Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

Welcome to the AAFL the San Diego Destroyers.

By a nearly 2-1 vote over 2nd place (Surf), the Destroyers were chosen as the identity of San Diego's AAFL club.  The club pays homage to the city's rich naval history and will wear uniforms in navy blue, gunship grey, and sunrise yellow. 

spacer.png

In a surprise move, San Diego opted to go with gunship grey as their jersey color, though the sleeves of both home and away jerseys are navy blue.  They will wear navy pants with the grey home jerseys and grey pants with the white away jerseys.  The sleeves features stylized chevron patterns, as do the pants.  The number font uses a shadow style designed to mimic the numbers that adorn the side of naval craft. 

So, we have one franchise in place.  Time to start our quest for a second.  We turn to the East now to find the most suitable non-NFL city for a AAFL franchise.  Here is the list of 8 nominated cities for the initial non-NFL city slot in the Eastern Division.  Again, these are listed in order of Metro Area size, with comments on the population, stadium availability, positives, negatives, and my notes.  Select your favorite, and all others will go back in the pool for our 2nd round of non-NFL cities coming later.

ST. LOUIS, MO

Metro:  21st – 2.8 million

Stadium:  CityPark MLS Stadium (22,500)

Positives:  Brand new stadium in non-NFL city, Strong anti-NFL sentiment, Strong support for XFL, Dome available if demand is higher than the 22,500 capacity of the outdoor field.

Negatives:  May need to move some early season games to the Dome just for weather, MLB Cardinals are very popular

My Notes: Another city jilted by the NFL (twice), St. Louis is the largest market and has two stadium options. They may quickly find that CityPark is too small, and the dome is there, though getting a bit old.

ORLANDO, FL

Metro: 22nd – 2.76 million

Stadium: Exploria Park MLS Stadium (25,500)

Positives: Newer stadium, nice size, great climate, neither NFL or MLB, strong football state, larger stadium is available if demand is high.

Negatives: Can be hot in mid-summer, has had decent, not great attendance in past spring leagues.

My Notes:  A good-sized market with a solid stadium option and not too many other sports (NBA, MLS). Mixed results with AAF and XFL clubs.

COLUMBUS, OH
Metro: 32nd – 2.16 million

Stadium: Lower.com Field MLS Stadium (20,011)

Positives: Strong football culture, no MLB or NFL, only NHL competition.  Newer stadium.

Negatives: Stadium is on the smaller side, and Ohio Stadium is too vast for a good 2nd option.  Winter weather in early season.

My Notes:  The stadium is smallish, the weather a possible concern.  Could a regional approach work, with games moved to Canton or Akron if demand is higher?  Or would that gut local support?

TIDEWATER REGION, VA

Metro: 37th – 1.78 million

Stadium: SB Ballard Stadium (21,944) or Dick Price Stadium (30,000)

Positives: Two possible venues with SB Ballard preferred due to renovations,  untapped market with no major league sports, strong local support for football

Negatives: Lower corporate and individual wealth in region

My Notes:  As untapped markets go, this is the classic one.  Would likely need/want a regional identity as the cities in the region are not well known outside the region, diminishing TV viewership nationwide. 

RALEIGH-DURHAM-CHAPEL HILL, NC

Metro: 41st – 1.48 million

Stadium: Wallace Wade Stadium (40,044)

Positives: Good weather, strong economy, good corporate presence, three viable stadiums (two are larger), decent and growing football culture, no MLB

Negatives: Less well-known area than Charlotte, for example.  Would mean Charlotte is out of NFL-city pool.

My Notes: A good market with a spotty history (WLAF) but possibly a clean slate.  Would choose Duke’s stadium as the best from a size standpoint, but could relocate to UNC or NC State if demand was high.

RICHMOND, VA

Metro: 45th – 1.34 million

Stadium: U. of Richmond Stadium (22,000)

Positives: Untapped market, no major league sports, mid-to-high income

Negatives: Close to DC if the league wants a DC team, not known as “football country”, stadium is smallish and not as modern or with as many amenities as many others.

My Notes:  Richmond feels like a longshot, particularly if DC is among the NFL cities being considered.  It does not have much football tradition and the stadium is not exactly state of the art.

BIRMINGHAM, AL

Metro: 47th – 1.18 million

Stadium: Protective Stadium (45,000)

Positives: Outstanding new facility, “football country”, decent to good attendance for USFL in 2022-23

Negatives: Have been burnt many times by failed leagues, lower indiv. wealth than many markets

My Notes:  If the league can gauge that Birmingham is not burnt out from all the past teams (WFL, USFL, XFL, AAF, USFL2.0, etc.) then this could be a pretty fervent fan base. 

HARTFORD, CT

Metro: 50th – 1.16 million

Stadium: Rentschler Field (40,642)

Positives: Solid and bigger stadium, no MLB or NFL, high corporate & indiv. wealth

Negatives: spring weather can be iffy, not a huge football region, Boston & NY are close enough to draw fans away with MLB and other sports.

My Notes:  Not exactly a football hotbed, but Hartford is close enough to other mid-sized cities (Bridgeport, Providence) that it could draw a regional fanbase.  Stadium is strong draw, weather a possible issue.

There you have it, 8 cities with solid stadiums that could be good homes to an AAFL franchise.  Sorry for those hoping to see places like Memphis, OKC, Louisville, or Milwaukee, but they just don’t have available facilities that meet the 20k-50k sweet spot.  Some don’t really have one at all (OKC, Milwaukee) while others have stadiums that are a bit too big for a league just starting out, maybe when it gets to year 3-4 and has more of a base. 

Once again, 2 days of voting, then the winning city will be revealed with its 4 potential identities. I am trying to focus on local culture, fauna, and history with the identities, but there may be a wild one thrown in (there are no Bengal tigers in Cincinnati or Barracudas in Birmingham, as two examples).  But, in most cases the brand should match the city. But, first things first, let’s pick a franchise destination first.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Eyeroll 2