Washing a Jersey

pcgd

* Move this is its needed, but its Logo/Jersey related, so it seemed to fit here best *

I've had a red manchester united jersey (or kit for you futbol fans) for about 2 years now. I've washed it normally numerous times and over time, the white Vodafone logo has become...well gross. The rest of the jersey has held up beautifully. But the logo has not. Its not fabric (the logo), its kinda a rubberlike material. I've tried scrubing it with a couple different detergents, but it won't come out. I don't want to use bleach cause of the black outline and the red material.

Anyone have similar issues or any suggestions?

(Also, interesting story on the jersey. My roomate went to England for a chorus trip. I asked him to buy me a manchester united t-shirt. I told him I'd pay. He said we'd take care of the transaction when he got back. He brought me a authentic manchester kit! I asked him how much I owed him, he said "Nothing.")

technically, from what i've gathered, it's only a kit if it's the whole shabangabang... shirt, shorts, and socks... the jersey is just called a "shirt" :)

or at least in blackburn...

i have no idea what to tell you about getting anything off of there... i've got some good instructions from another rovers fan when i got my shirt about how to wash and care for the thing, to keep the HSA sponsor from peeling... but if it's already started to come off, i don't have any tips on how to fix it or take the rest of it off.

i'd recommend, if you've gone 2 years without buying a shirt, and even then didn't have to pay for it, just go to the mall or something and get one of the new ones... you're lucky to support such a world famous club. you can get the shirts from almost any sporting goods store.

try being a rovers fan :) i had to mail order, and ended up paying more for shipping than i did for the actual shirt... who would have thought that teams in the bottom half of the english premier league wouldn't have very many shirts available for sale in texas? :)

I have the same one. The important thing is to wash it cold water and add a little oxi-clean type stuff. But not directly onto it. Make sure it's cold water. I washed mine in hot water one time and now my numbers are peeling off. Now I'm gonna have to run out and get a new one. Darn!!!!!! :D

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

technically, from what i've gathered, it's only a kit if it's the whole shabangabang... shirt, shorts, and socks... the jersey is just called a "shirt" :)

or at least in blackburn...

i have no idea what to tell you about getting anything off of there... i've got some good instructions from another rovers fan when i got my shirt about how to wash and care for the thing, to keep the HSA sponsor from peeling... but if it's already started to come off, i don't have any tips on how to fix it or take the rest of it off.

i'd recommend, if you've gone 2 years without buying a shirt, and even then didn't have to pay for it, just go to the mall or something and get one of the new ones... you're lucky to support such a world famous club. you can get the shirts from almost any sporting goods store.

try being a rovers fan :) i had to mail order, and ended up paying more for shipping than i did for the actual shirt... who would have thought that teams in the bottom half of the english premier league wouldn't have very many shirts available for sale in texas? :)

Yeah, I really don't follow them as much anymore. Its still a sharp lookin' jersey. It was when I was first getting into soccer, and they are the most visiable team over here. Them, Arsensal, and Real. So like a little kid when asked his favorite team, I said the one that everyone likes.

I'd love to get a Chicago Fire Jersey, but they are like twice as much as European jerseys are.

Anyway, I'll try the oxiclean. I have none, so it might be awhile. its always been washed in cold water (with other darks) and its not pealing at all. Just grungy.

try worldsoccershop.com or soccer.com. I'm pretty sure the first one has Blackburn shirts. Not so sure about the second. Try kitbag.com, too.

Cole, where in Texas are ya? I play in the San Antonio league. My squad is currently starting to raise funds for our annual trip to England in September. We got to see a Champions League match last year at Highbury(Arsenal vs PSG). Unfortunately it was from the pub 1/4 mile away. But we could still hear the cheers when Arsenal scored.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

try worldsoccershop.com or soccer.com. I'm pretty sure the first one has Blackburn shirts. Not so sure about the second. Try kitbag.com, too.

Cole, where in Texas are ya? I play in the San Antonio league. My squad is currently starting to raise funds for our annual trip to England in September. We got to see a Champions League match last year at Highbury(Arsenal vs PSG). Unfortunately it was from the pub 1/4 mile away. But we could still hear the cheers when Arsenal scored.

i'm from dallas... never played the game :) all i've ever played is hockey, and that was years ago before i completely ruined my knee... now i can't play much of anything, but really plopty pick-up basketball. lol.... started following blackburn rovers right after the 2002 world cup, because i wanted to keep watching brad friedel... but now i've become so attached to the club that once big brad leaves, i'll still call rovers my team.

and i tried worldsoccershop at one point, but all they had was the old AMD processors shirts from like 3 years ago... old style, kappa.. in size medium...

i'm a size XL, and i really wanted the new lonsdale shirts, with the HSA logo on them. they just look much cleaner to me.

