Buying numbers

jphick77

We've heard a lot recently about players buying their favorite numbers off other players (see Washington's Clinton Portis, Atlanta's Brian Jordan), and I was wondering if anyone knows if there was a price exacted for Rodrigo Lopez to get back his "13" from O's skipper Lee Mazzilli?

Wasn't Lopez on the team before Mazzilli was hired?

He was, but he switched to #19 to accomodate him last year. I think that Mazzilli was partial to 13 during his playing days, though I don't know what he wore as a Yankees coach.

The good thing for me is my lucky number is #27. Very few players wear that number, or even good players for that matter. Kevin Brown and Fred McGriff are the only two that really come to mind. So...if I was ever good enough to play pro, I'd never have to buy my number. Unfortunately, that will never be =(.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Mazzilli wore #16 throughout most of his playing career. He had to switch to #13 when he was traded back to the Mets in 1986 because Doc Gooden had #16. I think his number as a Yankee coach was 53. He wore #24 when he played briefly for the Yanks in 1982 - #16 was retired for Whitey Ford.

BgMack27 - a couple of other famous 27's: Vladimir Guerrero with the Angels and Catfish Hunter, who had 27 retired in his honor by the A's.

this was actually mentioned in the Baltimore Sun within the last couple of weeks. Apparently, Mazzilli made the switch withouth telling Lopez, then invited Lopez into his office where he had a #13 jersey waiting for him. Maz did it in appreciation for Lopez working hard for him, especially with his constantly changing role last year from starter to bullpen and back. A nice move by Maz.

BGMack:

A couple of Baseball #27s were traded for each other:

Scott Rolen - #27 (was 5 and 17 with the Phillies, then 16 with the Cards, now 27)

Placido Polanco - #27 (was 23 with the Phillies, now 27)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

this was actually mentioned in the Baltimore Sun within the last couple of weeks. Apparently, Mazzilli made the switch withouth telling Lopez, then invited Lopez into his office where he had a #13 jersey waiting for him. Maz did it in appreciation for Lopez working hard for him, especially with his constantly changing role last year from starter to bullpen and back. A nice move by Maz.

Thanks a lot!! I live in Berkeley, CA now, so I don't see the Sun much anymore; thanks for keeping me in the loop.

i read somewhere, perhaps here even that eli manning bought #10 and Plaxico Burress bought #17 from Jeff Feagles. apparently from eli he got a family vacation paid for and from burress he got an addition to his summer house in arizona paid for. I thinking that you can make out pretty well being a kicker in the league with these kinda things. Feagles now will wear 18 i believe.

Yeah it's happened a lot. I remember when Rickey Henderson was traded back to the A's from the Yankees in 1989, he paid off Ron Hassey I think $2,000-$3,000 for the #24. Rickey wore #22 for a couple of weeks and then got 24 back. Hassey wore #27 after the numeral swap. Ironically enough, it's unclear if Henderson approached pitcher Bob Welch about getting #35 back, the number he wore in his first stint in Oakland.

In hockey, when the Sharks traded for Adam Graves, he had no problem sweet talking forward and former Ranger Teammate, Todd Harvey to buy off his traditional #9. If I recall the press release, Harvey was commented by saying, "terms of the deal were no disclosed, but I'll say, I'm getting a lot of stuff!" Harvey went to #13.

This year, the Giants signed Omar Visquel from Cleveland and got #13 from Edgardo Alfonso, who switched to #12. No word how much for the switch.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Last year, Michael Barrett of the Cubs gave #5 to Nomar, who was wearing #8 after he was aquired, in exchange for nothing. The only stipulation was that Nomar seriously consider a return to the "Northside Nine" when his contract expired in the off-season.

As you all know, Nomar reup'd with Chicago. :)

6uXNWAo.png

Last year, Michael Barrett of the Cubs gave #5 to Nomar, who was wearing #8 after he was aquired, in exchange for nothing. The only stipulation was that Nomar seriously consider a return to the "Northside Nine" when his contract expired in the off-season.

And then his groin exploded.

Last year, Michael Barrett of the Cubs gave #5 to Nomar, who was wearing #8 after he was aquired, in exchange for nothing.  The only stipulation was that Nomar seriously consider a return to the "Northside Nine" when his contract expired in the off-season.

And then his groin exploded.

At least he did it as a Cub. :):(

(Post #200. Sweet!)

6uXNWAo.png

Archived