2024 Lacrosse

4_tattoos

First half of the final was a little chippy. Wouldn't be surprised if the Cannons and Waterdogs (still hate that name) have a full blown brawl this summer.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Looks like Panther City is an epic disaster for the NLL from a marketing and attendance standpoint.  I live out here and there has been zero marketing for PCLC, although that's because I live in Dallas County and not Forth Worth.  They seem to be the only major sports team not to reach to every part of the DFW Metroplex.  The World Series Champions Texas Rangers are based in Arlington, but has a baseball academy in Dallas and players and team officials visit schools in Dallas County often.  Players and officials from the Stars and Mavericks are often out visiting schools in Tarrant County (where Fort Worth and Arlington are).  The Cowboys are a brand by itself.  I would guess that the Dallas Wings do a fair amount of marketing in Dallas County and FC Dallas does the same in Tarrant County (their developmental team is located in Arlington).  But there's nothing from Panther City which has resulted in poor attendance.  They are a competitive team, but does anyone care that they are a competitive team if nobody knows they exist?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Looks like Panther City is an epic disaster for the NLL from a marketing and attendance standpoint.  I live out here and there has been zero marketing for PCLC, although that's because I live in Dallas County and not Forth Worth.  They seem to be the only major sports team not to reach to every part of the DFW Metroplex

Sounds like ownership/management is the problem if they are not marketing themselves to the entire metro area. A potential relocation wouldn't change a thing. They likely do the same thing in a different market. Does NLL have procedures in place to forcibly remove an ownership group in a situation like this?

15 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Sounds like ownership/management is the problem if they are not marketing themselves to the entire metro area. A potential relocation wouldn't change a thing. They likely do the same thing in a different market. Does NLL have procedures in place to forcibly remove an ownership group in a situation like this?

So what I have read is that there's a three year ownership agreement and that Panther City Ownership (who also own the Dallas Wings) may choose not to extend the agreement.  

On 2/18/2024 at 9:19 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

Maryland-Syracuse had extremely lofty expectations heading into it given the Orange have been off the grid the past two seasons, but boy did that ever live up to the hype. Leave it to Bill Tierney to still tick it to Cuse in retirement with the goal mouth rule, though

Helluva game.

I watched from early in the fourth quarter through OT in a bar, so I couldn't follow the discussion on the disallowed goal in real time.  Once I got to read and watch video later, it looked like the correct call under that rule.  There was nothing on any video that I saw to suggest the shooter was pushed or forced into the goal mouth by a Maryland player.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So what I have read is that there's a three year ownership agreement and that Panther City Ownership (who also own the Dallas Wings) may choose not to extend the agreement.  

I'm curious as to where you found this?

I'm not saying you are incorrect. I just haven't seen that and am wondering where you got that from. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

23 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

I'm curious as to where you found this?

I'm not saying you are incorrect. I just haven't seen that and am wondering where you got that from. 

It was apparently someone who knows someone who works in the Panther City Front Office who posted it on a lacrosse message board.  I don't really know how valid it is.   It was here:

Assessment of where ownership screwed up | IL Indoor Forum

Either way, something needs to be done with Panther City.  They have awful attendance, so I don't know how they are going to fix it.  Usually DFW area teams (if they are winning) have good crowds.  PCLC is competitive and have a shot at going to the playoffs but nobody would know.  But if they go to the playoffs and win it all, will anyone in the DFW area care?  If they win it all, they won't have a championship parade, they will have a championship celebration where all 200 of their fans will be in attendance in a gathering in Fort Worth (probably at Dickie's Arena) and then management will wonder why they didn't get a championship parade like the other DFW sports teams.  If they win it all, it's also unlikely that the other DFW sports teams (except the Dallas Wings since they have the same owners) will send congratulatory tweets as they did when the Texas Rangers won the World Series.   

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

It was apparently someone who knows someone who works in the Panther City Front Office who posted it on a lacrosse message board.  I don't really know how valid it is.   

Either way, something needs to be done with Panther City.  They have awful attendance, so I don't know how they are going to fix it.  Usually DFW area teams (if they are winning) have good crowds.  PCLC is competitive and have a shot at going to the playoffs but nobody would know.  But if they go to the playoffs and win it all, will anyone in the DFW area care?  If they win it all, they won't have a championship parade, they will have a championship celebration where all 200 of their fans will be in attendance in a gathering in Fort Worth (probably at Dickie's Arena) and then management will wonder why they didn't get a championship parade like the other DFW sports teams.  If they win it all, it's also unlikely that the other DFW sports teams (except the Dallas Wings since they have the same owners) will send congratulatory tweets as they did when the Texas Rangers won the World Series.   

Fair enough.

From my point of view: It seems really silly of the NLL to agree to a 3 year ownership agreement. I was just curious of the details of that agreement because it seems pretty low risk for the PCLC owners and I'm wondering if that's why they haven't bothered to spend money on advertising, ect.

To your point something needs to be done for sure. Any games I've watched on TV, it's seemed like there's no one there. I looked at some attendance numbers and was shocked that the average is 3000. I thought it would be less. 

Their total attendance this season is less than 10 of the other NLL team's average. That's really bad news. The Bandits total attendance this year is more than 10 times of PCLC. Insane! 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

24 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

Fair enough.

From my point of view: It seems really silly of the NLL to agree to a 3 year ownership agreement. I was just curious of the details of that agreement because it seems pretty low risk for the PCLC owners and I'm wondering if that's why they haven't bothered to spend money on advertising, ect.

To your point something needs to be done for sure. Any games I've watched on TV, it's seemed like there's no one there. I looked at some attendance numbers and was shocked that the average is 3000. I thought it would be less. 

Their total attendance this season is less than 10 of the other NLL team's average. That's really bad news. The Bandits total attendance this year is more than 10 times of PCLC. Insane! 

It doesn't help that they are called Panther City FC.  If the NLL is insistent on keeping the DFW market, then relocate the team within the Metroplex and rename them to Dallas.  And then once the move is made, do something to increase the marketing.  Perhaps maybe use athletes from other local teams as "brand ambassadors" for the team, such as using Luka Doncic (Mavericks), Micah Parsons (Cowboys), Corey Seager (Rangers) and Tyler Seguin (Stars) and make a big deal about it as the other local teams have done.  Doing that means that they exist in the eyes of the other local teams so when they get to a championship, they get support from the other local sports teams rooting them on and when they do win the NLL Championship, they will all congratulate the team with tweets offering their congrats, which could also include videos from players from those other teams congratulating the Dallas Panthers on winning the NLL Championship.  There's potential for an NLL team to work in DFW.  

No doubt in my mind that an NLL team can work in DFW.
This ownership has messed up big time in many ways

I too think a refresh with a proper city name, proper advertising and, a good team could make this a success. 

Well PCLC may or may not move but the Riptide are going to Ottawa

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So they are going to be owned by the Senators?

That's my understanding, yeah.

9m4etomjqtjc1.png?ex=65e875c0&is=65d600c 

1 hour ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

Getting to that arena is a pain in the ass, but maybe that'd be fun to go to once or twice. I'm already familiar with the Riptide now.

Having the best player in the game currently in Teat should help too. 

Hopefully they can add a piece or two and start off with a good team. 

**Edit: just noticed you posted that logo in the other lacrosse thread**

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can tell PLL free agency has begun today.

The Redwoods have lost a few key players. Sergio Perkovic and Jules Heninburg are going to Chaos. Garrett Epple is going to the Cannons.

Meanwhile, Colin Heacock is going to the Whipsnakes.