but even if i tried kitbag or world soccer shop, that's still ordering them through the mail... if i supported Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, or Real Madrid, i could just drive to the mall and grab a shirt any day of the week... i ended up buying mine through the BRFCS.com, the big rovers supporters fan club. threw in a donation of a couple pounds to the site, and they even sent me a nice little banner from the official shop at ewood for free... great fans :) very helpful.

and i've never been to england... but then again, the farthest east i've ever been is boston (when i was born), and the farthest west i've been is texas :) never left north america.... my family heritage is largely scottish, and my mother did some tracing back of our roots, and found out our family is southern scottish... so i'd really like to go visit northern england and southern scotland one day, and stop by ewood while i'm there for a game... kill 2 birds with one stone. see the blue and white halves at home, and visit the place where my ancestors called home.

wash that bloody united shirt in bleach..when its tottenham white..you'll be all set.

C'MON YOU SPURS!

stupid story:

one weekend i was at home watching a rovers/spurs game on fox sports world... my mom comes into the room and hears the commentator...

for some reason it's hilarious to me, but my mother, from troy, alabama, can't stop making fun of spurs name... first, she says "what the hell is a hotspur? is it like tiny little spurs for some kind of british cowboy boot? like hot-pants?" and then that devolves into calling them the "taters" :) why? because the tattertottenham tatter tots would apparently be a better team name than tottenham hotspurs :)

not sure why i felt the need to share that, but i figured a spurs fan would get a kick out of it.

I have the same one. The important thing is to wash it cold water and add a little oxi-clean type stuff. But not directly onto it. Make sure it's cold water. I washed mine in hot water one time and now my numbers are peeling off. Now I'm gonna have to run out and get a new one. Darn!!!!!! :D

Thanks for the tip, it might help to keep the sponsor's logo on my Liverpool shirt clean.

liverpool-1.png

I have small sportswear Screen printing shop...I tell all my customer to wash the apparel inside out to pro-long the print. the print can hit the walls of the washing machine and dryer. I have seen shirts that print looks like it was attacked by a wild animal.

I have small sportswear Screen printing shop...I tell all my customer to wash the apparel inside out to pro-long the print. the print can hit the walls of the washing machine and dryer. I have seen shirts that print looks like it was attacked by a wild animal.

I usually do this, but its not screened. Its really hard to discribe what its printed like. Its like a rubber, but its got some grip to it as well so you can't run your finger across it easily. Kinda like a smooth leather coat. It seems to be a magnet for dirt however.

I've got two of last season's Man United Tops as well as several other football jerseys, and I know from experience that the key to washing them is:

A: Seperate them from all other fabrics. Don't try putting knits and flannels in with the jerseys as you can get colours running from them onto the white Vodafone logo. My best advice to have a seperate jersey wash from your normal laundry. Thats what I do with all my sports shirts.

B: Wash inside out. This is also important as if any runnable material slip through the cracks, it will end up on the inside of the shirt.

C: FADE-RESISTANT DETERGENT. A must for anyone with football tops. It apparently puts a very thin layer of a UV blocking chemical over the surface of the fabric which helps maintain bright colours.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

wash that bloody united shirt in bleach..when its tottenham white..you'll be all set.

C'MON YOU SPURS!

stupid story:

one weekend i was at home watching a rovers/spurs game on fox sports world... my mom comes into the room and hears the commentator...

for some reason it's hilarious to me, but my mother, from troy, alabama, can't stop making fun of spurs name... first, she says "what the hell is a hotspur? is it like tiny little spurs for some kind of british cowboy boot? like hot-pants?" and then that devolves into calling them the "taters" :) why? because the tattertottenham tatter tots would apparently be a better team name than tottenham hotspurs :)

not sure why i felt the need to share that, but i figured a spurs fan would get a kick out of it.

and what place is Blackburn in in the Premiership??

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

C'MON YOU SPURS!

stupid story:

and what place is Blackburn in in the Premiership??

are you seriously asking? or is this another one of those "my team is better than yours, so admit it" sorta things?

i've got nothing against spurs. i just found my mom's insanity amusing.

Than ks for the tips, I had the same problem with my Fiorentina shirt, but no other ones. I guess my girlfriend knows those tips, while my grandma didn't know.

Just few hours ago I came back from 5 day trip to London and on Picadilli square I found a huge sportstore called Lillywhite (what a name for a sports store?!) and one flor full of different kits, shirts, jerseys, jumpers, whatever, and other accesories, for rock bottom prices. No shirt was above 30 punds and some were 6 (january sale). I spent altogether probably 3 hours only around those jerseys trying to figure out which one to buy. I ended up buying some shirts for present and only got me a 6 pound celtic 2004 road long sleeve shirt, but imagine a man city shirt with anelka on the back, Milwall, Leeds diadora, Hibernian, Hearts, Shefield wednesday, and of course all those big team names. A paradise on earth. Check it out when in area, or just make a trip to London just for that.

Archived