by way of introduction

I have lurked on this board for a couple of years, and I have just recently rung in with several posts. So, in order not to seem utterly impolite, allow me to introduce myself by displaying my "work" (such as it is).

These are two baseball uni sets. They are done with Paint, so they are a little crude looking. However, I think they embody the ideas that I had very well.

I created this first logo and uniform back in 1983. They were ostensibly for my softball team; however, we never actually got them produced. (We used cheaply-made t-shirts, and just imagined that we had these uniforms.)

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the New York Diamonds.

I am particularly proud of that cap logo!

Now here is one that I did for a friend's sim baseball team. It incorporates a design element rarely seen in baseball -- something which I wouldn't want to see on every team, but which I think looks good here.

Los Tiburones Negros (the Black Sharks)

The overall look of both of these sets is pretty clean and simple, I think, which certainly illustrates my tastes. I almost always prefer buttondown/belt over pullover/waistband; and I also prefer white-at-home/grey-on-road over alts or multiple combinations. The only real exception that I can think of right now is the mid-70s A's uni set, which I thought was wonderful just as it was.

As I mentioned, these two uniforms of mine were done in Paint. But, even if I had experience with real graphic tools, I really don't think I would have made them any different.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Open up an account at photobucket.com.It's free and it allows you to post your images directly into your post instead of linking them.It's the preferred host of the CCSLC :D

Recommend by 9 out of 10 regular posters ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Open up an account at photobucket.com.It's free and it allows you to post your images directly into your post instead of linking them.It's the preferred host of the CCSLC  :D

Recommend by 9 out of 10 regular posters ^_^

I'm not also a client of Photo Bucket, i'm also the idiot :rolleyes:

Beware the ides of march cesarano ;)

Anyways, not a bad start -- you'll need an outline on the sharks cap logo to seperate the two dark colours... also the diamonds cap is a neat idea, although my first instant impression was that it was a W -- maybe shorten the lines extending from the N and Y on the left?

Just some ideas.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

RE: New York Diamonds.

Last week we had a thread regarding the use of negative space in logos. In which, many of us said trying to be too clever, or being a slave to your negative space idea can be hinder the rest of your design.

Is it neat that the letters form a diamond in between? yes. Is it something to be proud of that you could "see" that in your mind and the spatial dynamics of the letters are coming to you? yes.

Does it really work as is? No. All clarity and legibility are lost. Chris is right, it reads as "W" right now. Now you can reverse engineer it and do some work to make it readable and see if the diamond stays as you imagined. Make the vertical line of the N taller and crop the leftmost part of the Y so that none underlaps the N and makes that confusing W shape. That may work.

Its pretty nice btw and welcome to the board. But this is sort of textbook of letting one idea steer you and not the other way around.

Keep working at it and keep showing us please. :D

Oh yeah, RE: shark pants. Whoa. Discrim would be proud. Thats unique and pretty cool. Although it reads as some sort of tattoo or something and make sure you are happy where Sharkies nose lies on all those players. Might be sniffing all sorts of things!!!

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I can see what Chris means by it looking somewhat like a "W".I can definitely tell it's an NY,but at first glance it can look like a 'W'.I also like the "Diamonds" jersey script,and the black and red color scheme is one I'm always partial to.For some reason the font on the Diamonds' script makes me want to sing "Strutter" from KISS,and I have'nt figured out why yet!

Open up an account at photobucket.com.It's free and it allows you to post your images directly into your post instead of linking them.It's the preferred host of the CCSLC 

Now that I've re-read that it does come off sounding like an advertisement for Photobucket.Oh well...if they need a salesman!

98Falcons.png

call me crazy, but i like the NY logo.... at the very least, for a minor league team. it's neat :)

only thing i'd change is i'd change the black diamond to a 3D "jewel" in like white and grey tones for shading. give it some depth.

Stay away from that word "Negros."

You might get the Politically Correct Police on your ass.

They started tailing me after I used "wop" a few times as a sound effect in my comic.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

The interpretation of the Diamonds' "NY" logo as "W" that Chris, Sterling, and Robbman have mentioned had really never occurred to me! Now I can see what you guys mean, of course; but I think there must be a way to keep the basic idea, and alter it enough so that, at the very first glance, it says "NY" and not "W". Maybe I will try to change the lengths of some of the lines in the N and the Y as Sterling suggested, or else maybe somehow alter the widths of the black border between the letters.

