still like just Utah Golden Eagles. Although then it may be too close to Golden Knights. 

I also like the name Utah Range but it’s too close to Rangers. 

Sting, Swarm, Stingers would all be good choices I think. 

No chance they go with Golden Eagles for the reason you mentioned. Maybe Utah Eagles but not Golden

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

- Stags

- Saints

- Pronghorns

Elks

- Talons

Wouldn't it just be Elk?

46 minutes ago, bowld said:

No chance they go with Golden Eagles for the reason you mentioned. Maybe Utah Eagles but not Golden

Why? I leep seeing this argument, it's not like they'd be naming the team the Golden Cavaliers, Golden Lancers or other synonyms for Knight

Utah Hoodoos.

Unique and regional, could lend itself to some interesting colors and branding. 
haven't seen anyone suggest it. Am I crazy? 

only downside is some immature people would call them Doodoos? But that was a drawback to Kraken (Krak-heads) and that turned out to be a non issue. 

• Love 1