Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

San Antonio, Texas:  Pretty bad stadium and the dome is way too big. 

There are several newer stadiums that can make up the seating difference with temporary seating as well. Dub Farris, Gustafson and Heroes stadium all have at least 10,000 seats without end zone seating. 

Heroes Stadium (NEISD)

edn9rn8p1vluwe1ydhmr.jpg

Gustafson

998x0.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Memphis & Birmingham

My hope is we could get a Carolina/Jacksonville situation where both teams have “similar” nicknames, but instead of big cats it’s music.

Memphis Blues

Alabama Soul

Do we already have a music themed team in NY/NJ? Sure, but there’s also 4 big cat teams in the NFL.

• Like 2

Updated vote count with 43 votes in the books:

8   Birmingham

6   San Antonio, Columbus, and Memphis

4   Texas, Tucson, Hartford

3   Louisville

2   Austin & Tidewater

Looking good for B'Ham, but if 2 of the clubs in the 6 group go on a run, they can still get bumped.   When we hit 6pm tonight, any city that is more than 4 votes behind will be removed and those who voted for them can put in a vote for one of the remaining cities.  Looking at you Loo-uh-vuhl,  Austin and Tidewater.  You have 8 hours to get some votes.  I wonder if Austin votes would go to San Antonio or to the combined SAN/AUS team in San Marcos? 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

There are several newer stadiums that can make up the seating difference with temporary seating as well. Dub Farris, Gustafson and Heroes stadium all have at least 10,000 seats without end zone seating. 

Heroes Stadium (NEISD)

edn9rn8p1vluwe1ydhmr.jpg

Gustafson

998x0.jpg

Yeah, those are not pro football stadiums.  Especially not for a league that is trying to be AAA and draw a national audience.  Even with temporary seating those would still look like HS stadiums, which is a bad look when you have other teams playing in places like Alumni Stadium, the Dome in St. Louis, or Camping World.  

17 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Updated vote count with 43 votes in the books:

8   Birmingham

6   San Antonio, Columbus, and Memphis

4   Texas, Tucson, Hartford

3   Louisville

2   Austin & Tidewater

Looking good for B'Ham, but if 2 of the clubs in the 6 group go on a run, they can still get bumped.   When we hit 6pm tonight, any city that is more than 4 votes behind will be removed and those who voted for them can put in a vote for one of the remaining cities.  Looking at you Loo-uh-vuhl,  Austin and Tidewater.  You have 8 hours to get some votes.  I wonder if Austin votes would go to San Antonio or to the combined SAN/AUS team in San Marcos? 

What happens in the event of the 3-way tie?

If SA, Columbus, and Memphis all end up with the same number of votes? Do we get a mega expansion?

Dumb, pedantic question: Do people in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area commonly refer to it as Tidewater? I know there was a Tidewater Tides affiliate of the Mets years ago that is now the Norfolk Tides. But that's really the only wide reference to that term i can recall. 

The failed bid at an NHL team in the '90s went by Hampton Roads Rhinos. The ABA team in the region went by Virginia Squires. 

Call it what you want, of course. Just throwing that labeling out there for discussion. (Not that it looks like it matters. Still way behind in the voting.)

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Dumb, pedantic question: Do people in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area commonly refer to it as Tidewater? I know there was a Tidewater Tides affiliate of the Mets years ago that is now the Norfolk Tides. But that's really the only wide reference to that term i can recall. 

The failed bid at an NHL team in the '90s went by Hampton Roads Rhinos. The ABA team in the region went by Virginia Squires. 

Call it what you want, of course. Just throwing that labeling out there for discussion. (Not that it looks like it matters. Still way behind in the voting.)

I do recall the Sacramento Kings threatening to relocate to Norfolk about a decade ago.