Why does Australia....

Thunderstruk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty cool flag. I think the Southern Cross should always be our identity internationally though, it's very recognisable and EVERY Aussie loves it. Yes we're not the only ones to use it, but we can share with our neighbours. :D

There's a group called Ausflag that hosts design competitions from time to time. You can see them here.

This is my favorite of the flags proposed, from the 1993 competition:

93-1-a.gif

93-1.gif

Flag Proportion: 2:3

Ausflag ran its second major public design competition for a new Australian flag in conjunction with The Australian newspaper in September 1993 shortly after Sydney won the rights to host the 2000 Olympics. The competition had a total prize pool of $25 000 and attracted over 20 000 entries.

The winning design (above) was announced on 17 December 1993. The winner was Mark Tucker, a graphic designer from Bellevue Hill in Sydney, who was awarded $12 000 from the prizemoney pool.

The red arc at the bottom represents the endless horizon of the great South Land. It could also be taken as a representation of Uluru, the famous monolith and symbol of central Australia. The blue above represents our clear, wide skies. The white band is an heraldic device, but capable of interpretation as the white beaches surrounding the Great Island Continent. Finally, the Southern Cross appears in the primary position, towards the pole, as the badge with which Australians identify.

I like it. It has a hint of the Union Jack, but with meaning unique to Australia.

Quite a few countries have colours that aren't their flag colours.

For starters:

India wear light blue in sports, their flag is orange, green and white.

New Zealand wear black or white, their flag is red, white and blue.

Northern Ireland wear green and white, their flag is white and red.

Italy and Holland as mentioned above

As far as the Aussies, we've worn green and gold in various forms in every sporting event that I can remember.

Over time (and with fashion) it has varied from jade green to olive and highlighter pen yellow to almost orange.

But technically, always green and gold.

It's our sporting colours.

Besides, who says a country has to wear a uniform incorporating their flag colors? If they did that, virtually every sports team in the world would have combinations of red, white, and blue. Probably 80% of the world's flags have red and/or blue and/or white in it.

My old NHL game for Playstation was annoying that way...all the international teams had very similar uniforms except for Sweden and Germany.

I think all US teams should adopt BLACK uniforms when we play other countries to go with our Darth Vader-like perception those countries have of us! :D

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Australia_GK_SS_2004_Badge.jpglogo_thumbnail.gif

That's our coat of arms.

The good thing with it, is it's only able to be used by the actual representative team.

So Soccer Australia can wear this above, and any replica soccer shirts will have something over the state logos to distinguish them from the originals.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

als opart of the law is that they cannot sell thigns to the public with our Coat of Arm on it, so the replicas have the Soccer Australia logo on it (or ASA or FFA or FA or whatever they want to call themselves in our great country)

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Not sure about not being able to sell things with the coat of arms...

I remember the Australian Rugby League used a new crest for a few years because of that issue with the coat of arms but they've recently changed back to the coat of arms on the jersey and you can buy replicas with the logo on it again. I've got one of the older jerseys (the classic green with double gold v) with that "new" crest circa 1994 but noticed the newer replicas have gone back to the traditional coat of arms. Also the ARU sells Wallabies jerseys with what looks like the real coat of arms as well.

I know Cricket Australia and Soccer Australia never sell merchandise with the coat of arms to ensure that the real shirts are unique.

liverpool-1.png

Not sure about not being able to sell things with the coat of arms...

I remember the Australian Rugby League used a new crest for a few years because of that issue with the coat of arms but they've recently changed back to the coat of arms on the jersey and you can buy replicas with the logo on it again. I've got one of the older jerseys (the classic green with double gold v) with that "new" crest circa 1994 but noticed the newer replicas have gone back to the traditional coat of arms. Also the ARU sells Wallabies jerseys with what looks like the real coat of arms as well.

I know Cricket Australia and Soccer Australia never sell merchandise with the coat of arms to ensure that the real shirts are unique.

Both rugby jerseys have a rugby ball over the top of the coat of arms.

Usually you can get them exact, apart from that one small detail.

861_lge.jpg

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

As a government employee, let me confirm that Mero is correct :)

The official Australian coat of arms cannot be used by a non-government body without the approval of the Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet. Hence why tourist-y souvenir type merchandise never replicates the CoA exactly, and why you get stuff like:

IntrnRuls_Grnsy.jpg

Notice that the replica guernsey has coloured squares in place of the state emblems - the genuine article has the proper design in place.

As a government employee, let me confirm that Mero is correct :)

The official Australian coat of arms cannot be used by a non-government body without the approval of the Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet. Hence why tourist-y souvenir type merchandise never replicates the CoA exactly, and why you get stuff like:

IntrnRuls_Grnsy.jpg

Notice that the replica guernsey has coloured squares in place of the state emblems - the genuine article has the proper design in place.

so are you responsible for the problems in our immigration department? :P

i liike that IR jersey, i would get one if i had money and had a job (i might try get a job at the Melbourne Victory soccer team!)

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived