2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

Utah is a weird/hard location to really nail down an identity. It invokes 'cold, snow covered mountain' thoughts, but in reality, the vast majority of it is rugged desert terrain. So, even though a wild-west/desert animal nickname would be realistic, it doesn't actually fit well,  because no one thinks that way.

• Like 2

sig.png

24 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Utah is a weird/hard location to really nail down an identity. It invokes 'cold, snow covered mountain' thoughts, but in reality, the vast majority of it is rugged desert terrain. So, even though a wild-west/desert animal nickname would be realistic, it doesn't actually fit well,  because no one thinks that way.

Which underscores how good an idea it is to think beyond the box sometimes regarding hyper-localized identities. I mean shoot, Vegas just did it. There's nothing about Vegas that infers anything about knights (unless some sarcastic peazy somewhere wants to bring up the Excalibur), and that doesn't even address the irony of the Golden Knights playing in the Silver State. Yes, we all know how why the team has the Knights nickname, but the point is that sometimes fun branding is fun whether [hyper-]localized or not.

All I'm saying is if people have to go to the extreme ends of the galaxy to find some hyper-local source material for a team brand, perhaps maybe it's time to reevaluate the approach altogether. A little bit of whimsy never hurt anyone. (See Exhibit A: Kraken, Seattle for a significant example.) So, if Smitty n' em want to look beyond the state for a mascot that "works"...or find some nickname that may be, oh I don't know, "out of this world", so be it. I personally am coming around on the idea of "Yeti" just for the phonetic alliteration alone. (Wait--is "Yeti" plural in the same vein as "moose" or "deer"??? Somehow, "Yetis" doesn’t really flow right to me.)  

But whatevs...we'll see how this goes.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Which underscores how good an idea it is to think beyond the box sometimes regarding hyper-localized identities. I mean shoot, Vegas just did it. There's nothing about Vegas that infers anything about knights (unless some sarcastic peazy somewhere wants to bring up the Excalibur), and that doesn't even address the irony of the Golden Knights playing in the Silver State. Yes, we all know how why the team has the Knights nickname, but the point is that sometimes fun branding is fun whether [hyper-]localized or not.

All I'm saying is if people have to go to the extreme ends of the galaxy to find some hyper-local source material for a team brand, perhaps maybe it's time to reevaluate the approach altogether. A little bit of whimsy never hurt anyone. (See Exhibit A: Kraken, Seattle for a significant example.) So, if Smitty n' em want to look beyond the state for a mascot that "works"...or find some nickname that may be, oh I don't know, "out of this world", so be it. I personally am coming around on the idea of "Yeti" just for the phonetic alliteration alone. (Wait--is "Yeti" plural in the same vein as "moose" or "deer"??? Somehow, "Yetis" doesn’t really flow right to me.)  

But whatevs...we'll see how this goes.

Agreed fully. That's kind of why I believe that Jazz actually works well. It's a nice alliteration and if you think beyond the 'UTAH ISN'T KNOWN FOR JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!" sentiment, I feel it almost describes more of the flowing, upbeat movement of the game of basketball.  

I feel Stingers could work (although it would sound waaaaay better with Salt Lake/City in front of it). Rattlers (there are 6 species of venomous rattlesnakes in Utah), Sidewinders (also a venomous snake native to Utah) I feel could hold some weight.  

• Like 2

sig.png

Outlaws isn't bad but it does feel sort of out of place for such a goody two-shoes community like Salt Lake City lol

16 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Agreed fully. That's kind of why I believe that Jazz actually works well. It's a nice alliteration and if you think beyond the 'UTAH ISN'T KNOWN FOR JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!" sentiment, I feel it almost describes more of the flowing, upbeat movement of the game of basketball.  

I feel Stingers could work (although it would sound waaaaay better with Salt Lake/City in front of it). Rattlers (there are 6 species of venomous rattlesnakes in Utah), Sidewinders (also a venomous snake native to Utah) I feel could hold some weight.  

Rattlers and Sidewinders aren't bad suggestions, but I can't see them picking something like that. I could also imagine something more like Swarm or Hive if they tap into the Beehive State imagery at all.

