Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

With voting showing a definite pattern, and with the leading city having g a 3-1 lead over the second-place vote getter, I am going to call this race.  The winner is in and it is the city of St. Louis.  Not a surprise as this former NFL city (twice) is both a large metro area, has both a solid open-air option as well as the larger dome, and has been very welcoming of the XFL.  So now we consider 4 potential branding options for the Gateway City. 

ST. LOUIS ARCHERS

A minimalist but bold forest green & athletic gold design, the Archers logo depicts a bowman releasing an arrow.  The play on words here is pretty obvious, with St. Louis’s most famous landmark being the Gateway Arch, but Archers is also a name that evokes speed and calm under pressure.  The simple silhouette logo allows the design to be easily transferable to a wide range of media and several secondary logos should be possible, including the flying arrows on the helmet and the arrow-pierced A in the wordmark.

spacer.png

(I consider this a bit of an homage to the Orlando Apollos, though I simplified the idea of the large archer logo quite a bit.)

ST. LOUIS KINGS

St. Louis is, of course, named after King Louis IX of France, so it seems only fitting that a team in the city founded by French explorers would be called the Kings.  We go with a pretty traditional depiction of a young, vibrant, and somewhat serious king with a regal crown, depicted in purple, red, black, and gold.  I went with a bit of a unique helmet stripe, designed to evoke a jewel-encrusted adornment, repeating elements of the king's crown. 

spacer.png

(Those who are aware of the fantasy football league I have been a part of for decades, may recognize some similarities to the Louisville Kings franchise, though the logo is different, the color scheme is the same.)

ST. LOUIS AVIATORS

The city of St. Louis has long had a connection with the world of aviation, with no greater moment than the “Spirit of St. Louis” flights of Charles Lindbergh.  The logo of the Aviators pays tribute to that iconic plane and the brave man who flew it across the Atlantic.  Using a bright sky blue and a gleaming metallic silver, along with black trim, the Aviator’s logo and helmet depict the plane in flight, blurring across the sky.  The helmet also includes another St. Louis icon, the Gateway Arch as a tie-in point for the two planes on either side.

spacer.png

(Fans of pro basketball, or logo design, will recognize the main design of Lindbergh’s plane from the short-lived Spirits of St. Louis ABA club of the 1970’s.  Fans of “The Spring League”, precursor to the returned USFL, will recognize the color scheme of their “Aviators” team.)

ST. LOUIS RAMPAGE

Perhaps the most “generalized” logo so far, the Rampage identity of a charging rhino makes up for a lack of local connection with a strong symbolism of power, physicality, and aggressive play.  The charging rhino, like a halfback hitting the line or a DE breaking down the pocket, is a symbol of the kind of hard-hitting action fans should expect from their AAFL team in St. Louis.  The color scheme of fiery orange, navy blue, and rhino grey blend together for a distinct yet classic look. 

spacer.png

(This logo is a revisiting of an earlier design I did for a St. Louis Rampage look, keeping the rhino motif from the Grand Rapids Rampage of arena football, but with a new color scheme and depiction of the angry behemoth.)

Four great choices,  which will prevail and become the look of St. Louis’s AAFL franchise?  That is up to you.  Voting will be open for the next 2-3 days (we will see when it becomes clear that there is an obvious frontrunner), and then we will debut the uniforms and move on to our next city selection process.

• Like 1

I like the aviators team name the best but not a huge fan of that specific logo, but id choose aviators or Rampage with rampage getting the slight edge from a logo perspective, although all are good choice. all look really cool. 

Aviators

But real quick could I see a crown design on the Helmet of the Kings?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Yeah, I don't really get the Rampage/rhino connection to St. Louis. Archers is the most commonly used, yet still appropriately welcomed, but also used by St. Louis Community College. Pilots would probably be a better option than Aviators, but could also be used in reference to river pilots, which would probably play better into St. Louis.