Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

With a pretty clear consensus and only a few dissenting votes, I think it is safe to say we have a winner and our first AAFL founding franchise.  And so...

The AAFL is proud to announce that San Diego, California has been granted the first franchise in the new league.  The San Diego franchise will play its home games at Snapdragon Park, current home of San Diego State University football.  But, what will this new team be called?  That is up to you.  There are four identities which the fine folks at AAFL Properties and their design partners, Nike and Riddell, have originated, but the final say will be yours.  Voting will be open through Thursday at 5pm MT (7pm ET) right here on these boards.

So, with no ado at all, here are the four choices for the San Diego brand. 

1.  San Diego Surf

Recognizing San Diego’s fame as a surfer’s paradise and paying tribute to the power of the Pacific Ocean, the Surf identity focuses on the sea, the current, and the sun that define San Diegan culture.  A crashing wave, with white foam and a yellow sunset sky are the key features of the Surf identity.   The helmet features an oversized decal that creates a wave that crashes over the entire side of the helmet.  The team colors are reminiscent of a former pro football franchise in the area, with bright yellow, navy blue, and a powdery, sky blue.

spacer.png

Not a new concept for me, but an identity I have kicked around in many, many forms over the years.  You may recognize elements of the wave from my USFL Breakers redesign, but the idea of this logo and color combo goes back at least to the mid 1990’s.

2.    San Diego Sharks

The Apex predator of the seas and shorelines of California, the shark is a symbol of power, speed, and ferocity, all aspects of a quality football team.  The San Diego Sharks will sport the Image of this ultimate predator, fresh after a successful hunt.  The logo in deep purple, silvery grey, and blood red, shows the shark in all its aggressive splendor, surrounded by an offset red oval.  The color combination is unique in professional sports.  The helmets will be white with a purple facemask and a complex stripe pattern.

spacer.png

This design borrows a lot from LIU’s new identity (great logo, horrible colors for Long Island), while incorporating elements from several other shark logos, even one from the old NFL2k8 video game and the blood streak, well, that’s just a bit of Buffalo Bills thrown in for fun.

3.    San Diego Destroyers

What would San Diego be without the presence of the U.S. Navy? The city’s naval history is celebrated with this design, which depicts a naval destroyer cutting across the water with a rising sun just behind the speeding ship.  With an emphasis on power, speed, and discipline, the naval theme will be found throughout the team’s look, including chevrons incorporated into the team stripes and a number system similar to that found on naval vessels.  The helmet is navy blue with a single gunmetal grey stripe which transforms into yellow and white chevrons at the rear base. 

spacer.png

This design is heavily influenced by the San Diego Fleet of the AAF, but I opted to go with a ¾ profile of the Destroyer rather than the front shot.  Again several Destroyer logos were referenced as part of the process of designing this ship, with the sun a late addition, but one which seems to fit San Diego nicely.

4.   San Diego Suns

What is more iconic to southern California than the glorious heat of the sun?  The San Diego sun logo is not just a tribute to the lifegiving power of our brilliant star, but also a tribute to the Hispanic culture which has been a part of the region since before California was a state.  The Aztec sun symbol is the focal point of our depiction of the sun.  The one alteration made is to adjust the central lines to form an SD monogram.  The colors are also unique, a metallic gold to represent the fiery heat of the sun and a deep magenta, recalling one of Southern California’s first alternative football clubs, the WFL’s Southern California Sun from the 1970’s.   The Helmet will be a bright metallic gold (akin to Notre Dame) with the magenta sun symbol on each side.

spacer.png

I wanted to both pay homage to the SoCal Sun from the WFL and have at least one option that fits in with San Diego State and with their Aztec symbolism.  Magenta and gold is certainly a unique color combination, though the darker hue does make it look a bit like BC or other burgundy teams.  I expect to use more Aztec patterns in the uniform as well as small amounts of black as a tertiary color.

Voting is now open and will remain so through 5pm on Thursday.  Losing designs may be repurposed or recolored for other future franchise options.  We will see how creative I am over the course of this process.  For now, 1 team, 1 identity.    Once this vote is complete we will move on to select our first club for the Eastern Division.

Hope you all are enjoying this series.  I am having a ball trying to create these identities and looking forward to see which 8 (then 10, then 12) cities and identities make the final cut.