That said, I increasingly feel like Smith may lean toward Fury. It's simple, abstract enough for multiple mascot ideas that Doubleday and Cartwright can play with, and keeps a sort of short synergy with the Jazz name which I think is something that will be important to him.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, henburg said:

Outlaws isn't bad but it does feel sort of out of place for such a goody two-shoes community like Salt Lake City lol

Rattlers and Sidewinders aren't bad suggestions, but I can't see them picking something like that.

I increasingly feel like Smith may lean toward Fury. It's simple, abstract enough for multiple mascot ideas, and keeps a sort of simplistic synergy with the Jazz which I think is something that will be important to him.

Agreed. Fury is soooo bush league. 

sig.png

With today's trademarks, we have a pretty clear vision of the bracket

Yetis
Outlaws
Fury
Venom
HC
Blizzard
Ice
Mammoth

Talking to people it seems like this is a horse race between Yetis, Outlaws, and "Why isn't Raptors an option?"
Odd that of all the fossil choices available in Utah, they would go with Mammoth. I mean, we have a lot of them, but they aren't the iconic Woolly Mammoth.

I tend to think we have enough "yee-haw" imagery and history to pull from to make Outlaws really stand out. But also I don't care that we're all a bunch of squares.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I've always pushed for a retro ski vibe for one of the mountain-region MLS teams but it would work for hockey too. Maybe even better, as a winter sport. Especially at this current moment where REI-chic is still pretty on-trend. Maybe he got a focus group to tell him that the practice-jersey Jazz was simply too galaxy-brained to work.

I definitely think there could be something there, taking from something like these. It would fit the old-time hockey feel.

vintage-ski-posters-from-oosc.jpg?v=1622

I've always thought the (New York) Jets should have branded around something like this but with vintage travel posters instead.

IbjBaeE.png

15 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Yetis
Outlaws
Fury
Venom
HC
Blizzard
Ice
Mammoth

Talking to people it seems like this is a horse race between Yetis, Outlaws, and "Why isn't Raptors an option?"
Odd that of all the fossil choices available in Utah, they would go with Mammoth. I mean, we have a lot of them, but they aren't the iconic Woolly Mammoth.

I tend to think we have enough "yee-haw" imagery and history to pull from to make Outlaws really stand out. But also I don't care that we're all a bunch of squares.

I haven’t heard Ice or Mammoth until now. I think Black Diamonds will replace one of those and possibly Raptors replacing the other (if Toronto doesn’t throw a fit). 

22 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Yetis
Outlaws
Fury
Venom
HC
Blizzard
Ice
Mammoth

I don't think "Hockey Club" will actually be one of the options on the bracket. That seems like more of a plan B in case they can't come up with something in time for next season.

• Like 3

Maybe instead of Black Diamonds they could be the Utah Double Blacks?

Double black diamond runs are the hardest/most dangerous 

spacer.png

EDIT- Nevermind, never even crossed my mind that some may think its racist. Hell there is a CFL team called the Red Blacks..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I definitely think there could be something there, taking from something like these. It would fit the old-time hockey feel.

I've always thought the (New York) Jets should have branded around something like this but with vintage travel posters instead.

Love the aesthetic of those posters, but I was even thinking something less travel poster (agree on the Jets though) and more outdoors-gear emblem.

Relatedly, Utah's ski resorts are particularly well-represented among resorts with strong mid-to-late-century modernist designs. Best aesthetic for that industry, IMO.

AltaBirdTile.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMyF1pCkVpPPV6aMb5ZkH unnamed-min.png 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, bowld said:

Much like what I might say at the top one of Snowbird's peak bowls, I'm not sure we want to go down that one.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

33 minutes ago, bowld said:

Double black diamond runs are the hardest/most dangerous 

spacer.png

EDIT- Nevermind, never even crossed my mind that some may think its racist. Hell there is a CFL team called the Red Blacks..

What did you think 'Black Diamonds' was?

It's where I sit.

12 hours ago, Bmac said:

Black Diamonds would be a welcome choice.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Referencing an other sport entirely lol....why not the Utah Slam Dunkers, Utah 3rd basemen or Utah Pickleballers

The Utah Black Diamonds are a Major League Pickleball team.