Pitt Football Jerseys

BBTV

I know that up till this year, the Pitt football jerseys had screened-on numbers (IMO one of the coolest number fonts in college football).

But watching the game vs. Temple this weekend, it looked like they switched to stiched twill? Can anyone confirm this? If it is twill, is it one layer (like the swingman style) or three layers (blue white gold)?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

not all teams use stitched numbers on the field, though. up until this year, miami still had screened numbers, and i think florida state still does wear them. it depends a lot on the schools budget and whether or not they want to pay that much to replace dirty ot torn or otherwise worn out jerseys.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It seems to be more of a college vs pros kind of thing. It doesn't apply across the board, but the majority of universities have screened on numbers and the majority of pros are twill. The screen and twill pro/replica argument is more appropriate at the pro level.

up until this year, miami still had screened numbers, and i think florida state still does wear them.

That is correct. UF still wears screened numbers as well.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

This is the first year Pitt has worn tackle twill. They switched companies from Nike to adidas. They seem to prefer habding out tackle twill over screened numbers.

Thanks for confirming that. Do you have any idea if they are the single layer kind (where the colors are screened onto one layer of twill) or if they actually went for three layers? I've been searching on-line for an example and have come up empty so far.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

not all teams use stitched numbers on the field, though. up until this year, miami still had screened numbers, and i think florida state still does wear them. it depends a lot on the schools budget and whether or not they want to pay that much to replace dirty ot torn or otherwise worn out jerseys.

Nope. All major schools have their jerseys given to them by a company. Virtually no D-I school pays for their football jerseys.

It's up to the company and the school wheteher they want tackle-twill or screened numbers.

I'd guess its a three-layer number. Screened colors would fade or break up after several washings in heavy-duty washers.

most d-1 schools do not have jerseys supplied...the costs to the supplier would be enormous...some enter marketing deals with a manufacturer that trades merchandise revenue for "free" gear but in the business world nothing is given away for free without strings attached...even oklahoma has an annual budget with nike that they draw from each year that counts against their merchandise revenues.

Most school apparel deals cover a certain amout of equipment provided at no cost. Here at Tennessee, adidas supplies the football team with 400 jerseys each year (200 white, 200 orange) and the same amount of pants. It's in their multi-year, multi-million dollar contract. There is a set amount they provide each sport. Each of our teams are guaranteed two sets of home and away uniforms, two sets of warm ups, shoes, sweats, etc. In addition to that, the athletic department recieves a check from the company. For all of that, they get to sell as much UT branded stuff as they want. That, and our athletes cannot wear any competing brands during games, practices or anywhere that they have access to because of their standing as athletes.

Not all schools have as sweet of a deal, but most every football team has a similiar arraingement with a company, particularly in major conferences. I know for an absolute fact that no team in the SEC spends any money on football jerseys. adidas supplies our jerseys and Arkansas' at no cost. Nike does the same for Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Vandy, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss. Russell Athletic supplies uniforms for South Carolina, Miss St. and Auburn. In exchange, the coaches and athletes wear nothing other than clothing brnaded with these logos. At some schools, this crosses over to all sports (Nike at KY and Alabama and adidas at UT), and at others, it's sport by sport (Florida wears Nike football and basketball gear, but is adidas for soccer and a couple of other sports, South Carolina has deals with 5 different suppliers).

This is the first year Pitt has worn tackle twill. They switched companies from Nike to adidas. They seem to prefer habding out tackle twill over screened numbers.

Here is a good close-up of the Panthers jersey, and a few photo galleries:

1553.jpg

Pittsburgh vs. Ohio: 09/11/2004

Pittsburgh vs. Nebraska: 9/18/2004

Pittsburgh vs. Furman: 9/25/2004

Pittsburgh vs. Connecticut: 9/30/2004

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived