"Embroidery" technique

eriqjaffe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this over on Double Minor too a while back. The instructions were never given in clear detail, so kinda messed around and came up with my version of it. Here's a few examples of it here:

swordsredat2.th.jpg

Those look awesome. Did you actually add the stitches in photoshop then?

If so, you gotta share that!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Yeah all the work was done in Photoshop. The only thing I did in Illustrator was break the logo into layers with only one color per layer and then size it to the correct size that I want the logo and then export to Photoshop to do the rest. I will write up detailed instructions for this. But to let you know about the stitching now really quickly, I just CTRL Click the layer I want to make stitching around to make it the selection, then Select>Modify>Contract, then I contract the selection by 7. Then go into Path and make the Selection a Path. Then with the Type Toll just click on the Path to type along the path. Then I use Arial 12 pt all CAPS and just type VVVVVV as many times as it takes to fill around the Path. There are other ways to do this, like making a Brush and then just doing Stroke Path, but I did not like the way this method came out, so I do it by typing VVVVV myself.

Yeah all the work was done in Photoshop. The only thing I did in Illustrator was break the logo into layers with only one color per layer and then size it to the correct size that I want the logo and then export to Photoshop to do the rest. I will write up detailed instructions for this. But to let you know about the stitching now really quickly, I just CTRL Click the layer I want to make stitching around to make it the selection, then Select>Modify>Contract, then I contract the selection by 7. Then go into Path and make the Selection a Path. Then with the Type Toll just click on the Path to type along the path. Then I use Arial 12 pt all CAPS and just type VVVVVV as many times as it takes to fill around the Path. There are other ways to do this, like making a Brush and then just doing Stroke Path, but I did not like the way this method came out, so I do it by typing VVVVV myself.

This might seem an elementary question compared to all the great stitching and detail work, but where can you get or how did you make the mesh jersey background that looks so real?

Thanks.

fade.gif

The background I had made by making a simple pattern with just 2 diamond shapes and then just fill the layer with the pattern. Then I got the Machine Wash filter and they had a jersey pattern I liked better then mine, so I went with that one. I might either just post the background for people to download and use or write down step by step how the Machine Wash does it. Depends on how people want it. Think it would just be easier to post the blank background? I know some people like making the think all the way through.

The background I had made by making a simple pattern with just 2 diamond shapes and then just fill the layer with the pattern. Then I got the Machine Wash filter and they had a jersey pattern I liked better then mine, so I went with that one. I might either just post the background for people to download and use or write down step by step how the Machine Wash does it. Depends on how people want it. Think it would just be easier to post the blank background? I know some people like making the think all the way through.

Give a man a fish and he eats for one day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

psst - post the how-to :D (not that I have any talent for using it, but this has been a very interesting read)

It's where I sit.

Wow... and after that, how did you refined that stitching?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Wow, that's Brilliams! That is what always was lacking was the little stitches. Excellent work. The Suns logo is stunning.

Archived