Airline Football Uniform Concepts - The New Spirit of Africa

edjb93

THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL

The "wai" has been one of the recognizable symbols in airports around the world, and I can consider Thai's livery as one of the most beautiful-looking liveries among the world's airlines. On that note, the distinct striping on Thai's livery is the main focus of my home and road uniforms for the airline, and I applied it a la Seattle Seahawks' soon-to-be former uniforms (rumors suggest that the Seahawks will have new uniforms starting in the 2024 season). The white jersey gains a differently colored yoke so as to maintain the striping, similar to the actual livery.

Initially, I went with 3 different designs: the home uniform is based from the current livery, the road uniform from the 1975-2005 livery, and the alternate from the pre-1975 livery. However, it would be best to stick with the same theme (but not necessarily the same design) for the home and road uniforms. So for the throwback, I ultimately decided to go for the pre-1975 one, since the 1975-2005 livery was the original bearer of the wai logo, with the current livery being an evolution from the previous one.

PDBkLfv.png

nzO0gra.png

BcbeTOA.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Qatar and Thai

AIR INDIA

I'm slowly getting used to Air India's new overall design as of now, but back then, I thought it was a huge departure from what the airline used to look like. But the one thought that's common between those is, the complete overhaul of Air India's identity looked extravagant. Given how the airline is slowly transforming itself both inside and out after the Tata Group takeover, I think it wants to place itself among the best, and I wish greater things to come for the airline.

With that being said, the home and road uniforms are based from the airline's new look, focusing on gold and the chakra pattern, which is sublimated on the sleeves and the pants' side panels. The helmet features the new tail logo, where the only application of aubergine (purple) is used (after all, we need some sort of a Vistara tribute). In case you're wondering about the golden gradient on the helmet face mask, that's because it should imply that it is metallic chrome gold.

The throwback uniform I chose for Air India is the "Flying Palace" livery. The overall striping on the jersey and the pants are taken from the window frame design that was carried over to the post-merger livery. Just like what's found on the aircraft, one side features the brand name in English, and on the other side is its corresponding Hindi translation.

5gDKjGJ.png

ZSQNHxT.png

Yqp7k92.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Global Airline, Indian Heart

GARUDA INDONESIA

I love Garuda's blue-and-teal look, from its first iteration up to the "nature's wing" era, with the latter being a brand evolution of the former. And so, I made it the overall theme of my home and road uniform concepts for "The Airline of Indonesia". While the jerseys and the pants have the nature's wing pattern, this is not that obvious compared to the helmet.

I went back to red for my retro alternate. Specifically, I went with the airlines' final livery featuring red and orange cheatlines which extend all the way to the aircraft's tail.

4skj40V.png

d7Gtfnx.png

9SQS12S.png

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - The Two East Indies

JAPAN AIRLINES

JAL's current livery is both clean and underwhelming. Like, the livery could've had a grey underbelly such as the airline's previous liveries, but it settled with something simple. With that I mind, I went on to search for the airline's flight attendant uniforms and, while most variations are simple, at least all of them have red embellishments. I applied that idea on my home and road concepts for JAL, while maintaining the uncomplicated look and feel from the livery. The white jersey is designated as the home uniform, while the black can be either the road or clash uniform. Why black? That's the color of the aforementioned flight attendant uniforms.

For my throwback choice, the 1989-2002 livery is the one that instantly reminds me of JAL. Since the "tsurumaru" is already used on the primary helmet, I went with the JAL logo from that era, and just like the actual application on the plane where the grey striping extends to the nose of the aircraft, I extended the grey striping all the way to the back of the helmet. And instead of placing it on the sleeves, the same striping is treated as a shoulder yoke.

npnnOAw.png

NZ60wTc.png

WF7LAY6.png

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Fly into Tomorrow with Japan Airlines

AIR FRANCE

The home and road uniforms for Air France are centered around one thing: the airline's iconic tail stripes on its Eurowhite livery. I'm unable to find the actual font for the airline's logo, so I went with the Gill Sans MT font family for the numbers and the NOB. While the stripes are the front-and-center in these uniforms, I made sure that the "hippocampe ailé" (winged seahorse logo) is also prominent.

It looks like Air France has only one livery design prior to the unveiling of the tail stripes we know now, so that was the basis of my throwback alternate for the French flag carrier. I went with blue jersey and white pants, since the white jersey-grey pants combo is already redundant.

And yes, "Airfrans" is indeed the callsign for the airline, you can look that up online.

9En3YnV.png

fluLgkb.png

yyqyLHo.png

• Like 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - France Is In The Air

CHINA SOUTHERN AIRLINES

For the first China-based airline in this series, I went with its iconic cheatlines which have been there since the beginning, and designated the white uniform as the home uniform, with the dark blue uniform being worn on the road.

Since China Southern's livery has been the same since 1988, there won't be a throwback uniform. However, the airline sports a different livery for its Boeing 787s, so I went with that design, where wings adorn both the jersey and the pants.

vGEdoS5.png

tD22QJQ.png

DgAh9md.png

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Fly Towards Your Dreams

ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS

Ever since its brand refresh in the 80's that's still carried to today, ANA has one of the most straightforward brandings among the world's airlines. Its double blue-adorned livery stands the test of time, in contrast to the numerous changes of Japan Airlines.

