2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, it’d be like a new NBA team being the Huskies, Blue Devils, or Tar Heels.

College teams don't carry the same importance in hockey as they do in basketball. If you did a poll of NHL fans asking them if they know what the University of Denver teams are called I think most of them would draw a blank.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

College teams don't carry the same importance in hockey as they do in basketball. If you did a poll of NHL fans asking them if they know what the University of Denver teams are called I think most of them would draw a blank.

I actually had no idea and I'm a college hockey fan.

• Like 2

sig.png

11 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yeah, I think the premise that they're the [insert power 5 school nickname] of college hockey is the issue. Denver's really more like a Villanova or Gonzaga just with more national titles. They're phenomenal at one sport but not at all present in the top levels of D1 at anything else, while UConn, Duke, and UNC are all power 5 schools. I'm not sure I'd trust the average fan to know what Nova or Zags' mascot despite both being hyper generic.

Honestly, it really all comes down to the fact that football is the truly important sport for fan knowledge. The top level FBS schools are the ones everyone knows and everyone else is a crapshoot.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Utah Rattlers has kinda grown on me. 

Let's just call them the Diamondbacks, use purple, turquoise/light blue and copper. Take all the things Arizona from them in one shot 😏

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

21 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

Let's just call them the Diamondbacks, use purple, turquoise/light blue and copper. Take all the things Arizona from them in one shot 😏

That would turn into a cross-stateline war with massive slingshots. Utahns would launch their extra wives and copies of the Book of Mormon. Arizonians would fire cacti and cans of Four Loko. It would be assured mutual destruction. 

sig.png

32 Thoughts put out an interview with Smith today. It included some interesting comments about the potential brand:

• He was asked how much overlap he expects the NHL brand to have with the Jazz. He doesn’t necessarily want a Pittsburgh situation with identical colours, but mentions that he’d like there to be a bit of symmetry between the two 
  • He talks about the popularity of purple, mountain imagery, and mentions blue skies, so it sounds like they’re leaning to a cooler colour scheme
  • He says the nickname bracket will be 6 or 8 options. The names Blizzard, Yetis, Venom, Outlaws, Black Diamonds, and Golden Eagles are all mentioned, with Smith saying it’s more than a 50% chance it ends up being one of those names. He has a favourite, but wants the fans to decide
  • Like 5

I’m surprised how much “Black Diamonds” has grown on me in the last couple of days. That with an identity based around a retro ski resort/cabin aesthetic could be pretty cool if done right. 

I’m not saying it’s suddenly my favorite name - I’m still very partial to “Stags” - but it is a name I’ve warmed up to significantly. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m surprised how much “Black Diamonds” has grown on me in the last couple of days. That with an identity based around a retro ski resort/cabin aesthetic could be pretty cool if done right. 

I’m not saying it’s suddenly my favorite name - I’m still very partial to “Stags” - but it is a name I’ve warmed up to significantly. 

Someone will call it racist and it won't get approved for use.

• Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 2

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

6 hours ago, MDGP said:

Yeah, I think the premise that they're the [insert power 5 school nickname] of college hockey is the issue. Denver's really more like a Villanova or Gonzaga just with more national titles. They're phenomenal at one sport but not at all present in the top levels of D1 at anything else

Hey now, they're also great at lacrosse!

But otherwise yes, rest of your point sums it up

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yeah, that’s most likely the case.

Still, Pioneers would be a boring nickname for a Rocky Mountain hockey team. Of the names picked early, I’d say Yetis and Outlaws are the ones I’d be most inclined to like. The former even has a logo ready!

spacer.png

I’m so happy the Avs ditched the yeti stuff, even if it meant adopting the Colorado flag crap.

• Dislike 3

6 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Hey now, they're also great at lacrosse!

But otherwise yes, rest of your point sums it up

Haha, I had a feeling someone was going to point out a smaller D1 sport they were good at

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I’m hoping the bracket includes a little mock logo of sorts but I think that’s wishful thinking. 

Funny fact my friend reminded me of. We would draw logos and nba jerseys when we were little and re-did every team + added more for states without teams. The Utah team was Utah Blizzard. But now I don’t like it for an nhl team haha. 

Yetis and Outlaws are my favorites so far. Black Diamonds could be interesting but I feel it may be harder to pull off. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

There’s always this mascot for the Yetis:

spacer.png

Utah Yet-tays*

(I still don't know how he went from a mummy to a ninja, but never an actual Yeti. Well besides the "Welp, WCW" reason)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Black Diamonds is compelling. 

One more "Soakers" joke and I start trying to give adults shaken baby syndrome.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