NASCAR Nextel All Star Challenge

yankeeman161

Well, tomorrow is NASCAR's All Star Event, the Nextel All Star Challenge, formerly The Winston at Lowe's Motor Speedway. The defending winner is Matt Kenseth and he looks to be one of the favorites as well as the pick of the owner of LMS, Humpy Wheeler has chosen Jeff Gordon as am I. Here is how the event goes down:

First is the Open, a 30 lap, 2 segment race to give drivers an opportunity to earn their way into the feature race and my pick is Kyle Busch who is due for a win after his run at Vegas. The 22nd and final spot will be chosen by a fan vote at NASCAR.com, which should go to Jamie McMurray.

Then, the main event, The All Star Event itself which features 2004-2005 race winners, former All Star winners and former Cup Champions. It is a 90 lap, 135 mile race split into 3 segments. The unusal thing this year is that NO drivers will be eliminated, to insure that the entire field will participate in the last segment. Also between the first 2 segments, a drawing is done to see how many postions are inverted with as many as 6 to 12 spots that could change.

It's a fun night where it's more about money than points and the drivers seem to have a good time. Let's hear your thoughts as well as the thought on the event changing race tracks in the future.

story.gif

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

The Champ Kurt Busch will win!!

He was at the Bi-Lo today.

Going tomorrow. The Black Crowes are playing before the race @ 3, Maybe I can catch a look at Kate Hudson.

Only thing I don't like is, traffic sucks around here on a regular day and it really sucks for these 2 weeks. People started showing up last week, some make a 3 week deal out of the whole thing.

Go Rusty!

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

yep, let the speed weeks begin...

traffic's a mess in the northern part of the city (and i-85 Concord construction won't help). have fun at the show. next week all the free concerts will be downtown. should be good events with the track resurfacing, more side by side racin'.

Ryan's been hot in CLT and has held the "official" track speed record for qualifying. i'd like to see ol' BL (the green 18) get back into winning shape here. there'll be tons to watch for. the people watching is half the fun.

make win for the money and glory each week i say, beats any point system, hands down.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Whats wrong with Dale Jr. this year hes not even competeing it seems?

As much as DEI wants to deny it I think the swap that Jr. and Waltrip did with the crew, info, crew chief, etc. really messed up the chemistry they had. Although Mikey has benefitted somewhat from the old #8 equipment it's really hurt Jr. as he tries to bring the old #15 up to par.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Whats wrong with Dale Jr. this year hes not even competeing it seems?

As much as DEI wants to deny it I think the swap that Jr. and Waltrip did with the crew, info, crew chief, etc. really messed up the chemistry they had. Although Mikey has benefitted somewhat from the old #8 equipment it's really hurt Jr. as he tries to bring the old #15 up to par.

Agreed. Looks like it may not have been the best decision in retrospect. Hopefully the team gets its act together before too long. Either way...

Go Junior!!!

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

I'm probably gonna have to go with one of the new guys, Carl Edwards or Kasey Kahne.

Reason being, the guys are drivin' fools. They are both awesome at 1.5 mile tracks, and both know how to hustle a car to the limit in short sprints. Remember Edwards' comeback with only a couple laps left at Atlanta? I had NEVER seen someone get so much out of his car. He literally was on the cords of his tires!

And Kahne is riding a HUGE wave of momentum entering the race, having just got his first win and a 3rd place the week before, as well as two straight poles.

Well, it looks like the sentimental favorite, Mark Martin took the win tonight, good for Mark having won it a couple of times and he roared passed Elliott Sadler with those 4 tires at the end. Even if Mark does'nt win anything else all year its a good win for him. And how about the fight with Harvick and Nemechek during and after the race. Saw it on Sportscenter and Harvick really let Joe have it calling him a f-ing has-been. Unbelieveable.

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

Well, it looks like the sentimental favorite, Mark Martin took the win tonight, good for Mark having won it a couple of times and he roared passed Elliott Sadler with those 4 tires at the end. Even if Mark does'nt win anything else all year its a good win for him. And how about the fight with Harvick and Nemechek during and after the race. Saw it on Sportscenter and Harvick really let Joe have it calling him a f-ing has-been. Unbelieveable.

Elliot Sadler's team is a bunch of dummies. If this was a points race they'd be kicking themselves. But yeah, Harvick is once again at odds with someone in the Cup Series. GAWD, does he ever slow his roll???

Archived