Some hockey concepts by mcrosby | Maine Black Bears

mcrosby

It's been a while since I've posted here in part because I've taken a position with hummel, so most of my efforts have been professional. I've been using hockey to help with some writer's block these days, so here we are.  I'll surely have more creative blocks that need working through, so feel free to put in requests for looks. 

I did a Penguins concept a decade+ ago, but I wanted to take another stab. The new skating penguin is more Emperor, and a bit more modern. 

I'm one of the few that absolutely loves the new Islanders jersey, but I was inspired to try something else anyways. Here's a new look for the Isles, with a Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk at least) shaped banner. 

And lastly, fauxbacks for the whole of the Ivy League. Each contains some elements from previous jerseys, many from pre 1900. In the spirit of fauxbacks, we've got vintage white instead of white. I hope some of  you all hate that, because sometimes I do. 
Fauxbacks based on various vintage hockey/rowing/football looks of the Ivy League.

• Like 6

Pens - the crest is great , you've kept the Golden Triangle and making the gloves blue was such an inspired choice. I would love to see a version with the scarf and proportions more similar to the penguin in the 67-68 crest.

Isles - The banner representing Long Island is really good.

As for requests, the ownership of the Utah Jazz put in a request for an NHL Franchise, so either/both a Utahification of the Arizona Coyotes or a brand new expansion team look would be cool.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

That Penguins logo is nice. Adding some subtle light blue trim to the jersey would really complete the look.

Not a huge fan of the Islanders concept. The front logo is too unbalanced and generic.

I like those Penn and Princeton throwbacks, although I get rugby vibes from them more than hockey for some reason.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I love seeing college hockey! This group of Ivy League concepts are fun, and I like the idea of the conference working together to do a reverse retro / city connect type of project. The Ivy collar is pretty clever. A great way for the conference to claim its schools without drawing too much attention. I think Princeton, Penn, Harvard and Cornell are perfect as is (besides the vintage white). The others are heading in the right direction but could use a tweak. 

Brown - This is a difficult one because the problem is the bare chest but not much can be done to get around that considering it was kind of the whole gimmick. The only thing I could think of is a stitch pattern outlining "BROWN" so there'd be something that draws the eye. Other than that, the only thing I could think of is including a hem stripe.

Columbia - A quicker fix, here. I encourage adding a hem stripe but, honestly, I think it would look great if you simply changed the logo from vintage white to navy.

Dartmouth - This jersey doesn't really need change but I think it could be elevated by adding the double green stripe to the bottom of the sleeves. If you're feeling bold, the double stripe could also be included as a pattern on the collar.

Yale - I like the direction but I think a modern touch could be added just to make it more visually engaging. Doing something similar to what the Maple Leafs did with their Arenas jerseys would probably work. 

Great job! Would love to see the uniform references that you mentioned.

• Like 1

• mcrosby changed the title to Some hockey concepts by mcrosby | B1G Fauxbacks
  • mcrosby changed the title to Some hockey concepts by mcrosby | Maine Black Bears