2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

11 hours ago, bowld said:

I wouldn't mind them wearing colors like this. In fact, Utah Phoenix has a nice ring to it 😆-

spacer.png

Maybe a dark forest green instead of Navy?

Maybe a logo like this but light blue and purple, call them the icebirds 

They also won't use Red rocks as that's what the University of Utah gymnastics team goes by

I'm still liking the Utah Storm but that would probably open the floodgates to Stormin Mormons.

Utah Gulls I also kinda like since its the state bird. But another bird team.

Utah Yeti seems popular and i'm not sure about it. 

I'd expect more surveys to come out asking for input from fans. 

41 minutes ago, DJT said:

I'm still liking the Utah Storm but that would probably open the floodgates to Stormin Mormons.

Utah Gulls I also kinda like since its the state bird. But another bird team.

Utah Yeti seems popular and i'm not sure about it. 

I'd expect more surveys to come out asking for input from fans. 

I need Utah NHL to do the funniest thing ever now.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If the Memphis Grizzlies wanted to flex whatever IP muscle they might, wouldn't they have already sued the Utah Grizzlies, the Montana Grizzlies, and the Oakland Golden Grizzlies? 

IP law is centered around similarity and confusion caused between similar brands.  

Apple Federal Credit Union exists because nobody confuses it with Apple Inc. Not sure how many people will confuse Memphis Grizzlies basketball with Utah Grizzlies hockey especially if the colors and logos are completely different.

The NHL is a league that has three teams with wings in their logos and nobody complains. 

There's also the fact that a trademark has already been issued (and has been issued for years) to the ECHL Grizzlies for "Utah Grizzlies" for the purposes of "Entertainment services, namely professional hockey games and exhibitions."

In fact, when that "Utah Grizzlies" mark was applied for, the NBA did oppose it, as was their right to do.  If I'm reading the history correctly, the NBA opposed and there were settlement negotiations and then the opposition was dropped and the trademark application was approved.  Unless there was some settlement that is not noted in the trademark filing itself (I don't even know if that's possible, maybe Utah explicitly said "If you allow this, we promise to never sell to an NHL team" or something like that), the NBA Grizzlies are too late.  Their chance to say no was in 2008 and they allowed it.

Whether Smith wants to have a team that shares a name with an NBA team is a whole other discussion.  There are certainly branding-related issues with the name that are not trademark-related issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GFB said:

TIL that spike bucks are an actual thing...

animated-the-more-you-know-6hvyrp9kwpo6g

58 minutes ago, CJR said:

There's also the fact that a trademark has already been issued (and has been issued for years) to the ECHL Grizzlies for "Utah Grizzlies" for the purposes of "Entertainment services, namely professional hockey games and exhibitions."

In fact, when that "Utah Grizzlies" mark was applied for, the NBA did oppose it, as was their right to do.  If I'm reading the history correctly, the NBA opposed and there were settlement negotiations and then the opposition was dropped and the trademark application was approved.  Unless there was some settlement that is not noted in the trademark filing itself (I don't even know if that's possible, maybe Utah explicitly said "If you allow this, we promise to never sell to an NHL team" or something like that), the NBA Grizzlies are too late.  Their chance to say no was in 2008 and they allowed it.

Whether Smith wants to have a team that shares a name with an NBA team is a whole other discussion.  There are certainly branding-related issues with the name that are not trademark-related issues.

Thanks for clearing all that up. I'm not privy to the inner workings of IP law, so that answered some curiosities I had about the possibility of the Memphis Grizz filing suit over the nickname. I didn't know they already did, so there's that. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

49 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Man has this thread gotten name jacked.

Yeah it has.

I pop over here once in a while. I’ll see terrible nicknames, make sure the wild aren’t going full time green and gold, and head out!

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Man has this thread gotten name jacked.

I mean its a pretty big topic for the NHL. A team relocating to another state.

• Like 3

I’d love to see purple incorporated for Utah. Ties in with classic Jazz colors, underused in the NHL. Could put a unique spin on color combo.

Purple/Orange variation (similar to flyers minor league colors)

Purple/Red (TCU football alternates)

possibilities could be endless 

or Red Rocks inspired color palates 

1 hour ago, Kg54mvp said:

Yeah it has.

I pop over here once in a while. I’ll see terrible nicknames, make sure the wild aren’t going full time green and gold, and head out!

If you think the name suggestions here are terrible, what do you think the Utah NHL team should use as a name?

3 hours ago, Hambone792 said:

I’d love to see purple incorporated for Utah. Ties in with classic Jazz colors, underused in the NHL. Could put a unique spin on color combo.

Purple/Orange variation (similar to flyers minor league colors)

Purple/Red (TCU football alternates)

possibilities could be endless 

or Red Rocks inspired color palates 

01SG8190.JPG&height=1280&width=1920&type

Your 2022-23 USHL Champion Youngstown Phantoms have purple/orange combo (and usually predominately white or black uniforms) but this is their purple with the secondary logo. It's a pretty sharp look. Orange could be more prominent.

Connor_large.jpg

• Like 2

Someone posted these in Smith's survey tweet, I kind of like the logos, not sure on name(s)

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also changed the colors of the Phoenix posted earlier... Not as good but I like something along the lines of these 

spacer.png

I know we're never going back to my favorite era of logos (Nordiques, Flyers, Whalers, Devils, North Stars, and others that pass the book-cover test) but something along the line as the Kraken (with a better name) would be more than welcome.

Most of these concepts are over done and better suited for the concepts forum or a AHL, USHL, or inndor leagut

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

01SG8190.JPG&height=1280&width=1920&type

Your 2022-23 USHL Champion Youngstown Phantoms have purple/orange combo (and usually predominately white or black uniforms) but this is their purple with the secondary logo. It's a pretty sharp look. Orange could be more prominent.

The Orlando Solar Bears also use purple with orange, as did the Philadelphia Phantoms. Done right, I agree that it looks super sharp.

4WXZVLD5U5GNBI44CLCZ5XZYVQ.jpg?w=1024

phantom.jpg

• Like 10
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

I know we're never going back to my favorite era of logos (Nordiques, Flyers, Whalers, Devils, North Stars, and others that pass the book-cover test) but something along the line as the Kraken (with a better name) would be more than welcome.

Most of these concepts are over done and better suited for the concepts forum or a AHL, USHL, or inndor leagut

They're also both clearly AI, which makes sense as they just look like every esports logo on behance but rendered sloppily when looked at for more than 3 seconds.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!