Ravens Logo

stlramsfan

the Cubs have CHICAGO on the roads. the Yankees have NY on the homes and NEW YORK on the roads. teh Red Sox have BOSTON on teh roads. Along the line of TCR's post, somehow I don't think a Cubs fan in Fargo, a Yankee fan in Akron or a Red Sox fan in Orlando feel excluded, or that their teams don't care about them ;)

Exactly. And the Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees are dealing with FAR more nationwide fanbases than the Baltimore Orioles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As to why there's no Baltimore on the Orioles uniforms? We don't know. Angelos is stupid. Probably so as not to exclude Washington fans, though I never understood that line of thinking with any team that does it, because it's not as if I would be like "what? Baltimore on road jerseys? They're excluding me! They don't care about me!" if I was an Orioles fan in Virginia, or Brewers fan further from Milwaukee.

It has nothing to do with Angelos. The Orioles removed Baltimore from their road uniforms back when the Senators moved to Texas to appeal more to the Washongton fans who just lost their team. Angelos was not the owner then.

The most maddening part is that it's for ROAD games. They're not even wearing the Baltimore script in front of hometown fans. Geez. It's half the freaking name. City + Nickname = Team Name. Why don't these people get it.

The most maddening part is that it's for ROAD games. They're not even wearing the Baltimore script in front of hometown fans. Geez. It's half the freaking name. City + Nickname = Team Name. Why don't these people get it.

They're trying to maintain their regional presence and it's not just the jerseys. You won't see 'Baltimore' anywhere in Camden Yards -- not the scoreboard, not the dugout, not the tickets, not in the P.A. announcements, etc. They also don't use it in the scorebox on the telecasts.

They're losing more fans IN Baltimore in what is perceived as an abandonment of their home city. I know fans who think the Orioles aren't proud of the city in which they play and the fans take that personally.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I know fans who think the Orioles aren't proud of the city in which they play and the fans take that personally.

and with the lousy teams they have fielded for the last few years, I'll wager the city is not too proud of the Orioles either :P

mvps.jpg

They're trying to maintain their regional presence and it's not just the jerseys. You won't see 'Baltimore' anywhere in Camden Yards -- not the scoreboard, not the dugout, not the tickets, not in the P.A. announcements, etc. They also don't use it in the scorebox on the telecasts.

They're losing more fans IN Baltimore in what is perceived as an abandonment of their home city. I know fans who think the Orioles aren't proud of the city in which they play and the fans take that personally.

It's just stupid. I wish Selig would make a rule about city names on road greys to stop this nonsense.

Archived