Sterling84: Oh yeah, RE: shark pants. Whoa. Discrim would be proud. Thats unique and pretty cool. Although it reads as some sort of tattoo or something and make sure you are happy where Sharkies nose lies on all those players. Might be sniffing all sorts of things!!!

Thanks for the nice compliment! And, yeah, some people have made fun of the location of the shark, saying that it looks like it is going to bite the player?s balls off!

Robbman21: I also like the "Diamonds" jersey script,and the black and red color scheme is one I'm always partial to.For some reason the font on the Diamonds' script makes me want to sing "Strutter" from KISS,and I have'nt figured out why yet!

Yes, I did steal that S from Kiss! I imagined what the rest of that font must look like, long before I had ever seen the Die Nasty font. Even though I am a big Kiss fan (the whole history, incidentally, not just the makeup years), I don?t really like the Die Nasty font. It seems to use the curved line from the K as sort of a theme, whereas I used mostly straight lines in my ad hoc font

ColeDMD: call me crazy, but i like the NY logo.... at the very least, for a minor league team. it's neat only thing i'd change is i'd change the black diamond to a 3D "jewel" in like white and grey tones for shading. give it some depth.

Wow, I hate to disappoint the only guy who likes the NY logo, but I don?t like shading. Sorry to be out of style, but I don?t go for the whole "faux-3-D" thing. I really think that a logo ought to embrace the 2-D environment and use the strengths of a 2-D shape, and should not strive to be a poor representation of 3-D.

For a prime example of what I mean by this, consider the New Jersey Nets. Beautiful uniform, with a nice straight-ahead wordmark.

Their logo, however, uses faux-3-D, and twists the wordmark -- and the shield on which it rests -- into a distorted shape. It also uses some other faux-3-D elements that I consider rather spurious, such as the beveling (if that is the right term) on the letters, and, silliest of all, the shadows on the basketball of the shield and of that ring thing. (What is that ring, anyway? Is it a basketball hoop? If it is a hoop, where is the net? Isn't it odd that the net is missing from the Nets' logo?)

For my own amusement, I have "straightened out" the Nets' logo. Here is their current logo, alongside my "straightened" version:

logonjnetssm7ix.giflogonetsstraightaheadsm3zl.gif

See what I mean? Just clean, solid colors, and no shadows. And, no extraneous ambiguous ring/hoop structures. Unfortunately, the prevailing trend is away from this type of straightforward 2-D presentation, and towards the weak imitation of 3-D effects.

Suigi: Stay away from that word "Negros." You might get the Politically Correct Police on your ass.

Well, the logo and unis were done for a friend who had already named his sim baseball team Los Tiburones Negros. He is of Cuban descent and identifies as both Latin and black, so his inclusion of the word "Negros" was totally intentional. (We did, of course kid him about the return of the Negro Leagues, and other such things.) If a real team wanted to use these unis, they could just be called the Tiburones without the word "Negros", and it would still work fine, I would think.

They started tailing me after I used "wop" a few times as a sound effect in my comic.

Also, the Tiburones are not the only team in our league that has an ethnic basis! My own team is composed of all Italian players, and it is called the Paesani, sometimes referred to as the "Big Greazy Machine". I hadn?t mentioned this team?s logo and uniform up until now, mainly because they are so cheesy. But I still like them. The whole thing is a copy of the 1993 Blue Jays uni -- which I did because the Italian soccer team is called "gli Azzuri" ("the Blues") and formerly wore unis that had Blue Jay-style lettering.

(Note the mustache on the Paesani uniform illustration. Yes, that is part of the uniform -- every Paesani player must have a mustache. Anyone who cannot grow a mustache is pumped full of potentially lethal levels of hormones. Sorry, Mr. Biggio; those are the rules.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Hey, nothing wrong with ordering moustachioed players.

In that case, why haven't the Paesani drafted one of the most famous moustached Italians of all time?

mario-baseball-20041123072305216.jpg

And yes, Mario Baseball is destined for GC pretty soon. No word on any actual MLB affiliation...

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Hey, nothing wrong with ordering moustachioed players.

In that case, why haven't the Paesani drafted one of the most famous moustached Italians of all time?

Because it's a men's team, not a women's team.

Yes, I went there. I'm Italian and I went there :D

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived