Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

Alright, football fans.  Here is the look for the Rockers. 

The music theme is consistent throughout.  Evident in the two secondary logos based on guitar picks, a reprisal of the 6-string and power chord striping from the helmet to the jersey sleeves, and a new feature.  If you look closely at the pant stripe, you will see it is set up just like a guitar neck, with several frets and the identifying dots to mark different placements.  The jersey features a black yoke with silver or white outlines and a "rockin'" font for the numbers that is reminiscent of heavy metal band names.  The Rockers mix and match their black pants with both jerseys, while the silver pants tend to only be seen with the home red & black jerseys.  

spacer.png

Two more items for you.  First, the 2031 12-team AAFL map, showing the three divisions, East, Central, and West.  We have the diversity of helmet colors we were hoping for with 2 helmets featuring Navy (Houston only on the upper half of the helmet) and then 1 helmet apiece for orange, red, green, purple, black, white, teal, gold, grey, and whatever color we are calling Portland's blue.  That is pretty well mixed up.  

spacer.png

Finally, for our 12-team league, here are the jerseys, arranged in rows based on each division.  Again, pretty good color diversity, with two maroon jerseys, two very different orange jerseys, two red jerseys, and a range of other colors including our first fully black jersey.  We still do not have a Navy jersey, despite all the panic about Navy early on.  Houston, Portland and San Diego have Navy features (sleeves or yoke) but still no navy body.  That may change as we get to teams 13-16.  We will see.   More on the next expansion soon.   We will have 3 votes in the next round, with our first vote to choose 2 more non-NFL cities to expand the league into new markets. 

spacer.png

Oh snap the gargoyles looking font spacer.png

Voting for Austin and Hartford.

Also, I'm just now seeing this series for the first time and it is stellar. The attention to detail, the users voting the markets and the teams in, the immaculate uniforms...fantastic work. The San Diego Sharks, New Orleans Gators, New Orleans Crawdads, Washington Wolves, Orlando Tropics, Orlando Juice, Chicago Winds and California Condors are all fun. Houston Apollos are my favorite of everything so far.

My morning check-in on the votes, and in all honesty I am a bit shocked.  I thought for certain I wouid just see a flurry of Columbus and San Antonio votes after the last two city votes we have had, but it is all over the place.  So, here is the current list, but I am going to also provide the list of cities again with one reason why each one should NOT be chosen. 

4 votes: Birmingham

3 votes: Tucson, Columbus, Hartford, Memphis

2 votes: San Antonio, Austin, Carolina

1 vote:  Texas, Louisville, Tidewater

0 votes: Honolulu, Fresno

And here is my list of why each city should not get a franchise:

• San Antonio, Texas:  Pretty bad stadium and the dome is way too big. 
  • Austin, Texas: Stadium is pretty small, and they cannot grow into another facility.
  • Shared Austin/San Antonio “Texas” franchise—Having a team called "Texas" is weird with Houston already in the league.
  • Columbus, OH--Stadium barely holds 20k, and Ohio Stadium is far too big to be used.
  • Tidewater, VA Region—Relatively low wealth region, and low marketability of the region nationally.
  • Carolina Triangle Region--Basketball country
  • Louisville, KY--basketball country
  • Memphis, TN—low wealth city and stadium is a bit too big.
  • Birmingham, AL—fanbase has been burned too many times
  • Fresno, CA—Fresno, all the glitz of Tupelo but with the taxes of San Francisco
  • Hartford, CT—Way way way too close to Boston and NJ franchises to develop a solid fanbase
  • Tucson, AZ—The AAFL plays in summer, when it is 120 degrees in the shade. 
  • Honolulu, HI—flying to/from Hawaii, especially from/to east coast is unfair and expensive. 

OK, after looking at the downside, maybe some of these locations are not the best.  But who is?  With no quick poll conclusion there are still  36  hours left to vote.