Women's football

-kj

I happened to meet some of the members of the Minnesota Vixen of the WPFL this weekend, and snapped a picture of them in their jerseys:

Vixen uniforms

They have a really cool logo, which is featured on the sleeves.  Of course, you can't see that in the picture.

Their logo:

mainlogosm.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I agree, the logo is cool. Better than some professional teams. But, women's football isn't very big. I think there's been an ESPN Outside the Lines show about it and stuff, but I don't think there's a women's professional league. The women have to pay for their own equipment, jerseys, and I think it was something like $50 a year per player to cover other fees. I think there are a few other women's leagues, but none of them are big.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Seems like there are four or five different leagues.  The Vixen play in the WPFL, which has twenty teams.  It's "professional," though it seems that it's more club than professional, with the players paying alot of their way.  I know the Vixen are making trips to Miami and Syracuse this season, they're really excited, and nervous, about going that far to play.  They also said their game in Miami will be in the Orange Bowl, which is rather cool.

POTD 2013-08-22

Women's professional football may not be popular now, but if they could start it right after Arena Football stops (Arena football is growing in popularity) and start it at the beginning of this month and move Arena Football up to after the Super Bowl, we could have year round football of three different types! :)

Anyway, here are some other logos from around the WPFL.

speedlogo.gif

image012.jpg

Most teams have pretty nice logos.

sig09.jpg

Women's professional football may not be popular now, but if they could start it right after Arena Football stops (Arena football is growing in popularity) and start it at the beginning of this month and move Arena Football up to after the Super Bowl, we could have year round football of three different types! :)

Only problem then is that womens football would be up against the WNBA.

I only asked because every now again they try to make womens soccewr popular in the UK, but it never quite gets going.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's amazing how much time and effort (not to mention money) that women's "pro" football teams are putting into their team identity design projects. The majority of teams in the National Women's Football Conference (formerly, the National Women's Football League... until the NFL threatened to sue) have slick, professionally-designed logos.

Brian in Boston

No kidding.  Looks to me like many of them are by the same designer, judging by the football included in many of them.

Talk about a big league, here are the teams of the NWFA:

http://www.nwflcentral.com/Teams.htm

POTD 2013-08-22

The Minnesota Vixens easily have the best logo in the Women's Professional Football League. It's not even a close contest.

IMHO, the standouts in the National Women's Football Association (sorry about the "Conference" mix-up) are:

Tennessee Venom

Kansas City Krunch (A bit like the old AFL Predators' logo.)

Philadelphia Phoenix

Evansville Express

Junction City Cavalry

Chattanooga Locomotion

Detroit Demolition

Dallas Dragons

Pittsburgh Passion (I don't know why... I just like it.)

Mockba, I believe I read somewhere that the vast amjority of logos in the NWFA were indeed designed by the same artist.

I also stumbled across a pretty cool logo (though it will strike some as very "minor-league") at the Independent Women's Football League sight. It's for a team called the San Diego SeaCatz, and you'll find it at the bottom of the page.    

www.iwflsports.com/team.php

Brian in Boston

Has anybody else noticed that the logo for the Rochester Raptors of the NWFL in not a Raptor, but a Pteradactyl?  What's the deal there?
Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I know that a raptor can mean a bird of prey or, as NBA Toronto used, a dinosaur. Maybe they combined the two ideas.

It could be that a raptor can mean any winged predator, in which case the pterodactyl is not out of place.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I also think the logos for this league are very well done. A lot of them look like they could have easily been done by the same person. However, I don't know how the Knighthawks and Fire get away with their plagiarism. Also, the Aftershock and Blast logos are below what many folks here put out, and the Sting could definitely have been more original.

That said, the Caliente (unique name), Vixen, and Ice logos are particularly nice, and several others also score high.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I pterodactyl isn't a bird. It's a reptile.  And also, they don't have tails.

They went a little overboard.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I also think the logos for this league are very well done. A lot of them look like they could have easily been done by the same person. However, I don't know how the Knighthawks and Fire get away with their plagiarism. Also, the Aftershock and Blast logos are below what many folks here put out, and the Sting could definitely have been more original.

That said, the Caliente (unique name), Vixen, and Ice logos are particularly nice, and several others also score high.

the fire should be the first to have to deal with plagarism...they clearly used turned the calgary flames "C" into an "O" , and used the "Fire" script from the Rein Fire of the NFLEL (NFL Europe).....the nighthawks not as much but i can definately see ATL Hawks in that logo  :laugh:

Someone has put a great deal of time into developing looks for these teams. I know the leagues and the players take it very seriously, regardless of whether it's "professional"

Here's a website dedicated to the sport in general -- every league, team and, of course, logo:

Boo's Unofficial Guide to Women's Professional Football

You can also see many of the helmets at my site.

Helmets, Helmets, Helmets

Misterhabs

Archived