2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

15 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

spacer.png

Chicago is definitely going to veto anything involving Hawks. Before Kansas City went with Scouts they had considered Mohawks as the name, but the Blackhawks put a stop to that.

I would argue that we have more than enough classic looking teams.  With Arizona having one of the most distinct designs in league history (talking about their Kachina look) I would like to see something similarly unique.  Unique but not overtly cartoony.  Seattle nailed this balance with their logo...  Not so much with their striping.

• Like 2

No idea if it's related to Smith or the NHL, but the following were recently registered with the USPTO for the purpose of ice hockey exhibitions:
  • Utah Venom
  • Utah Blizzard
  • Utah Fury
  • Utah Hockey Club
  • Utah HC
  • Meh 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:
No idea if it's related to Smith or the NHL, but the following were recently registered with the USPTO for the purpose of ice hockey exhibitions:
  • Utah Venom
  • Utah Blizzard
  • Utah Fury
  • Utah Hockey Club
  • Utah HC

I don’t like any of those at all, but I’m inclined to believe these probably aren’t related to the team. Anything is possible, but Blizzard never seemed like a legitimate option when they’d be the Avalanche’s neighbor. I can’t imagine the Avs or the league signing off on that.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Those names are terrible. Hoping for the best, but it's Smith, so my expectations are rock bottom.

Venom: Utah doesn't have a particularly large presence of poisonous animals, I suppose the imagery could draw on spiders, scorpions, or rattlesnakes though (assuming Gila monsters are out).

Blizzard: Please God no.

The others: I don't even know what you do with these. The Hockey Club options feel particularly tragic.

• Like 1

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Venom with a Snake or Scorpion themed identity and a purple-based color scheme could work well.

Blizzard is just a bit too similar to Avalanche for me as @FinsUp1214 said.

In general, I don't know if I've heard a nickname that I've totally fallen in love with and I think that a lot of that is due to the fact that it's hard to pair "Utah" with a nickname that compliments it well. Alliteration is basically impossible and some of the more organic options like Yellowjackets infringe too much on existing team names. 

spacer.png

13 hours ago, SenatorJake said:

Ugh... again with this "ackshually, we should name the team HC" pretentious nonsense.

WHY DO THEY DO THIS? WHO HURT YOU?!?!

I wonder if that could just be a placeholder in case they can't finalize a brand in time for next season. Considering how badly the last Jazz rebrand went, I'd assume Smith wants to make sure he gets this right.

1 hour ago, Froob said:

Stay Coyotes and do a Utah theme re color of the current unis with some more Utah style landscape theme.

It's been said multiple times that Coyotes isn't an option. Preserving the brand for Arizona is one of the ways they got them to agree to sell the team without suing. But maybe in 20 years if Phoenix still doesn't have a team they can pull a Carolina and do some Yotes throwback nights.

With the whole potential "reactivating the franchise talk" is it possible that the name, logos, etc... will be held for a new potential Arizona franchise and SLC will have a completely new identity?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

6 minutes ago, charger77 said:

With the whole potential "reactivating the franchise talk" is it possible that the name, logos, etc... will be held for a new potential Arizona franchise and SLC will have a completely new identity?

Yeah, it's a Cleveland Browns-type scenario where the Coyotes' brand will stay in Phoenix and the team will be revived if an arena can be approved (or built?) in five years. The Utah team will have a brand new identity. 

If the NHL returns to Phoenix, hopefully we get a return of the Kachina design but seems logical that it'd be recolored. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, MDGP said:

They're also both clearly AI, which makes sense as they just look like every esports logo on behance but rendered sloppily when looked at for more than 3 seconds.

Yeah but of all the owners in the Big Four, who's among the most likely to galaxy-brain the first AI logo, with totally annoying press materials to announce all of it?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 4/16/2024 at 8:07 PM, Kg54mvp said:

Utah United Utahans Hockey Club United

Of Anaheim

• LOL 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Yeah but of all the owners in the Big Four, who's among the most likely to galaxy-brain the first AI logo, with totally annoying press materials to announce all of it?

In Smith’s defense, his taste in logos and typography seems to be much more minimal from what I can gather. The Jazz logo and word marks, as well as a lot of thier CounterPoint streetwear merch series, are more minimal in design. Where Smith goes galaxy brain is in color choices, and if I had any worries whatsoever about the brand, it’d be in the potential for a bad color scheme. In all honesty, I don’t think a potential logo for this team is going to be excessively detailed and certainly not AI-esque. I think - key word, think - Smith will keep the logo(s) more simple than not.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png