Queensland Roar

number55

The Queensland Lions finally unveiled their new logo and team name on Friday. The team entry for the new Hyundai A-League will be known as the QLD Roar.

sfc_logo_sfc.gif

The press release with more info is at the Roar's website.

It surprises me that there is no orange in this new logo. Orange was the primary colour in the Lions previous logo, the club being founded by Dutch immigrants. Looks like they've gone with the same set of colours as the Brisbane Lions AFL team.

FWIW I really like it. Interested to hear Aussie's thoughts, amongst others.

i really like it too, though i think the three color thing under the lion is unnecessary.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The three colours are in line with the Brisbane Lions and the Brisbane Broncos, maroon, gold and blue, so I think the absence of orange makes sense for that reason.

Nitrosense™? Should I look up the government patent website concerning that? :P

Just of curiosity, anyone posted this yet?

New Zealand Knights

I saw, I came, I left.

Apart from the dumb name ROAR, I like it.

The Lion is a good looking lion, though I'd also like to see what it looks like with the two dark colours seperated.

I'd like to see what the Lion looks like with Charlotte Bobcats written next to it :therock:

liverpool-1.png

I agree Aussie, the wordmark and the logo don't seem to sit together well.

Quadival - yeah I realise the reasons for that colour scheme, I'm just surprised the club went away from orange. Although, on their website one of their new signings is holding up what looks like an orange jersey...you never know.

While I like the name change of the Football Kingz (note the z) to the NZ Knights, that logo really reminds me of the one that the US Army collegiate athletics used to use as either their primary or secondary (I looked quickly but was unable to track it down). I think even the present Army logo is better than the Knights effort. Latly, the football inside the shield in the NZ logo looks awful.

quadival - yeah I realise the reasons for that colour scheme, I'm just surprised the club went away from orange. Although, on their website one of their new signings is holding up what looks like an orange jersey...you never know.

I figured that you already knew about the colour scheme. However, I thought I'd give the info for those who don't know. :)

I saw, I came, I left.

If we are talking bad logo's in the A-League, we need look no further than the new Perth Glory logo. Perth have usually been leaders in this field, and have possibly the best team on and off the field, but this logo is very amateurish and looks like it was done in MS Paint!

perthGlory.gif

For reference, this was their old logo!

perthglory_01.gif

My Nitrosense? is tingling... I've seen this somewhere before.  :therock:

It did remind me of the New Jersey Pride of the MLL--and there's another one I can't think of right now either...

mll_pride_logo.gif

http://www.sobesportssystem.com/mll/pride.shtml

The other one in my head is probably closer...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Quadival - Sorry I got so touchy, I now see what you were trying to get across.

Stampman - Um...yeah. Um, gee I hope we didn't rip that logo off on purpose, they are very very similar. :blink:

Dasher39 - Thanks for bringing up the Glory logo...talk about going from 1st to worst, that new one is a stinker.

Just for interest, here are the logos from all the A-League teams

* Sorry if these have been posted before!

Sydney FC

sfc.jpg

Adelaide United FC

IMG_0068.jpg

(Apologies for the pic, its the only pic I could find of their logo. Go to www.adelaideunited.com.au to see it better)

Melbourne Victory FC

MEL003_CD.jpg

Perth Glory

gloryboystestbanner.jpg

Queensland Roar

sfc_logo_sfc.gif

Newcastle United Jets

JetsLogo.gif

Central Coast Mariners

sfc_logo_sfc_2.gif

New Zealand Knights

knights%20final3.gif

A-League Logo

a_league_button.jpg

There are a few good ones in there, you cant really tell from the pic, but Adelaide's is very good and Sydney's is excellent. Qld Roar logo is great, the name is not so great! And Perth...terrible!

if yas ask me, the Vicotry one is quite good, at least they came up with something without having to change the name.... (Melbourne City) I think that the QLD Roar is the Victory's new rival in worst team name!

You are probably right there, however the Victory name has grown on me. I am sure there were a number of reasons the name was chosen, one of them being:

- Melbourne is in the state of VICTORIA

- When at the games, I can see the name Victory being abbreviated by fans to simply "Vics" which Australians will know is the common nickname of Victoria!

So from that point of view I dont mind the name!

There arent a lot of terribly exciting names in the new league!

I now await the unveiling of the kits, which Reebok say will be in stores in June!

Archived