How to stop the sandbagging?

WJMorris3

Does anyone know if the NBA has any way to stop a team from intentionally losing?

I could see the Detroit Pistons tanking a few games at the end of the year, if they think it'll get them from the 5th seed to the 6th seed. Not only would they earn the right to host the Atlantic Division champ, but they'd be able to avoid the Heat until the conference finals.

LvZYtbZ.png

Does anyone know if the NBA has any way to stop a team from intentionally losing?

I could see the Detroit Pistons tanking a few games at the end of the year, if they think it'll get them from the 5th seed to the 6th seed.  Not only would they earn the right to host the Atlantic Division champ, but they'd be able to avoid the Heat until the conference finals.

I don't think the #6 seed gets home court even if their record is better than the #3 division winner.

I thought they did. Maybe it was something added this year, but I remember hearing something about it. Some sort of discussion about it asking why the rankings even matter, if they don't decide the home court. But my knowledge of how the NBA Playoffs work is limited, so there's a good chance I'm wrong.

IUe6Hvh.png

I thought they did.  Maybe it was something added this year, but I remember hearing something about it.  Some sort of discussion about it asking why the rankings even matter, if they don't decide the home court.  But my knowledge of how the NBA Playoffs work is limited, so there's a good chance I'm wrong.

Well, and this is just my assumption, it works much like the NHL where division winners are seeded 1-3 based on record and then the next highest 5 teams are 4-8 with teams 1-4 getting home court advantage.

Edit: And I'm wrong. While the division winners are seeded 1-3 and the rest of the conference 4-8, home court goes to the team with the better w-l regardless of seeding. Wow. What a truly pointless system.

No they dont get home court against the Atlantic Champ and nobody will sandbag to go from 5-6 becuase it will hurt you one way or another in the end.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Okay, I know the rule exists that home advantage in the playoffs is not determined by seed, but by record in the NBA.

The rule made more sense before this year, when the best two teams in a conference played in the same division. The second-best team would be the 3 seed but would host the 2 seed (the other division champ.)

This year, they've opened the can of worms because now the 6 seed could conceivably have a better record than the 3 seed (the worst division champ.)

So if I was the Pistons, I'd try to fall to the 6 seed, for two reasons. One, I'd probably host the first round playoff series with the Sixers or Celtics. Two, because of the fixed playoff system, once I got past Philly or Boston, I'd face the winner of the 2-7 series. Right now, that's probably Cleveland. If I stay as 5, I'm seeing Miami in the second round.

LvZYtbZ.png

no worrys there will be no sandbagging at The Palace of Auburn Hills, they're only a half game back of Cleveland so it won't happen. If you noticed last season. The Pistons proved they can play, and when the playoffs come, they will take all comers again. They are the Patriots of the NBA, they don't talk smack they go out there and they play to win. Remember who they are they are the defending NBA Champions. They come to play. So no sandbagging, no worries about the Miami Heat.

wow, someone actually watches regular season NBA.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

No they dont get home court against the Atlantic Champ and nobody will sandbag to go from 5-6 becuase it will hurt you one way or another in the end.

Yes they do. If any seed (4th or lower) has a better record than any of the 3 division champs, the lower seed gets the home court. It's new this year with the re-alignement.

The 3rd seed will undoubtabley get home court over the Atlantic champ this year.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

No, the Atlantic champ would still be the 3 seed. They just might not host in the first round.

Then what exactly is the point of seeding?

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Archived