With that, the home and road uniforms speak high volumes about ANA's iconic look. I decided to make the sleeves colored differently compared with the rest of the jersey, inspired by the tail logo. This is also the reason why I went with the ANA script and a tapered light blue stripe on the blue helmet. On the front of the jersey, right above the number, is the old full name script found on the airline's original version of its livery. And on the back of the pants, there's one of the Nihongo translations of the airline name.

Before 1982, ANA had the aerial screw logo, and with it came the "Mohican" livery. Even if the output I made looks similar to my Korean Air concept, the grey pants made this retro alternate uniform unique.

rHhvdYF.png

cF7XEDe.png

7B8ef4h.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - ANA: Inspiration of Japan

CHINA AIRLINES

Ever since it adopted the plum blossom as its main identity, the flag carrier of Taiwan has set itself apart from the usual blue-and-red looks of most airlines. The livery that came with it is distinguishable enough, it's already an art piece by itself.

As for the uniforms, both the jerseys and the pants capitalized on the striping found at the front of the fuselage, near the nose. Meanwhile, the helmet features the plum blossom, as well as the white-to-lavender gradient background, just like how it appears on the tail of its aircraft. White is my choice for the airline's home jersey.

The throwback uniform harkens back when the airline heavily relied on the flag color theme. Though the blue-white-red striping looked similar to those of Philippine Airlines and American Airlines, among others, the way it appeared on the tail made it unique from the rest of the pack. Looking at other pictures of the older livery, it seems that the vintage CAL logo is not visible anywhere on the paint scheme, so I decided to make it obvious on the uniform, as a reminder that China Airlines used to have a logo like that.

5wbUxlK.png

bR1d5j5.png

pvC4Iiy.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - From Taiwan Since 1959

EVA AIR

EVA Air unveiled its current livery in 2015, in which I thought the belly color was black, but upon a closer look, it's actually dark green. I don't know if it's me or not, but the curvature on the belly reminds me of United Airlines, a fellow Star Alliance member. Comparisons aside, I made that curvature the overall theme on my home and road uniform concepts for this Taiwanese carrier.

First off, why did I choose dark green as the primary color for these two uniforms? Well, that's the color of the airline's flight attendant uniforms. However, in spite of all this, there's still a huge chunk of the regular green color to maintain balance, which reminds me of the Tampa Bay Vipers uniforms.

While the home and road uniforms evoke the modern design, the throwback uniform expresses EVA Air's humble beginnings. Good thing that the airline's inaugural livery has an additional stripe so that it won't be just another Eurowhite paint scheme. This time, though, I went with the regular green for the jersey color.

One more tidbit that I'll add is that I used the full globe logo instead of the one used in the airline logo where the globe is trimmed off at the top-left portion to fit it within the tail.

TQ8fI8E.png

5e2p8YH.png

gx17Vfv.png

• Like 3

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - EVA Air: Sharing the World, Flying Together

QANTAS

The addition of silver to Qantas' current livery is indeed a nice touch, thus making the airline look sleeker. With that, I applied the same principle onto the home and road uniform concepts. Few tidbits that I want to highlight are the shiny silver outlines on the front and back numbers, and the metallic finish of the helmet facemasks.

For the alternate, I turned to the airline's regional arm QantasLink, which unveiled a very special livery for its very first Airbus A220. Known as "Minyma Kutjara Tjukurpa", that green-heavy livery is the latest addition to the numerous Indigenous Australian art liveries throughout Qantas' history. A portion of the artwork can be found on the shoulders and the sleeves of the jersey.

aoMprSd.png

5D69ME3.png

y3zjMCb.png

Edited by edjb93
Updated front-of-jersey patches
  • Like 3

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Spirit of Australia
7 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

All this makes me think of is how underused kangaroos are as sports mascots (outside of the obvious Ozzie teams)

Akron (zips officially but reference kangaroos in their logos) is the only American team off the top of my head

15 minutes ago, udubfan19 said:

Akron (zips officially but reference kangaroos in their logos) is the only American team off the top of my head

Correction, there are two prominent teams, Akron and UMKC, although TruColor.net also lists two more colleges/universities.

VIETNAM AIRLINES

In my opinion, Vietnam Airlines upgraded big time ever since adopting the lotus as its logo. From its initial look in the early 2000's up to its current iteration, VN's lotus livery looks great—although I prefer the latter since the former looked darker for my taste. Truth be told, this is one of the first airlines that I looked upon as a possibility to have a football uniform set based on the livery.

The curved design on the belly is the focal point on the primary uniforms, being placed on the sleeve cuffs and the hems of the pants. Just like the real thing, the lotus logo on the helmet is enlarged and slanted.

Before the lotus logo was unveiled, Vietnam Airlines looked really vintage, regardless of the overall livery. While there are two that instantly come to mind, there is one obscure livery that caught my eye. I don't know if it resembles a bird's beak, but that particular livery's cheatlines are so unique. Thus, I added that on the sleeves, while the rest of the uniform is pretty basic.

TFJaetc.png

qTZP9b2.png

5Ro7gzV.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Vietnam Airlines: Reach Further