Let's check in on the early vote in this challenge of NFL cities:

NY/NJ                  3

DC                         4

ATL                       0

Miami                  2

Boston                2

Nashville           0

NOLA                  2

An early but very slim lead for the DMV area, followed by the "real" Tri-State area, then a 3-way tie for 3rd with NOLA, Miami, and Boston.  Cannot say I am surprised by Atlanta's lack of votes, since fan buy in has always been the issue with pro teams there.  Nashville was also always a longshot. 

So, will the nation's capital get themselves a team, or will one of the other contenders surge ahead.   I can tell you that I have designs already complete for DC and Boston, mostly there for NY/NJ and NOLA, and a few solid ideas for Miami as well.  Trying to avoid navy blue, since we have 3 clubs that at least have it as a 2ndary color already. 

Voting open until Munday at 5pm.  We will see who gets to join the AAFL from the Eastern mega-markets. 

Dont mean to be like this but I count 4 votes for NO

4 hours ago, verbi said:

Dont mean to be like this but I count 4 votes for NO

Nope, you are right, New Orleans is right there with DC at 4.  (DC now has 5). 

I made a correction in the original post.  So, still a very tight race. 

• Like 1

New Orleans takes the lead.  Just a few hours left for any down to the wire votes. 

As a teaser, I do have some designs and identities ready for many of the cities named.  Here are some hints:

NY/NJ:  A team name from the old Continental Football League and one used in NY from arena football.

DC: Two military themed names, a third identity I used in a prior concept thread, and a new one based on a popular option for the rebranded NFL team.

NOLA:  1 Mardi Gras themed, 1 Pirate themed, 1 local food themed, and 1 swamp animal themed. 

Let's see where this goes.  If NOLA hangs on, then it is likely that round 3 for the East will require a team from the NE region.  If a NE team wins, then round 3 may well be a team from the South as the requirement. 

A lot left to decide for our Inaugural 8, and then we move on to expansion bids. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WideRight said:

NY/NJ:  A team name from the old Continental Football League and one used in NY from arena football.

Knights? Dragons? Certainly not CityHawks!

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

I hope when you see them you will not be disappointed.  Did you have a name/ID you were hoping to see?  

Warthogs? 

Diplomats?

Wonks?

Something related to cherry blossoms?

17 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I hope when you see them you will not be disappointed.  Did you have a name/ID you were hoping to see?  

Warthogs? 

Diplomats?

Wonks?

Something related to cherry blossoms?

If the military theme is a must, then Battleducks. A play on the DUKW semiaquatic vehicle used by the military.

I guess another name could be the Diamonds. Depending on who you ask, DC is a “diamond” shape.

Another close vote, and a pretty big upset, as the smallest market among the Eatsern contenders gets the win.  Looks like the AAFL is headed to the Big Easy.   Maybe some USFL cancellation fallout here?  Anyway, New Orleans provides a lot of options for a team identity, but I chose 4 that I think work for the city and the region.  Let's see which one you all feel is the best option for the Crescent City. 

NEW ORLEANS KREWE

Nothing says N'awlins quite like Mardi Gras, so an identity that focuses on the pageantry and excess of Fat Tuesday seems very appropriate.  With team colors of purple, green, and gold (yellow), we try to capture the full spirit of the festival.  The name "Krewe" refers to the social groups that organize floats, parades, and parties.  The crown is a reference to the King of Carnival.  Striping turns to brightly colored beads, another classic Mardi Gras symbol.  The gold helmets with purple facemasks also bring into the mix another Louisiana legend, the LSU Tigers. 

spacer.png

NEW ORLEANS GATORS

Sure, there is a potential clash with the U. of Florida, an LSU rival, but there is also no denying that Louisiana has its share of gators and that the ultimate land/sea alpha predator is a fixture in bayou culture.  This gator,  however, depicted in orange and green, is less likely to take a chomp out of your leg than to send a ball deep on a fly pattern.  Ready to add aerial attack to his dominance on land and sea, the gator here is ready to suit up for the AAFL.  

spacer.png

NEW ORLEANS PLUNDER

Pirates and buried treasure, the Jolly Roger, the call of the sea, the swagger and the savvy of these swashbucklers is alive and well in the wild side of New Orleans.  And what could be more rewarding than a pile of dubloons and a legendary pirate to guard over them.  The Plunder add a bit of ghosts and voo doo to the pirate legends of the Gulf Coast.  The team will predominantly wear black and silver, but with a healthy amount of gold thrown in as well.  The logo shows a Jolly Roger skull and crossbones, sporting a purloined commodore's hat and lording over a pile of ill-gotten gains, his plunder. 

spacer.png

NEW ORLEANS CRAWDADS

Ooh, you gonna love dese mudbugs, ah gah-ron-tee!!!  Another classic symbol of the Gulf Coast and of Cajun culture, the Crayfish, Crawdad, Mud Bug is about as New Orleans as you can get, especially when his crustacean body happens to form the familiar shape of the Fluer-de-lis.  This burgundy, red, and black critter lives in the teal waters of the gulf and its swampy interior, and now the Crawdad finds himself adornging the side of a football helmet.  Maybe not the most intimidating animals in the world, it is still a powerful reminder of the region and its unique culture.

spacer.png

Voting on the identity of New Orleans's AAFL club will start now and continue until 5pm MT on Wednesday, at which time we will reveal the winner and set up our next vote for the Western Conference, a Wild Card round that will put both NFL and non-NFL cities back on the ballot as we pick the 3rd of 4 founding franchises in the Western Division. 

But for now, we have to decide between parties, pirates, predators, and ... well... prawns. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1