Allentown Outlawz

Nick 1733

Is this for Allentown PA? If so, there may be some adversion to having guns in a logo (unless they gave that to you as a req.)

Other than the guns, the first thing I noticed was the mixing of fonts. Does "Allentown" need to be in a different font than "Outlawz"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The two fonts are similar enough for the difference to be a little annoying. Use the top version for the whole wordmark...it's straight edges give it a rougher feel, which might work better for "Outlawz".

Incorporate some gold into the wordmark, maybe around "Allentown", to tie it in better with the logo.

Lighten up the watermark. It's creating its own shading onto the main logo.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Drop the "Z" and add an "S". To me that is one of the worst trends in Sports Names. Was it started because people thought a ZZZZZ sound at the end is tougher than an SSSS sound?

Other than that, the logo itself isn't bad. Crossed Weapons has been done so much before, but at least it's not another "bandit" with a handkerchief over his mouth

The Gold of the trigger should be obscured by the Silver of the trigger-guard.

Beyond that, I'd talk to the team about going in another direction with their identity. The Outlaws name, with a pair of crossed revolvers for a logo, is about as generic an identity package as you can come up with... and has absolutely no relevance to Allentown. I'd suggest:

Allentown Ironmen, Allentown Vulcans or Allentown Forge... all of which reference Allentown's emergence as a center of iron production during the American Industrial Revolution.

Allentown Truckers, Allentown Wheels or Allentown Bulldogs... all of which allude to the city being the site of Mack Trucks' headquarters.

Allentown Justice... which pays homage to the city's founder, William Allen. Allen served as Chief Justice of colonial Pennsylvania's Supreme Court.

I'd like to see a more stylized set of guns. You reproduced these with good accuracy but the lines are thin in areas. You can get too detailed with items like this which makes you focus too much on nuances and not the logo as a whole.

Make them more bold in line and maybe simplify the detail a hair. You will need this logo to translate onto helmet sticker so bolder is easier to reproduce.

Unfortunately, when I think of Allentown, Pennsylvania, it doesn't conjure up visions of "Wild West" outlaws and bandits in my head. The identity was a poor choice on the part of the team's owners.

When I think of Allentown, PA, I think of Billy Joel...

...and then I think about how his song about Allentown is really about Bethlehem, PA.

The city had an independent league baseball team, the Allentown Ambassadors, which was equally fitting.

Personally, I think if they're going to "go gansta" by using a "Z" as part of what should be "Outlaws," then why not do a gansta version of it? Instead of using faux Colt .45 pistols, make 'em Glock 9's or Ruger .45's or something.

If it doesn't show them the error of their ways in using "Outlawz," at least it'd be a completely fresh approach - I've never seen any team in any sport use such a look.

nav-logo.png

Is there any way you could bring the wordmark up and lay over the handles of the guns? I think it would look much better that way. And what's up with the "Z" on the end. I'm starting to think that Allentown is in Utah. :D

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Hello all ... my name is Felix Gutierrez and I am the Director of Marketing and Media Relations for the "Lehigh Valley Outlawz" ... I had asked several individuals to come up with a identy package for the new team which by the way will be playing at the Stabler Arena located on Lehigh University complex ... not sure if we will begin play this year or next ... but it will be a PRO arena team ... as I was saying I have gotten several sketches ranging from the crossed pistol to the bandit with the hanky ... all quality work ( I wish i could pay for all of the designs ) .. i would have to agree with Brian in Boston .. i dont like the name and wish I had a logo package that just was so good (great) that the owners would change the name and not give me any grief ... I am accepting new ideas and old (referring to the Outlawz logo) and we are not Allentown but Lehigh Valley ... we will pay up to $500.00 US and a mercahndise package as well as a link on our site ... I can be reach directly at accessdev_2000@yahoo.com

Hello all ... my name is Felix Gutierrez and I am the Director of Marketing and Media Relations for the "Lehigh Valley Outlawz" ... I had asked several individuals to come up with a identy package for the new team which by the way will be playing at the Stabler Arena located on Lehigh University complex ... not sure if we will begin play this year or next ... but it will be a PRO arena team ... as I was saying I have gotten several sketches ranging from the crossed pistol to the bandit with the hanky ... all quality work ( I wish i could pay for all of the designs ) .. i would have to agree with Brian in Boston .. i dont like the name and wish I had a logo package that just was so good (great) that the owners would change the name and not give me any grief ... I am accepting new ideas and old (referring to the Outlawz logo) and we are not Allentown but Lehigh Valley ... we will pay up to $500.00 US and a mercahndise package as well as a link on our site ... I can be reach directly at accessdev_2000@yahoo.com

Well for starters, don't call yourselves the Mountain Hawks!

I'm willing to bet that trademark infringement prevents you from using Bethlehem Steel as a name. Personally, I'd think that's much better than Outlawz (or outlaws, or in-laws for that matter). That being said, I like the name Lehigh Valley Steel. It plays off the history of "the Steel".

- Beantown77, Lehigh '98

patriotssignature.png

Archived