Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

Ooh, quite a flurry of votes. Right now it looks like the Rose City has a healthy lead, but with 30 hours of voting left, it may not be too late for another city to make a surge. 

7   Portland

2   San Jose, Austin, Salt Lake City

1   Sacramento, San Antonio

Also, if you are so inclined, I am open to hear name suggestions for any city you vote for.  That might help me come up with some new ideas.  The hardest part of this little adventure is developing 4 identities for each club in the time it takes you all to vote (2 days).  I had some pre-loaded, but not all and not every city, so suggestions are certainly welcome. 

It's a mouthful, but Portland Pathfinders has an alliterative appeal to hearken back to the Lewis & Clark, Sacagawea and the exploration of Oregon Country up to locating the Pacific Ocean.  Other related names would be:  Pioneers, Explorers, Wayfarers.

• Like 3

With a 9-3 lead over San Jose, I am calling this one.  

Congratulations to Portland, Oregon, the 5th franchise in the AAFL.  Portland will be joining San Diego and Dallas in the Western Division.  But what name will Portland take?  I have 4 options, all very different from each other.  Will it be a close race again to pick an identity or wiill one run away with it. 

Portland Chinook

This is a repeat from my CFL project, because I love the colors and the main logo is solid.  I think I improved it by exploring the world of Pacific NW native art and creating a helmet stripe that captures that style of design.  I really like it and hope you do to.   The Chinook Salmon is, of course, a readily identifiable symbol of the PNW and a fierce, fast, and dynamic symbol for this team.  The colors are a bit of an homage to the Seattle Seahawks of the early 2000's  (Hasselbeck era) but with salmon pink replacing neon green as the color pop in the look.spacer.png

Portland Buzz

A bit of a mix of influences here.  It was mentioned that Portland is a coffee town, so "Buzz" could refer to that, but it is also a logging reference, as well as a statement about the region's excitement in getting pro football back in town.   The main image focuses on the logging industry, so essential to the state.  The team name is paired with the image of whirring buzzsaws, all on a forest green background.  You may also note that the helmet stripe is actually based on the teeth of a 2-man crosscut saw, another reference to Oregon's history of lumberjacks (cue the Monty Python song).  The color scheme here is one of my favorites, very Tulane, with deep forest green and sky blue. 

spacer.png

Portland Pumas

Got to have at least one big cat in the league, right?  I went with Pumas over Cougars for 2 reasons, alliteration of the "P" and to avoid conflict with Washington State.  A pretty typical front on snarling cat face, but it felt a bit stagnant on the helmet, so I added the four slashes behind it.  First tried it in red, but it was almost too much with bloody scratches, so a nice deep green for a city that already has a green & gold team in the Timbers.  Since they will share a stadium, this could be a good color combo to go with.   I also went with a bit of a unique color scheme, combining the quasi-metallic (at least glossy) buff gold with a dark brown (think Western Michigan), and added forest green again, because, well... it's Oregon. spacer.png

Portland Pathfinders

I was thinking Pioneers until the recent flurry of name suggestions included Pathfinders, which I like a lot.  It ties in well with the Trailblazers, and since they will share a scarlet, black, and silver color scheme (with just a bit of sandstone or leather in the shield) I thought it was a great fit.  The Pathfinder is based on the Pioneers logo from the old Scranton-Wilkes Barre arenaball team, but I wanted to emphasize the raccoon tail on the cap more, so I embellished that.  Again it did not look right on the helmet, so I took the arrowhead crest from the National Park Service, and added it in a  dark leather or sandstone gold/brown color with black outline.  I like the combination, and it recognizes the connection between exploration and preservation.  

spacer.png

OK, we will start voting on Portland's identity.  I will keep the poll open at least until noon tomorrow, maybe longer if it is a tight race.   Let me know, will it be wildlife, logging, or historical exploration? 

• Like 1