7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

For those who don’t know…

Try to guess which position this Raven played—

spacer.png

It was not

• RB

• WR

• DB

He looks like a linebacker, maybe inside. 

27 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

You’re getting close!

It’s none other than Defensive End, Jadeveon Clowney-

spacer.png

I know edge positions are blurred, but wasn’t he technically an OLB with the Ravens?

14 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I believe he’s technically listed as “EDGE” so that kinda falls into DE territory.

It depends on the base defense the team runs. In a 4-3, EDGE is the DE position. In a 3-4, it's the OLB. But his size (6'5", 266 lb) would lean toward large OLB or a small DE. So in a way, EDGE may be a better way to describe Clowney.

59 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

It depends on the base defense the team runs. In a 4-3, EDGE is the DE position. In a 3-4, it's the OLB. But his size (6'5", 266 lb) would lean toward large OLB or a small DE. So in a way, EDGE may be a better way to describe Clowney.

Clowney to me is a classic 3-4 OLB, minus a small amount of lateral agility but with more acceleration and strength. He’s faster than most 4-3 ends. He has been both in his career, and I believe was exclusively an end in college. So, who knows?

Side note: I miss the OLBs who could play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3, and who were versatile enough to rush the passer, stop the run, set the edge, OR drop into coverage. Guys whose role the offense couldn’t predict on a given play. Somebody like Seth Joyner or Donnie Edwards. 

Whatever the case, seeing any edge rusher, DL, LB, or hybrid, wearing #24 is wild as heck.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

22 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Second, I would limit the sub-20 numbers to the "non-contact" positions (QB, P, K). Since those players have special protection, they should have their own set. 

I also want to applaud @HOOVER's number set. But I'd suggest taking @rfraser85's  idea here a step further: QBs should be allowed 1-19 but punters and kickers should be limited to single digits. There are fewer of them on a team so they should have the narrowest range of choices. (I'm also intrigued by @BBTV's notion that K's and P's don't need numbers at all, or should be outfitted differently. Makes a ton of sense. )

Regardless, and I've said this before, but keeping position-restricted jersey numbers is a necessity. It gives position groups an identity and adds order to chaos.  Allowing a jersey number free-for-all is an assault on the visual history of the NFL. Allow the exceptions over time -- John Hadl, Jim Jensen, etc. -- to remain quirky anomalies..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I also want to applaud @HOOVER's number set. But I'd suggest taking @rfraser85's  idea here a step further: QBs should be allowed 1-19 but punters and kickers should be limited to single digits. There are fewer of them on a team so they should have the narrowest range of choices. (I'm also intrigued by @BBTV's notion that K's and P's don't need numbers at all, or should be outfitted differently. Makes a ton of sense. )

Regardless, and I've said this before, but keeping position-restricted jersey numbers is a necessity. It gives position groups an identity and adds order to chaos.  Allowing a jersey number free-for-all is an assault on the visual history of the NFL. Allow the exceptions over time -- John Hadl, Jim Jensen, etc. -- to remain quirky anomalies..

Out of curiosity, how would you change the K's and P's uniforms? I could see a gray version of the white jersey, but I don't know what you would do for the color jersey(s).

I'm not sure that's a good idea, though. I know goalies in soccer have a separate jersey, but goalies in hockey don't. Also, Nike is having enough trouble making good jerseys already. I feel like this would make it worse.

1 minute ago, rfraser85 said:

Out of curiosity, how would you change the K's and P's uniforms? I could see a gray version of the white jersey, but I don't know what you would do for the color jersey(s).

I'm not sure that's a good idea, though. I know goalies in soccer have a separate jersey, but goalies in hockey don't. Also, Nike is having enough trouble making good jerseys already. I feel like this would make it worse.

I think @BBTV suggested making them more like soccer goalies: a standard design in a non-team color. I wouldn't have any issue with that.  In addition to benefiting the issue of number circulation, it has an on-field function. They are fundamentally a different type of player than everyone else on the field, and there's never more than one of them on the field at a time.

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I think @BBTV suggested making them more like soccer goalies: a standard design in a non-team color. I wouldn't have any issue with that.  In addition to benefiting the issue of number circulation, it has an on-field function. They are fundamentally a different type of player than everyone else on the field, and there's never more than one of them on the field at a time.

One other problem. We've seen countless posts on sites like this complaining about players doing something non-standard with their uniforms. While this may serve a function, it also risks opening Pandora's box for other changes.

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, coborjobs2010 said:

spacer.png

Honestly, this looks fine. Will need to see the jersey striping better and the likely stripe-less pants will be a donwgrade, but the number font looks pretty cool and it still really resembles the current well-liked road uniform.

That said, I could also easily see this being the most tame of the upcoming set. There are supposed to be 4 unique designs, right? This would likely check the "Toro" look off the list.

• Like 2

spacer.png