Grand jury uncovers CU slush fund

the_cynic

ESPN Article

Discuss below......

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

SMU death penalty? Tank, can you fill me in on that?

I was just thinking the same thing.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

For most of the early to mid 80's SMU's football team was under investigation by the NCAA. What the NCAA found was at least a half a million dollars passed from boosters to assistant coaches, recruits and players. The violations were so egregious that the NCAA gave SMU the "death penalty," stripping the team of all of its scholarships, prohibiting the team from playing on TV or bowls for a few years and other such sanctions. All of the SMU players were declared free agents and could play immediately for other D1A schools without penalty. As a result, SMU had an insufficient number of players to field a football team for the 1987 and 1988 seasons. That's where the term "Death Penalty" came from - the sanctions essentially killed the football program for two years. Starting in 1989 SMU started getting scholarships back and thus they once again fielded a team, albeit one that was hardly competitive for quite a few seasons thereafter. Many could argue the team is still reeling from the scandal nearly 20 years later.

:censored:ing Barnett.

Man, watch your language. We have 12 & 13 year old's around these boards now! :D

Retired Number's To Come

Yeah, watch the mouth.

Here's how I see it. Colorado gets five years probation, no TV, no bowl games, fires Barnett, and has to clean up their act because of the dreaded lack of institutional control.

Not the death penalty, but about as close as you can get.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Now I can see where you are coming from. Since CU had already been in hot water about the female kicker and the recruiting scandal, the slush fund may be the final nail in the coffin for CU.

You wonder... if CU had this many skeletons in its closet, how many does the average program have?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Now I can see where you are coming from. Since CU had already been in hot water about the female kicker and the recruiting scandal, the slush fund may be the final nail in the coffin for CU.

You wonder... if CU had this many skeletons in its closet, how many does the average program have?

Not just D-I either. You'd be surprised at the shenanigans going on at a lot of D-2 and even D-3 schools.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived