Memphis, not Vegas or Charlotte

BallWonk

Edit: Changed the images with new scripts, darker brown, correct spellings.

Made these in response to the "Las Vegas or Charlotte" thread, somehow mistaking "Memphis" for "Charlotte." Which is fine, really; Memphis should get a team before Charlotte anyway. I'd like to see a team use brown tastefully - sort of like the opposite of how the Padres used to use it - and I've been digging on brown and light blue of late.

Cap logo based on riverboat smokestacks, home script with red highlights, road script based loosely on the shape of the cap logo, road uniform a warm gray.

Ideally, this would be the former Devil Rays, but the conditions of the Rays' ballpark lease are such that the Yankees are more likely to relocate in the next decade than Tampa.

memphisunishome.png

memphisunisroad.png

20082614447.png

You stole my COLORS!!!! I used brown in my Las Vegas Chaparrals idea....its in that vegas/charlotte thread...i used brown and a light cyan too!!!! :P but i did post before you!

I like yours, the cap is great...all in all it needs something else....I dont know what though.

You stole my COLORS!!!! I used brown in my Las Vegas Chaparrals idea....its in that vegas/charlotte thread...i used brown and a light cyan too!!!! :P but i did post before you!

I like yours, the cap is great...all in all it needs something else....I dont know what though.

I just went and looked at your Vegas logo in the original thread. Your Chaparrals work completely rocks, and I'm sure your unis will be great when you do 'em. The yellow you add to the mix really completes the logo, and in comparison you're right that there's something missing from my Memphis set. It's just a little bit flat.

20082614447.png

Looks pretty good. I'd put the piping on the road jerseys as well.

If you were trying to draft Memphis' most famous son, you spelled it incorrectly. Don't feel bad, his tombstone's not right either. :P

What are you talking about his tombstone? I'm not 100% sure, but I think his middle name is actually spelled Aron. I went to college with a guy who spelled his name the same way.

I just went and looked at your Vegas logo in the original thread. Your Chaparrals work completely rocks, and I'm sure your unis will be great when you do 'em. The yellow you add to the mix really completes the logo, and in comparison you're right that there's something missing from my Memphis set. It's just a little bit flat.

Thanks for the kind words, man. Maybe what you need is a third color as an outline to make your stuff POP.

Looks pretty good.  I'd put the piping on the road jerseys as well.

If you were trying to draft Memphis' most famous son, you spelled it incorrectly.  Don't feel bad, his tombstone's not right either.  :P

What are you talking about his tombstone? I'm not 100% sure, but I think his middle name is actually spelled Aron. I went to college with a guy who spelled his name the same way.

Yep, "Aron" is what is on his birth certificate.

elvisbirthcert.jpg

But "Aaron" is what's on his tombstone.

elvis_grave.JPG

Sorry, shouldn't have started us on this tangent. It's still a great concept you've got, and I don't think you need any more colors for it to pop. Looks good to me as it is.

Edit: Changed the images with new scripts, darker brown, correct spellings.

Made these in response to the "Las Vegas or Charlotte" thread, somehow mistaking "Memphis" for "Charlotte." Which is fine, really; Memphis should get a team before Charlotte anyway. I'd like to see a team use brown tastefully - sort of like the opposite of how the Padres used to use it - and I've been digging on brown and light blue of late.

Cap logo based on riverboat smokestacks, home script with red highlights, road script based loosely on the shape of the cap logo, road uniform a warm gray.

Ideally, this would be the former Devil Rays, but the conditions of the Rays' ballpark lease are such that the Yankees are more likely to relocate in the next decade than Tampa.

memphisunishome.png

memphisunisroad.png

I really like this. Classy.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Sweet sassy molassy, ballwonk, great minds think alike. Back in '89 when I was at work doodling, I started to develop a third major baseball league and came up with the same name for a Memphis franchise, and had the same idea for a cap that used the smokestacks as the outside lines of the "M". But mine had more of a connecting cast iron "filigree" as the middle portion of the "M". Sort of like this:

MEMPHIS.JPG

It always came out looking too much like an "H", though. I had much better luck doing an "M" out of back-to-back musical notes for a "Memphis Blues" NFL expansion franchise I designed back then.... but I digress....

Yours looks better.

Back to the design at hand-- very nice work, but I agree with AAO-- darken the brown a bit.

Looks sort of like Tufts University's color scheme....

Is no. 35 "Green" for Al Green? Solid.

It is what it is.

Sweet sassy molassy, ballwonk, great minds think alike.  Back in '89 when I was at work doodling, I started to develop a third major baseball league and came up with the same name for a Memphis franchise, and had the same idea for a cap that used the smokestacks as the outside lines of the "M".  But mine had more of a connecting cast iron "filigree" as the middle portion of the "M". 

Is no. 35 "Green" for Al Green? Solid.

Actually, the perfect version of this concept that exists only in my head has lots of steelwork filigree like your drawing, but the filigree was just too hard to draw so I ditched it. Conceptually, I still think the filigree is the way to go; I'm just not the guy to make it work.

And yes, the Rev. Green will throw out the first pitch, although he really ought to be number 47.

20082614447.png

I like alots the font of "Streamers"!!! And it's truly an achievement designing a baseball jersey with that font.

What font is that?

The colors... mmmhhh... aren't bad, I'm with a personal taste with another colors... for me, light blue+brown, mmmmhhh... but as I already said: aren't bad.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Not crazy about the color combo here. Brown doesn't work with the other colors, and besides, do you really want brown associated with a team called the Steamers?

Usually the color brown is warm and associated with another warm colors like yellow, orange, perhaps red. Not with blue or green (cold colors).

But... the blue there is a light blue one and may not "offend" strongly the view.

pennants.png

I like the color combination... but shouldn't the Steamers be from Cleveland? ;-)

Aw, Tim beat me to it.

Our intramural team in college got away with naming ourselves "The Cleveland Steamers". And none of us grew up within 7 hours of Cleveland! :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Sorry... what font is it? I thought it was Loki Cola (like Coca-Cola) but it isn't.

pennants.png

Sorry... what font is it? I thought it was Loki Cola (like Coca-Cola) but it isn't.

It's a (slightly) modified form of American Pop Two, one of a set of three fonts that clone the Coca-Cola script. I changed some of the connections and tightened it up a tiny bit. I believe I got the American Pop family - One, Two, and Plain - from Font Mesa, but I can't be positive.

20082614447.png

Ahhh, thanks! :)

The font gave full life to the jersey... it's elegant and solid. That's why I asked for it.

Chapeau!

pennants.png

I like it...I grew up in Memphis...unfortunately it's not much of a baseball town.

Sure, they have this nice new AAA ballpark and the Redbirds draw, but only because they are the Cardinals' affiliate.

The old Memphis Chicks (AA for Expos, Royals, Mariners, Padres) didn't draw much at all.

Hell, Memphis is a basketball town and the Griz can't even sell out.

Archived