Kurt Warner With The Cardinals?

stlramsfan

I'm not defending what he did last year. Three years, hand injuries and concussions can make a big difference in a career.

But the 3 solid years in St.Louis deserve a little more credit than "They won in spite of him, not because of him."

I don't want to sound like they won in spite of Kurt Warner -- but to name him the leagues MVP was ridiculous.

I think, a large percentage of NFL QB's could have stepped into that role and been successful. Do you think Kurt Warner did any better than Trent Green would have?

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't think Warner was the most talented player in the NFL at the time, but I think he was just as much a reason as anyone else on that team for their winning.

...and the way Barber was running at the start of the year (with an O-line that heavily favours run-blocking), would you ever throw the ball? Plus, you go from a situation where you have talented receivers highlighting your skills to poor receivers downplaying your skills.

Plus Warner brings a lot of intangibles, like leadership, character, and a desire to win. Stuff that can be as important to a team as being able to throw a ball 10 yards further downfield.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

If Warner was the Rams QB the last two years the Rams would have put up a fight in '04-'05 and been in the Super Bowl in '03-'04.

He's six times the QB Marc Bulger is and I'm beginning to like Bulger. Bulger never should have had his job. Bulger to this day struggles with the long ball (though he's getting better).

Think about this. We have the same caliber recievers now as we did then (I know Bruce has gotten older, but Holt has approached his prime). They got open deep then and they get open deep now. Warner (when his hand was healthy) hit those recievers deep 75+% of the time. Bulger is below 50%. That's where the QB matters with an insanely talented team. You can say all Warner had to do was get them the ball, but it's not a given that a QB in the NFL will do that. Bulger doesn't (as often); Warner did. And Warner hits in stride.

Warner was a great QB with a great offense and a good QB with an okay offense. Bulger is a good QB with a great offense and would be an okay QB with an okay offense.

Hopefully Bulger becomes great, but in no way was the change warranted, and Warner proved that this year. Why? Martz let him go because he didn't think he could throw the same. You can think he throws well or not, but you already implied he throws the same. If he throws the same Martz made a mistake. Martz will never admit it. He'll keep lieing through his teeth saying Bulger is the best QB he's ever coached, but we all know he's lieing, and frankly it disturbs me very much he has to keep putting Warner down instead of just moving on.

Martz is actually the reason for Warners demise. Martz said Warner was back to being healthy in 2003 and would definatley be the starter. And Warner appeared to be healthy. And then the offensive line plays terrible, Martz calls 54 passes (plus one by a WR) compared to 13 runs, and Warner sustains a concussion in the first half. To summarize, Martz left Warner out to dry the whole game. Warner never stood a chance. Then Bulger played the next game because Warner was injured, played horrible, almost lost to the pitiful 49ers, and Martz lies says Bulger played great and Warner never started for the Rams again.

I'm not a great writer, I didn't organize that real well.

My point however is that Kurt Warner was and is a great QB. Like any player, he needs a good team to show it all the time, but he is. You will see if he signs with a team like the Cardinals.

I'll leave you with one final stat.

Career Passer Rating: Kurt Warner: 97.2: The Highest Ever

My point however is that Kurt Warner was and is a great QB. Like any player, he needs a good team to show it all the time, but he is. You will see if he signs with a team like the Cardinals.

Looks like he's a Cardinals 1 Year, $4 Million Dollar Deal

Warner did'nt win a single game with the Rams after he lost the SuperBowl to the Patriots. He went something like 0-6 at the beginning of the next year, in which Bulger came in and turned around the Rams season, and then was destroyed in the opening game of the following season.

Is there something here I'm missing? The guy didn't win a start in two years, yet the change to Bulger was totally unwarranted? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just a little confuused.

I don't think Warner is the most overrated QB in the history of the game, but I surely don't think he's near the top of the Greats. I liken his skills to those of Drew Bledsoe. He had a few amazing years with tons of weapons around him (like Drew did in NE), but his skills have deteriorated and now both are old and mediocre.

Agreed, Epper.

If Kurt Warner is a starter -- I got money on the fact that in the span of time he does start, the Cardinals are the NFL's most sacked team.

And I'll put money on the Cardinals finshing over .500.

Warner didn't win in 2002 because he was hurt and had to play the part of the schedule against quality opponents, and he didn't win the first game in 2003 because of Martz and the offensive line. Is that any easy excuse? Yes, but it's true. Just look at the stats.

Agreed, Epper.

If Kurt Warner is a starter -- I got money on the fact that in the span of time he does start, the Cardinals are the NFL's most sacked team.

And I'll put money on the Cardinals finshing over .500.

Warner didn't win in 2002 because he was hurt and had to play the part of the schedule against quality opponents, and he didn't win the first game in 2003 because of Martz and the offensive line. Is that any easy excuse? Yes, but it's true. Just look at the stats.

Ahh yes. Damn their offensive line for swatting the ball out of his hand 6 times!

IUe6Hvh.png

Warner was damned good during those three years with the Rams. There's no denying that, nor taking that away from him.

That being said, his time in the sun is pretty much finished. He hasn't played well in two years. Martz is not the reason for Warner's lack of recent success, no matter how much Martz has screwed up otherwise.

Warner may very well help the Cardinals. Then again, there are days I suspect that signing myself and JQK to play for the Cards would improve them, so it's really not saying much. I think Warner will likely play reasonably well in the situation, but he's no saviour.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Then again, there are days I suspect that signing myself and JQK to play for the Cards would improve them, so it's really not saying much.

If George Boone were still in charge of player personnel, I'd say you each had a good shot of getting drafted. Who knows, you could have been the next Steve Pisarkiewicz, Clyde Duncan or Kelly Stauffer?

Ahh yes. Damn their offensive line for swatting the ball out of his hand 6 times!

Well you can't deny the offensive line has to have a part in preventing fumbles by preventing sacks, and they sucked. And for what it's worth, Warner lost only three of those fumbles.

I know you will simply counter this with it was Warner's fault and not the line's, but they allowed six sacks.

Yeah, maybe that was Warner's fault, but are you gonna blame Warner for just having 3.1 yards per carry and just 40 total? You can't. That's either the lines fault or Martz's fault, and it was both. In fact, it was mostly Martz, but the line had a large part.

You need to explain to me how calling 55 passes (54 for Kurt) vs. 13 runs can possibly set your QB up for success. It can't. Warner never had a chance. The defense knew what was coming every play and they had no problem getting around a poor offensive line.

Warner was hit or hurried on many plays and sustained a concussion in the first half.

Through all of that he still completed 34-54, a 63% completion rating, and threw just one INT. He kept them in the game the whole time.

Oh, and by the way, Warner had just come off of his best preseason ever. The numbers aren't terribly important, but it proved he was back on track.

The fact that Bulger started the next game against SF was no big deal. Warner was recovering from a concussion. The fact that Warner didn't return for the week 3 game against Seattle, however, was and to this day is ridiculous.

Mike Martz didn't ruin Warner because he isn't ruined, but Mike Martz did unfairly ruin Warner's career in St. Louis.

Archived