Who wore the biggest numerals in NFL History?

totc

Watching old NFL Films footage the other day, especially from the days without names on the back, I wonder whose numerals were actually the biggest? The 49ers of the mid-60s looked freakin' huge. Same with the Seahawks of the Largent era (with the fishnet mesh bodies). I also seem to remember the New York Yanks' numbers looked as oversized as Aussie Rules numerals.

Any collectors out there have any idea?

I know the Houston Oilers of the 70s wore small numerals, almost the same size as today's baseball numerals. It was weird, because it seemed like the rest of the league had "normal" sized numerals.

As far as "big" numerals, the Packers of the 60s come to mind...but I could be wrong.

My guess is that the biggest numerals would have been worn in the mid to late 60's. This was before nameplates were mandatory, so there was a lot more real estate to cover on the backs of the jerseys.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think it would have to be those Seahawk numbers from the mid-late 80's. While the lack of nameplates left more room for numbers back in the 60's pads were smaller as well, so there wasn't necessarily as much material to cover in the first place.

Archived